"Danger Will Robinson!"

5magicbeans

I have been taking Thiroyd for approx. 2 mths. I just received test results:

prolactin 10.7 Is this high?

This is the highest my cholesterol has ever been...aaaahhhhh! Should I be concerned??

Cholesterol, Total 245 HIGH 100-199 mg/dL HD
Triglycerides 155 HIGH 0-149 mg/dL HD
HDL Cholesterol 59 >39 mg/dL HD
According to ATP-III Guidelines, HDL-C >59 mg/dL is considered a
negative risk factor for CHD.
VLDL Cholesterol Cal 31 5-40 mg/dL

Thyroid Panel With TSH
TSH 0.740 0.450-4.500 uIU/mL HD
Thyroxine (T4) 7.4 4.5-12.0 ug/dL HD
T3 Uptake 31 24-39 % HD
Free Thyroxine Index 2.3 1.2-4.9

After reading countless posts I still feel pretty clueless as to how this all fits together...
I would greatly appreciate any insight.

Thanks so much!

OP

5magicbeans

I'm bumping this because I could really use some help with these test results.

Apparently the "libido" thread that popped up before mine was a little more interesting... ;)

Thank you!

4peatssake

I'm the same as Jenn with test numbers and can't offer any advice on them.
But you do have our support!!
And I agree with her comment about cholesterol.

OP

5magicbeans

Thanks for your replies Jenn and 4peatssake. I'm very glad to know I have your support! :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I was thinking, one of us, whomever agrees to it. Should write Ray Peat and ask him if he has some kind of reference chart or something we can go by so we can know what ranges we should be looking for. Anyone up to doing that? That way we can post the chart up and always have it for reference.

HDD

Here is a quote from another thread about prolactin from Mittir-

"RP thinks prolactin is a major indicator of good health and it should be 4-7 for male fertility and for female 2- 12. Normal lab range used to be 2-12 ."

OP

5magicbeans

If my prolactin is with in range why do I still feel so crappy??

Good Idea Charlie! Although I did email him my results and his response was :

"Have you experimented with a simplified elimination diet?"

This is a little too "Wizard of Oz" ish for me. I thought I was on a pretty simplified diet.
eggs, cheese, milk, shrimp, grass-fed beef, oj, coffee, gelatin, fruit, salt, chocolate, sugar, coca- cola. Occasional potatoes and masa harina.

I'm guessing maybe I need to tweak it more?

I am loathe to bother him again with another one of my ignorant emails ;)

Thank you!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
5magicbeans said:
If my prolactin is with in range why do I still feel so crappy??

Your metabolism could be so low you are just not making the energy you need to. You could be having an allergy to a food you are eating so that's why an elimination type diet would be a good suggestion. Egg whites could be causing you trouble, cheese, could be the milk and might need to find a different one, even could be the oj if it is not fresh. Occasional potato could even do it. This is something you are going to have to work through. I am over a year into this and still making adjustments, albeit much slower and more calculated adjustments now.

OP

5magicbeans

Thanks Charlie! This is good information. I think I will start with the eggs :(
Other than the " thiroyd" any ideas on what would help with increasing metabolism?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Salt, sugar, coconut oil, caffeine, aspirin, niacinamide, everything Peat.

This is not a sprint. It took a long time, generations, to destroy our metabolisms. It would be silly to think we can turn it around completely in a week, couple weeks, even months. We definitely can start getting relief. Especially once you find foods that are not causing your body problems. We have a tough battle ahead of us, to get our health back. Even with the knowledge of knowing what foods are less toxic and metabolically enhancing. We still have to wade through them to find what will work for us as an individual.

Listen to what Cliff said recently and I wholeheartedly agree with him:

Cliff said:
"It took me so long to dial in this diet and realize most cheese makes me super sick, milk with added vitamins makes me super sick, big corpo oj makes me sick, too much cocoa powder etc. it doesn't surprise me so many people have problems, the quality of the food we have access to is horrendous."

