Dangers Of Iodized Salt; Normal Use Rapidly Induces Iodine Toxicity

JCastro

[Use of iodized salt and the risk of iodine overload].
Zahidi A, et al. Therapie. 1999 Sep-Oct.

"Iodine-deficiency disorders are a major problem of public health in Morocco. To mitigate this deficiency, the iodination of all the salt intended for human consumption in a proportion of 80 +/- 10 mg/kg of salt has become obligatory since a decree published in 1995. We estimated that this rate of iodized salt issued risked inducing an iodine excess in the population. To check this hypothesis, we provided 7 families made up of 28 subjects, who at the start were consuming a non-iodized salt, with the decreed, iodized salt and we followed the evolution of their urinary iodine excretion over a period of 3 weeks. The mean values of urinary iodine excretion of the 28 subjects were 12.8 micrograms/dl before use of iodized salt and 26.8, 35.5 and 63.2 micrograms/dl, respectively, after 7, 14 and 21 days from the introduction of iodized salt into their diet. After 21 days of the use of iodized salt, 84.6 per cent of the subjects had an iodine excess. We conclude that prolonged use of this iodized salt exposes the population to the risk of thyroid disorders."

Ras

So the authors assume that increased rates of iodine excretion mean that consumers of something as benign as iodized salt are at risk of thyroid disorders?

Please return this "scientific" study to the rubbish bin, lest weaker minds become defiled.

Amazoniac

Please return this "scientific" study to the rubbish bin
How could it fit in if it's already occupied by Rolling Stones' albums?

I amn't familiar with the procedure for these tests, it must vary depending on the time sampled, but I'm not sure if it's fair to dismiss it. 60 mcg/dl for someone that pees 10-20 dl a day isn't low, there might be unaccounted losses and it has to be coming from somewhere.

So the authors assume that increased rates of iodine excretion mean that consumers of something as benign as iodized salt are at risk of thyroid disorders?

Please return this "scientific" study to the rubbish bin, lest weaker minds become defiled.

Its stress-response eliciting.

Goiter prevalence, urinary iodine excretion, thyroid function and anti-thyroid function and anti-thyroid antibodies after 12 years of salt iodization in Shahriar, Iran.
Azizi F, et al. Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 2002.
Show full citation
Abstract

OBJECTIVE: In a previous study in 1983, goiter was found to be endemic in Shahriar, Iran. Iodized salt has been distributed in the region for the past 12 years, and the present study was performed to examine the effect of iodide supplementation on indicators of iodine deficiency (IDD) and thyroid antibodies.

DESIGN & METHODS: A total of 3164 people, 58% women and 42% men, were selected by random sampling from the Shahriar area. Goiter was staged according to World Health Organization guidelines. Urinary iodine was measured by a digestion method, and thyroid hormone measurements were done by radioimmunoassay. The results were compared with those of 1983.

RESULTS: Goiter prevalence before and after iodine supplementation was 50 and 40% in men, 70 and 51% in women, and 60 and 47% in the whole community, respectively (p < 0.001). A decrease in the prevalence of goiter was observed especially in younger individuals. The mean urinary iodine excretion was 7.6 and 18.5 micrograms/dL, before and after iodine supplementation. In 1983, the urinary iodine in 47.5% of the population studied was between 2 to 5 micrograms/dL, while in 1995, 65% of the population studied had urinary iodine between 10 to 25 micrograms/dL, 12 years after iodine supplementation. Mean serum T4, T3, and thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) were normal before and after intervention. There was no significant change in occurrence of positive antibodies, or of hypo- and hyperthyroidism, following iodine supplementation.

CONCLUSION: The result of this study shows that the use of iodized salt causes an increase in excreted urinary iodine and a decrease in the prevalence of thyroid goiter, especially in younger age groups. Consumption of iodized salt with 40 parts per million (ppm) iodine has not caused increased prevalence of thyroid dysfunction in this area.

OP
JCastro

JCastro

If it was "benign" enough to not make any clinical difference then it would be pointless to put it there in the first place. You're on a forum based on a guy who doesn't even use soap on his hands because of its endocrine disruption risks.

By the way, quote of Dr. Ray Peat: "I can send you quite a bit of information about the toxic effects of even a relatively small excess amount of iodine, even a milligram. Considering the huge amount of publicity, I would suppose that they are making a lot of money on it."

burtlancast

By the way, quote of Dr. Ray Peat: "I can send you quite a bit of information about the toxic effects of even a relatively small excess amount of iodine, even a milligram. Considering the huge amount of publicity, I would suppose that they are making a lot of money on it."

By all means, ask him to send it. I'll be more than interested to read it.

In the meantime, here's a German 1969 study of potassium iodide supplementation of grams /day for months/years in cases of refractory chronic obstructive disease for 2404 patients over a 10 year period.

