Danny Roddy - "Ray Peat Inspired Nutrition - Liver Pâté"

sweetpeat

This looks...interesting. Has anyone tried it yet?
Also, how long would it keep? Do you have to eat it fairly soon, or would it keep for a day or two in the fridge?

narouz

sweetpeat said:
Also, how long would it keep? Do you have to eat it fairly soon, or would it keep for a day or two in the fridge?

I haven't watched how Danny makes it yet,
but traditionally it is "sealed" by topping the pate with a liberal layer of butter.
I've done it that way and have felt fine eating it for at least a week
in a good cold refrigerator.

sweetpeat

narouz said:
sweetpeat said:

I haven't watched how Danny makes it yet,
but traditionally it is "sealed" by topping the pate with a liberal layer of butter.
I've done it that way and have felt fine eating it for at least a week
in a good cold refrigerator.

Thanks, narouz. I've led a sheltered life. Pate is an exotic food to me. :)
I guess I'll be the guinea pig and try it soon though.

Danny's videos are worth watching just for the musical accompaniments!
Come for the food, stay for the music :cool:

DaveFoster

Does anyone personally know any good liver pâté sources?

I hate the taste of liver, and buying it fresh is too much hassle.

tyler

I also had serious trouble eating liver. Have you tried liverwurst? It's been a godsend for me. I order a bunch of it from US Wellness meats and defrost as needed. Its ingredients are beef liver, kidney, heart, and some spices. Thats it. And it tastes incredible- seriously delicious.

amethyst

Yes, I found this product called Nueske's Smoked Liver Pate. Just google it. It is outta this world!!!

lvysaur

If there's ever a time to fry something and wallop it with spices, it's when making liver.

DaveFoster

I also had serious trouble eating liver. Have you tried liverwurst? It's been a godsend for me. I order a bunch of it from US Wellness meats and defrost as needed. Its ingredients are beef liver, kidney, heart, and some spices. Thats it. And it tastes incredible- seriously delicious.
Yes, I found this product called Nueske's Smoked Liver Pate. Just google it. It is outta this world!!!
Thanks you guys; I'll give both a try.
If there's ever a time to fry something and wallop it with spices, it's when making liver.
The smell though, ugh.

sladerunner69

Soak the liver in milk for 30 minutes and then cook it. I despise the taste of liver as well, this trick makes all the difference to me.

M

member 2106

Why does liver taste so bad to so many people? Most of us wouldn't eat it if we didn't realise it was packed with nutrients. Isn't disgust a sign that we shouldn't be eating something? Or is it that we're so habituated to muscle meats that organs and offal have become by comparison repulsive?

tara

What would you do with the leftover coconut oil used to fry the liver? Will it still be good to re use or not?
I generally don't keep it more than a few hours at most. If I don't have spuds or similar to pour it over for myself, the cat's always happy to help clean it up. I don't use very much oil though, just half a teaspoon or so.

A.R

I generally don't keep it more than a few hours at most. If I don't have spuds or similar to pour it over for myself, the cat's always happy to help clean it up. I don't use very much oil though, just half a teaspoon or so.
Is half a teaspoon enough for you when you fry liver? How much do you fry at once? Thank You

A.R

Soak the liver in milk for 30 minutes and then cook it. I despise the taste of liver as well, this trick makes all the difference to me.
Do you first rinse it In water to remove the blood or straight away soak in milk?

DaveFoster

@DaveFoster, have you tried adding onions (even if you discart them later)?

Fried with onions and drowned in gravy helps. And salt. You almost can't taste it.

I'll try these, but I'm going to try other methods first, as I find cooking liver time consuming and with a particularly smelly smell that smells.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals