Dairy Severely Constipates Me

crusader

so through trial and error I have found out the source of my digestive woes that caused severe constipation/severe incomplete bowel movements, is DAIRY. milk, butter, cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, ice cream, etc..

Doesn't matter if the dairy is raw and grass-fed or organic or grain fed, etc.. even a tablespoon of butter will turn off my bowels for couple days, why the hell is this happening? I know ray peat has said something along the lines of "changing a brand of dairy has resolved their issues" but I have tried that numerous times to no avail..

perhaps eating wheat and gluten my entire life has really damaged my small intestine and prevents me from releasing the lactase to breakdown the lactose? but cheese and butter don't have large amounts of lactose? so why would those constipate me? or maybe i have SIBO? the article below is from paul jaminet of the perfect health diet which shows wheat causes destruction of the small intestine (which breaks down lactose)

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/07/la ... l-disease/

I remember danny roddy stated in one of his articles how "dairy isnt the problem, your the problem" and how simply increasing his vitamin A intake resolved his "chapped lips and dandruff" hell, if those were my only symptoms from dairy, I would still be drinking milk and eating butter, etc.. but the digestive impact is just too great for me, really impedes the quality of my life. want to figure this out!!

edit: in the past I have tried slowly incorporating milk/dairy into my diet by having a small amount of dairy daily and slowly increasing over the course of 2 weeks, that didnt work and left me even more constipated.

Ben

Do you have gas or just constipation?

Btw, I have had acne, chapped lips, and dandruff for a long time, which are all said to be related to vitamin A deficiency, so i'll keep taking my dose (50,000 IU/day) and see if it effects my chapped lips.

dukez07

I am in the same boat. I have recently thrown the towell in with dairy, too. I truly don't believe that it is the super food that it is touted to be in this community. I guess it it probably is, in comparison to muscle meats (It's not cooked at extremely high temperatures - so, not full of toxic by-product compounds like cooked meat is, it has better calcium-phosphate ratio than meat, just as nutrionally dense - if not more, etc).

However, it definitely has negative effects on my digestive tract. I still go everyday, but what comes out is extremely hard in texture. Some of these balls are really large and must be doing all kinds of damage to my bowell as I push and strain to get it out (sorry to go into this too much, lol).

I also get a thumping heartbeat from all brands of milk that I have tried, bar one (only raw milk is plain sailing and stress free). But even raw milk still gives me digestive troubles.

The best solution I could come up with, with regards to the constipation, was to add coconut oil to each glass of milk. I figured the fat content might help it move along better. Of course, I only did this to skimmed milk varieties that I tried. I suppose it did help with the urge to go, but, unfortunately, what was coming out was still rock solid. Not good.

I feel so much better after giving up dairy completely. Everything has normalized. I don't eat meat, either, so my main protein source at the moment is gelatin.

natedawggh

You're right on about the intestinal damage. Have you added gelatin to your diet? Gelatin greatly helps heal intestinal damage. Have you used coconut oil? Eliminated starches?

Also, you haven't specifically said but I hope you've cut out all gluten...

Add a carrot daily, and this veggie called bitter melon is a miracle stomach healer. You don't need to cook it or fuss with it, just eating a small 1-inch piece is enough to fix a lot of stomach ailments. Regularly it can actually increase thyroid hormones. You could be low on magnesium too... Eat some liver and or shellfish, coffee?

Ben

natedawggh said:
You're right on about the intestinal damage. Have you added gelatin to your diet? Gelatin greatly helps heal intestinal damage. Have you used coconut oil? Eliminated starches?

Also, you haven't specifically said but I hope you've cut out all gluten...

Add a carrot daily, and this veggie called bitter melon is a miracle stomach healer. You don't need to cook it or fuss with it, just eating a small 1-inch piece is enough to fix a lot of stomach ailments. Regularly it can actually increase thyroid hormones. You could be low on magnesium too... Eat some liver and or shellfish, coffee?
I never heard of "bitter melon". Is this something RP recommends?

iLoveSugar

I'm right there with ya bud. Extremely sluggish and hard bowels, along with 1765 other issues. It's super hard getting sufficient calories in without milk also. Sucks.