Guess what: nobody died, and nobody had their thyroid destroyed.

(when facts get in the way)

Attachments

• Intermittent therapy with potassium iodide in chronic obstructive disease of the airways.pdf
    391.1 KB · Views: 36

burtlancast

The mean values of urinary iodine excretion of the 28 subjects were 12.8 micrograms/dl before use of iodized salt and 26.8, 35.5 and 63.2 micrograms/dl, respectively, after 7, 14 and 21 days from the introduction of iodized salt into their diet. After 21 days of the use of iodized salt, 84.6 per cent of the subjects had an iodine excess.

Japanese studies between 1994 and 1998 found average daily urinary excretions in the Japanese population at 81 to 330 micrograms/dl. (during all their normal life)

And guess what: they have a lower thyroid disease incidence that most of the industrial world.

Attachments

• zava2011.pdf
    217.7 KB · Views: 14
If it was "benign" enough to not make any clinical difference then it would be pointless to put it there in the first place. You're on a forum based on a guy who doesn't even use soap on his hands because of its endocrine disruption risks.

"the toxic effects of even a relatively small excess amount of iodine, even a milligram."

It gets dosed in this salt in the lower three-digit microgram (µg) Range,i.e.150 µg per day.
i advise to care ,not at all.

Ras

In the meantime, here's a German 1969 study of potassium iodide supplementation of grams /day for months/years in cases of refractory chronic obstructive disease for 2404 patients over a 10 year period.

Thank you for posting this.

"If ye don’t know where, what, and why, prescribe ye then K and I."

Hugh Johnson

I've been looking into the dangers of iodine on and off for two years. I found nothing and started using it. Seems to work just fine although I did have nasty bromide detox.

I would be very interested in the studies he references.

Amazoniac

burtlan, iodine is already fortified (they're not neglecting it), and if you imply that plenty is not harmful, they're missing an opportunity to improve the wealth of the population. How much would you propose instead?
Hallelujah, preach!
You know the what, it's killciol, not potassium iodide. Why force something that she's not asking for?

Last edited:

Amazoniac

Apologies, I'm unaccustomed to how a modified version of the Queen's English is communicated in Not Uganda.
Why give her potassium iodide if she wants the D? She probably has enough of the other anyway.

The health of publications available from regions with high intake is a concerning sign.

I guess that iodine helps to maintain the integrity of the typhoid prior to any significant harm, afterwards it increases the risk of stressing it further, more so when you consider the prevalence of Hashimoto's condition.

People that are exposed to it from food since birth are in a different position than a guru supplementing isolated in a susceptible state. The transition from milch to a diet that's rich in algen occurred at a moment where metabolism was still high and a proper adaptation was likely to be successful, allowing the typhoid to shrink and desensitize.

The problem in gradual increase is that the person who will react adversely is already stuck in such stressed state.

Iodine's fate once consumed will involve stress, whether it's through hormone synthesis, immunity, or iodinizationing of lipids. Someone can argue that ample nutrition should minimize risks (which is true), but we don't know if what's missing is being replenished and utilized properly. Above, there was never a condition to regard its supplementation as safe, it was suggested that extra can't be a problematic.

Please be patient, as we're still working on translating @Amazoniac into mankind.
Is there an option on Google Translate from PL to EN? If not, have you tried chronic masturbation? It should improve comprehension.
i understand him just fine.
I don't.

Last edited:
All true,but tissues other then Thyroid-Gland need Iodine also,and women need more it seems,
they retain it in their bosom were it is needed for maintenance.
They need instead of the 150mcg more like 220mcg,and have through lesser than male average body-size lower requirements of NaCl.

Which is diametrically opposed to secure such a steady-state endeavour,without being salted to their gills.

Also,each litre of sweat voids around 50mcg of iodine,which is a definite loss and isnt under further homeostatic
governance.
Also,all else equal,consideration of optimal kidney function mandatory.

Amazoniac

All true,but tissues other then Thyroid-Gland need Iodine also,and women need more it seems,
they retain it in their bosom were it is needed for maintenance.
They need instead of the 150mcg more like 220mcg,and have through lesser than male average body-size lower requirements of NaCl.

Which is diametrically opposed to secure such a steady-state endeavour,without being salted to their gills.

Also,each litre of sweat voids around 50mcg of iodine,which is a definite loss and isnt under further homeostatic
governance.
Also,all else equal,consideration of optimal kidney function mandatory.
People from the first post could be getting 600-1200 mcg/d.

Amazoniac

From burtlan's second link:

"Because approximately 97% of dietary iodine is excreted in the urine, urine iodine levels taken from individuals or populations can provide a secondary estimate of Japanese iodine intake from seaweed consumption, when paired with diet studies [37,38]."​