I'm.No.One

One day I'm going to have a place out in the rural area down a dirt road. I'm going to get some cats and get them to reproduce and multiply like nobody's business. The countryside will be overrun with cats.
And you'll quickly be overwhelmed & unable to feed hundreds of cats.

They'll ***t in ALL of your gardens.

They'll kill any young poultry you have.

Your nearest neighbors will have to take action & likely start shooting them.

The county will also get involved & can begin fining you until you get the population into control.

But the toxoplasmosis that's controlling your really odd lust for cats will never let you understand any of this.

Seriously though you're using "it's bad for their hormones" to justify what honestly sounds like the beginning of a long sad animal hoarding situation.

P.S.~ We just adopted two cats, had their balls cut off promptly.

Don

And you'll quickly be overwhelmed & unable to feed hundreds of cats.

They'll ***t in ALL of your gardens.

They'll kill any young poultry you have.

Your nearest neighbors will have to take action & likely start shooting them.

The county will also get involved & can begin fining you until you get the population into control.

But the toxoplasmosis that's controlling your really odd lust for cats will never let you understand any of this.

Seriously though you're using "it's bad for their hormones" to justify what honestly sounds like the beginning of a long sad animal hoarding situation.

P.S.~ We just adopted two cats, had their balls cut off promptly.
Maybe he is dreaming of creating a Red Dwarf type scenario LOL

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The momma cat is very healthy and happy now after giving birth for the last time 11 months ago. Her fur is shiny and all 4 of the cats go on walks with me in the woods.
AB8AF1AB-58A2-4CC7-BAF5-A1DF2E8A584E.jpeg
8670A823-84FF-48D6-83D4-3B59B4222FD9.jpeg

Attachments

• B444590D-4D42-4B08-9D24-6B486F5696B7.jpeg
    B444590D-4D42-4B08-9D24-6B486F5696B7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

joaquin

Nature took care of the cat population for thousands of years. I trust God put everything in balance.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Nature took care of the cat population for thousands of years. I trust God put everything in balance.
Yes, it’s brutal to witness though when you are helping take care of them.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
F10E9D75-26AF-4F0E-88CA-D61F3949300C.jpeg

Here’s mama cat coming to see me on my walk this morning. She’s very happy and healthy.

joaquin

Yes, it’s brutal to witness though when you are helping take care of them.
Cats took care of themselves for thousands of years. I am not a god.
Also, there are a billions of cats that live outside and continue to take care of themselves without help from me, as I am not a god.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Cats took care of themselves for thousands of years. I am not a god.
Also, there are a billions of cats that live outside and continue to take care of themselves without help from me, as I am not a god.
True. We all get to decide for ourselves. When we had 8 cats dumped off in our barn we chose to care for them the best we could feeling this is an instruction given by God to man. We’ve spent quite a bit of money and time that we weren’t planning for but feel we did the best we could for them given the circumstances. My BIL spent $700 and all day at the vet when one got ran over by a car. It’s been a huge responsibility and perhaps we should not have started feeding and caring for them in the first place and just let nature pick them off slowly one by one… but we chose to try to give them the best life we could instead.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
On a purely practical note the barn was starting to smell really bad from cat excrement.

LucyL

Removing ovaries in humans is associated with a plethora of diseases (Wikipedia). Spaying dogs was shown to have negative effects in multiple studies (see here). However, for cats it is claimed that spaying hardly has any negative effects or even worse, that it's overall beneficial.

How is that possible? Isn't the biology of humans, dogs and cats similar enough that spaying should produce similar effects in these species? Is veterinary science really that stupid?

Like everything, you should weigh the balance depending on your priorities of health, not cultural narratives. I never spayed a cat before her first cycle and encouraged kitten buyers to do the same. Boys the rule was not before 6 months and preferably after at least a year of age. In a well managed household, keeping a female intact until she achieves full growth is the least risky thing to do. Same with dogs. But with dogs, you can get a uterus removal and and leave the ovaries intact.

I don't think cats and dogs are the same as us in this regard for a few reasons - primarily they don't experience menopause the way human women do. So I'm not convinced you "induce menopause" the way we think of it, with surgery - considering an adult animal of course. Cats also, behaviorally, are very different from humans and dogs when they ovulate so you really don't want to leave their ovaries in.

Intact or not doesn't seem to be any sort of life-span guarantee. I've known plenty of stud cats that were dead by 10 years old, same with queens. Best I've observed, neutering a fully developed cat or dog is neither here nor there in the lifespan game. Neutering an immature animal is a different story, I do think the evidence is on the side of negative benefit with that. A long healthy life is much more dependent on food and environment, and balancing necessary outdoor stimulation and safety for cats is another discussion entirely.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Is that some Scottish Fold in the mix?

Gorgeous pics :hearteyes: lucky cats
Might be! I had to look up Scottish Fold but the ears and large round head do look similar. They are all really sweet cats and I’m thankful we have been able to give them a decent life.