Dandruff- When Vitamin A Doesnt Take Care Of It

answersfound

What are some other things to consider when vitamjn a does not fix dandruff?

ravster02

I've seen a few members talk about how liver (vitamin a) + oysters (zinc) took care of their acne so you may want to try that combo for dandruff.

Dean

In my own experience in trying to manage dandruff with Vitamin A, I think the ratio of A to Vitamin D is also part of the equation.

jyb

What you do to wash your hair might be a factor. My hair looks nicer and is less oily since I ditched shampoo and replaced it with a weekly vinegar 30 seconds application, so I imagine the shampoo was disrupting the skin moisture. And it's not crazy to hypothesise it's related to dandruff since that's dead skin.

Dean

I ditched shampoo too a couple years ago. Other than my occasional bouts with dandruff (especially in the winter--without sun, I can eventually look like a character in one of those snow globes), my hair looks better than it ever has. More body, especially. I usually just use water and massage my scalp with my fingers. About once a month or so, I use some apple cider vinegar when my scalp starts to itch.

haidut

Forum Supporter
If you are getting to the point of PUFA deficiency, it could be caused by vitamin B6 deficiency, not vitamin A.

Sea

In my case dandruff was caused by bad digestion/too much bacteria. Antibiotics eradicated the dandruff quite rapidly.

Aspekt

B6 makes a tremendous difference in my experience, a single dose is noticeable the next day.

Aspekt

Cool. How much is in a single dose? What kind of B6 do you use?
Pure Bulk's p5p powder is what I use, I don't need to take it much now but I usually take a dose of 50mg. Haven't been taking it steadily but I haven't had dandruff in more than a year now. Never had good experiences using multi-B capsules.

redsun

I get plenty of vitamin B6 from food.

Yeh and? Active B6 works 100% for dandruff. Also, I would not count any B6 you get from plants as part of your B6 intake. There are some difficulties and multiple steps with getting B6 from plants and some people do not get any. And even when we consider animal foods from what I recall, 40% of B6 can be lost by cooking and what not. Not too mention the only actual animal foods high in b6 is meats like chicken, beef, fish, organs. Eggs and dairy are poor sources even when we don't consider the significant loss from cooking.

I don't really get dandruff but I have gotten it a few times and I would imagine it was because my meat intake was lower during the time. P5P gets rid of it. I also take it for dry lips that I get sometimes, fixes it completely. I am just telling you what will work, you don't have to try it. By all means waste your time trying to fix it another way instead of just trying P5P yourself.

L

Lord Cola

Yeh and? Active B6 works 100% for dandruff. Also, I would not count any B6 you get from plants as part of your B6 intake. There are some difficulties and multiple steps with getting B6 from plants and some people do not get any. And even when we consider animal foods from what I recall, 40% of B6 can be lost by cooking and what not. Not too mention the only actual animal foods high in b6 is meats like chicken, beef, fish, organs. Eggs and dairy are poor sources even when we don't consider the significant loss from cooking.

I don't really get dandruff but I have gotten it a few times and I would imagine it was because my meat intake was lower during the time. P5P gets rid of it. I also take it for dry lips that I get sometimes, fixes it completely. I am just telling you what will work, you don't have to try it. By all means waste your time trying to fix it another way instead of just trying P5P yourself.
I was talking about beef. Why that specific substance? Can't it be absorbed from a food source? In my experience supplementing always leads to other problems.

redsun

I was talking about beef. Why that specific substance? Can't it be absorbed from a food source? In my experience supplementing always leads to other problems.

You supplement with anything long enough it will cause problems. But short term supplementation with active B6 isnt more problematic than other vitamins despite claims. Yes it can be absorbed from a food source. Meat as I said would be the best source and organs are even higher in b6 if you really wanted the most b6 possible. Salmon and liver are the best sources I believe.

But because B6 can be lost by cooking and is synergistic with many other nutrients it can be used up easily among other reasons. The higher protein in the diet the higher the B6 requirement. And stress also depletes B6 as it does most other things. I would not worry about P5P causing other problems just dont go crazy with it if you do plan on taking it.

L

Lord Cola

You supplement with anything long enough it will cause problems. But short term supplementation with active B6 isnt more problematic than other vitamins despite claims. Yes it can be absorbed from a food source. Meat as I said would be the best source and organs are even higher in b6 if you really wanted the most b6 possible. Salmon and liver are the best sources I believe.

But because B6 can be lost by cooking and is synergistic with many other nutrients it can be used up easily among other reasons. The higher protein in the diet the higher the B6 requirement. And stress also depletes B6 as it does most other things. I would not worry about P5P causing other problems just dont go crazy with it if you do plan on taking it.
I'll look into it. Thanks. Are there specific products you recommend?

redsun

I'll look into it. Thanks. Are there specific products you recommend?

No specific products really to recommend. I just got the vitamin shoppe P5P brand since I am near a store. No complaints and works well.