Bold is mine.

OP

5magicbeans

"This is not a sprint. It took a long time, generations, to destroy our metabolisms. It would be silly to think we can turn it around completely in a week, couple weeks, even months. We definitely can start getting relief. Especially once you find foods that are not causing your body problems. We have a tough battle ahead of us, to get our health back. Even with the knowledge of knowing what foods are less toxic and metabolically enhancing. We still have to wade through them to find what will work for us as an individual"

Great post Charlie! I nominate it for "quote of the week". :)

4peatssake

5magicbeans said:
Great post Charlie! I nominate it for "quote of the week". :)
Great idea 5magicbeans! Charlie's quote and cliff's too were both added to the list of future postings for forum member quote of the week.

Mittir

Low prolactin is an indicator of good health. Meaning a healthy person will have low prolactin.
But prolactin alone does not predict good health. There are 100 other factors. Your TSH is in nice range.
You missed the most important thyroid test, the T3 level. Are you on thyroid med?
RP recommends measurement of Total T3. Even free T3 with Reverse T3 is useful.
RP cited Framingham study that for older people higher cholesterol is protective against
dementia and mortality. He mentioned a value of 270.
If your thyroid is working properly your total cholesterol will come down on its own.
Also sugar increases cholesterol, if you think your cholesterol is too high. Check
if your are taking more sugar than you need.
RP probably mentioned food elimination diet to remove possible food
irritant, which causes lots of problem including increasing serotonin and estrogen.

Dan W

Charlie said:
I was thinking, one of us, whomever agrees to it. Should write Ray Peat and ask him if he has some kind of reference chart or something we can go by so we can know what ranges we should be looking for. Anyone up to doing that? That way we can post the chart up and always have it for reference.
Doesn't directly address your idea, but Danny Roddy created such a reference in The Peat Whisperer, including suggestions about what to do for levels that are too high/low. I don't know how much of it is "Peat-reviewed", but it's really useful.

jaguar43

5magicbeans said:
I have been taking Thiroyd for approx. 2 mths. I just received test results:

prolactin 10.7 Is this high?

This is the highest my cholesterol has ever been...aaaahhhhh! Should I be concerned??

Cholesterol, Total 245 HIGH 100-199 mg/dL HD
Triglycerides 155 HIGH 0-149 mg/dL HD
HDL Cholesterol 59 >39 mg/dL HD
According to ATP-III Guidelines, HDL-C >59 mg/dL is considered a
negative risk factor for CHD.
VLDL Cholesterol Cal 31 5-40 mg/dL

Thyroid Panel With TSH
TSH 0.740 0.450-4.500 uIU/mL HD
Thyroxine (T4) 7.4 4.5-12.0 ug/dL HD
T3 Uptake 31 24-39 % HD
Free Thyroxine Index 2.3 1.2-4.9

After reading countless posts I still feel pretty clueless as to how this all fits together...
I would greatly appreciate any insight.

Thanks so much!

HEy, I believe one must work in food before trying meds. I went about a year trying the diet before I tried thyroid, so one should take a few about two to six months on diet, unless your have cancer heart diease, mental problems, or the health problems.

Ray Peat does not recommend dessicated thyroid, a lot of people will disagree with me, but ray peat has said so himself that he doesn't promote dessicated. In a email i sent him he said this.

Q: Is there a particular brand of desiccated thyroid you recommend. Any comments would be great.

thank you

A:In the 1970s, there was a study of ten of the products sold in pharmacies as desiccated thyroid, USP, and two of them, Proloid and Armour, were what they claimed to be, the other eight contained no thyroid glandular material at all (analyzed immunologically, a very specific method). Proloid stopped making a glandular product after that, and became Proloid-S, a synthetic similar to Cynoplus. The Armour company sold the pharmaceutical division to Revlon, and over a period of years and changes of ownership the method of manufacture changed; a new owner began processing the glandular powder to extract thyrocalcitonin to sell as a separate product, and a pharmacist on the staff at Forest Pharmaceutical, the present owner, claimed to have no records of previous manufacturing methods, such as biological batch standardization.
The other products that are on the market now don't have the characteristic color, taste, and odor that I recognize as desiccated thyroid, so there's no glandular product that I feel safe using or recommending.

