Dandruff Overload

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
I'm a 28 year old woman and have recently gotten much more careful to eat more strictly "Peatarian" but even before that it seemed like my dandruff was getting much worse. I started taking Estroban to cure my acne about a year ago, but the dandruff of this severity is fairly recent. I have switched to using dr bronners (as shampoo) and vinegar rinses to help, but it seems to only get worse!

I don't eat liver but I eat plenty of organic eggs and dairy.

I take:
B-100 supplements 2x a day
I use the estroban (A 5,000/D3 1,000/E 65mg/K 2 mg) 1x a day
1250 Magnesium 2x a day
A once daily vitamin (without iron)
A D3 500 iud in addition
Progest-E

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Get aloe Vera gel. Slather on your scalp for a day. Rinse off. Gets rid of dandruff for a long time in my experience.

T

tca300

Eating calcium is what causes mine. Using vinegar on my scalp before I shower keeps it at bay unless I hit 5000 or more mg of calcium per day, then even the vinegar cant stop it. Maybe the calcium retards zinc absorption, maybe it's fungus, maybe vitamin A deficiency, I don't know. I'm also very interested in finding the true underlying cause.

OP
PeatInspired

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
I thought the same thing. RP said light can dramatically increase the need for vitamin A. Vitamin A can also help the gut, which is probably involved at some level.
That's interesting, I actually moved to a less sunny climate 4 months ago!

bobbybobbob

I don't eat liver

Eat liver. You need to eat liver. Don't **** around with pills and topicals. Score or make some good pate or liverwurst and eat some on toast every third day.

Super simple and tasty pate recipe: Soak liver over night in plenty of water. Microwave the liver to cooked. Pat it dry. Microwave to cooked some onions and garlic; cook off most of the water. Throw a lot of buter, the onions and garlic, and the liver in a blender with other tasty stuff of your choosing. Salt, port wine, and hot mustard makes for good "other tasty stuff" in my book, but anything goes.

Spread that stuff on toast a few times a week.

Last edited:

rooz7939

@Hollybea, just wondering if you were able to resolve your issues with dandruff. I'm experiencing some dandruff too, like tca300 said I feel like mine is also related to calcium (I take eggshell calcium to balance the phosphorus). Interestingly it seems to progress during the day, it's at its worst at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
PeatInspired

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
@Hollybea, just wondering if you were able to resolve your issues with dandruff. I'm experiencing some dandruff too, like tca300 said I feel like mine is also related to calcium (I take eggshell calcium to balance the phosphorus). Interestingly it seems to progress during the day, it's at its worst at night.

Nooooooo, I'm still searching! Update me if you make progress!

rooz7939

Nooooooo, I'm still searching! Update me if you make progress!
I'm going to try upping my Vitamin A intake and see how that works.
Out of curiosity have you noticed any changes to your dandruff with changing calcium and sodium intake?

OP
PeatInspired

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
Not really! Stress does seem to make it worse though. Ray Peat told me to drink way more milk in response to my plea for help, haha. But I always forget to up it.

I have also taken estro-ban (A D E K mixture) and it fixes any acne, but the dandruff stays.

rooz7939

Unfortunately I can't drink a lot of milk, I'm trying to work my way up. I do eat ~30g of liver every other day and that seems to take care of acne but doesn't do anything for the dandruff. I also take vitamin D & K separately. Vitamin E seems to make matters worse for me though I've never really tried it for more than a week.
Interestingly enough it seems to get worse when my thyroid function improves (from temp and pulse).
If increasing vitamin A doesn't work I'm going to try red light (on scalp).

EIRE24

Not really! Stress does seem to make it worse though. Ray Peat told me to drink way more milk in response to my plea for help, haha. But I always forget to up it.

I have also taken estro-ban (A D E K mixture) and it fixes any acne, but the dandruff stays.

Estro ban or liver never did anything for my dandruff or acne. My acne is persistent no matter what I do. I think from a low fat diet my face is too dry hence the vitamin A making it even drier. I need to figure out how to create a moisture barrier again for my skin.

EIRE24

Because I have acid reflux and high b12 in blood work Ray Peat said I probably have bacterial overgrowth in my gut. I believe this is probably related to my dandruff too. Sooo, I ordered an antibiotic online (tetracycline) and I'm going to give it a try! Hopefully it fixes ALL my issues!

I'll keep you posted.
Can't wait to see how this works for you. I've been wanting to do this too so if it is successful for you I will be doing the same. Where did you purchase it?

goodandevil

Urea and topical vitamin a work very well for me. the urea is extremely soluble so dont use too much. i have gut issues as well.

Kyle M

You could try the scalp massage they are talking about in this thread about hair ideas similar to Danny Roddy's. It's called detumescence, I've been doing it to see if it can regrow some hair I lost at my temples, but one effect it's already had is to prevent the build up of dry skin at that same temple area. I don't get a lot of dandruff flakes, but I would get these big pads of dead skin on my temples, and after a week or so of the scalp massage it hasn't been developing.

I found that taking aloe vera gel, working it into my hair and letting it sit overnight, then washing out, kills dandruff for many weeks or months.