I also found this on another forum.

More than 30 years ago, someone demonstrated that only two out of ten "pharmaceutical" brands of thyroid USP contained any thyroid at all, so I sent some documentation to the FDA, and they said they didn't respond to "individual complaints," so I asked the USP what tests were used to define their standard, and they said only the percentage of iodine was considered. (In their written definition of the USP product, that test is to be applied only for defining the potency of a thyroid glandular material, but it takes a little work to determine that a material contains real thyroid substance.) Therefore, iodinated caseine, which is produced in large amounts for agricultural uses, passes their test----but iodinated cornstarch would also pass that test. In the 1990s, the Armour brand name had been sold and resold a few times, and the new owner decided to have the peptide hormone thyrocalcitonin removed from the defatted pig glands (when Armour owned the product, both beef and pork thyroid tablets were available), to sell as a separate extremely profitable drug to treat osteoporosis. That altered glandular material, no longer meeting the legal definition of USP thyroid, was sold for about ten years, with no objection from FDA or USP, and during that time several other changes in the composition of the tablets were made, without biological testing to determine that the product still worked. In the last several years, the FDA has ordered them to change the product, making it more water-dispersible, so they added a polymer, called Explo-tab," to make it swell when added to water. However, that material doesn't swell when the pH is as low as the stomach's. At one point, about ten years ago, people were reporting finding undamaged tablets passing through their intestine. During that time, I found that the very cheap Cynoplus had the same effects as the old glandular Armour tablets. In the 1980s, I think the Armour company was still standardizing their batches by testing on mice, but they were the last ones to claim to do any biological testing. Now, when they "test for strength," they apparently mean nothing more than the old irrelevant iodine test."

http://forums.realthyroidhelp.com/viewt ... =2&t=1879

I have tried some dessicated, but it never worked like cynomel and cynoplus. I know some people have success with dessicated, others do not with synthetic. But I really believe that dessicated is a no go unless you do it your self.

Cliff's post really gets to the heart of the matter. We've sacrificed everything for the sake of convenience.

The contraceptive mentality is being applied across the board.

OP

5magicbeans

Mittir said:
Low prolactin is an indicator of good health. Meaning a healthy person will have low prolactin.
But prolactin alone does not predict good health. There are 100 other factors. Your TSH is in nice range.
You missed the most important thyroid test, the T3 level. Are you on thyroid med?
RP recommends measurement of Total T3. Even free T3 with Reverse T3 is useful.
RP cited Framingham study that for older people higher cholesterol is protective against
dementia and mortality. He mentioned a value of 270.
If your thyroid is working properly your total cholesterol will come down on its own.
Also sugar increases cholesterol, if you think your cholesterol is too high. Check
if your are taking more sugar than you need.
RP probably mentioned food elimination diet to remove possible food
irritant, which causes lots of problem including increasing serotonin and estrogen.

Thanks for your response Mittir!

I switched to cynoplus from thiroyd this a week after these t3 and rt3 lab results:

Reverse T3, Serum 17.2 9.2-24.1 ng/dL BN

Triiodothyronine (T3) 115 71-180 ng/dL HD

Not really sure if these numbers indicate anything...?

Mittir

Both T3 and reverse T3 are within normal range. Things are looking good.
Wait 3-4 week before you do a full panel of thyroid again.
I think you can focus on diet now to figure out which foods are causing
irritation.

cfhunter

I have been paying RP to answer my questions. I want to make sure I don't lose his comunication and money seems to be helping. His answers are timely and helpful.