Ben

dukez07 said:
I am in the same boat. I have recently thrown the towell in with dairy, too. I truly don't believe that it is the super food that it is touted to be in this community. I guess it it probably is, in comparison to muscle meats (It's not cooked at extremely high temperatures - so, not full of toxic by-product compounds like cooked meat is, it has better calcium-phosphate ratio than meat, just as nutrionally dense - if not more, etc).

However, it definitely has negative effects on my digestive tract. I still go everyday, but what comes out is extremely hard in texture. Some of these balls are really large and must be doing all kinds of damage to my bowell as I push and strain to get it out (sorry to go into this too much, lol).

I also get a thumping heartbeat from all brands of milk that I have tried, bar one (only raw milk is plain sailing and stress free). But even raw milk still gives me digestive troubles.

The best solution I could come up with, with regards to the constipation, was to add coconut oil to each glass of milk. I figured the fat content might help it move along better. Of course, I only did this to skimmed milk varieties that I tried. I suppose it did help with the urge to go, but, unfortunately, what was coming out was still rock solid. Not good.

I feel so much better after giving up dairy completely. Everything has normalized. I don't eat meat, either, so my main protein source at the moment is gelatin.
If only I had hard balls instead of diarrhea from milk. lol You should try mixing gelatin into milk. Add cold powder to a mug of milk, mix it so it becomes a "mush", then put it in the microwave and heat it so that a thick syrup is produced. Then you will have a combination of milk and gelatin, and maybe your bowels will be softer.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I do realize I have the "milk" issue as well. It seems like a lot of people have it and no one really has an answer for it. My observations are in line with Ray from his article on milk, whereas when you have proper progesterone production, milk can digest. Not necessarily progesterone, but I think the anti stress hormones in general, like all of them, will do it, I don't necesarily react well to progesterone, but pregnenlone I do react well to, but still its not enough.

Has anyone introduce milk "slowly" into the diet and it worked for making the body being able to handle it again? Does this actually work? Like take a shot of it everyday until it starts working? An until then just use gelatin, beef, fish as a protein source in the meantime?

encerent

Unless they make A2, organic, grassfed, fatfree, lactose-free milk, I'll stay away from milk from now. I've tried and it's never worked.

Tenacity

I too have found dairy constipating.

A solution is to eat a lot of whole fruit. I can eat up to 120g of protein from dairy without it being constipating if the bulk of the diet is whole fruit.

Luann

Lol, was just thinking today, "too much milk really has an, er , unfruitful side effect."

milk_lover

A solution is to eat a lot of whole fruit. I can eat up to 120g of protein from dairy without it being constipating if the bulk of the diet is whole fruit.
Maybe fruits with their magnesium are balancing the calcium?

Unless they make A2, organic, grassfed, fatfree, lactose-free milk, I'll stay away from milk from now. I've tried and it's never worked.

i get that milk. there is one at whole foods called traders point or something simliar. every milk does it. i can tell right when i drink it, i will feel my insides just stop moving. it got so bad for me, i had to stop drinking it. i was getting so constipated, it made me look like i had a giant beer gut.

there absolutely has to be a solution to it.

i know for an absolute fact, that taking pregnenlone will remove the dairy intolerance. my thought is to fix the problem without dairy with proper laxatives, get your hormones where they should be, then reintroduce.

i mean, that is just eating fiber to do it. how i think of it is, fiber is basically how the average hypothyroid person manages to not be constipated. it's like cheating basically. you are still maybe contributing to the problem because the fiber is going to feed the bacteria, then maybe keep the circle of life going?

what type of fruit are you eating?

milk_lover

i get that milk. there is one at whole foods called traders point or something simliar. every milk does it. i can tell right when i drink it, i will feel my insides just stop moving. it got so bad for me, i had to stop drinking it. i was getting so constipated, it made me look like i had a giant beer gut.

i know for an absolute fact, that taking pregnenlone will remove the dairy intolerance. my thought is to fix the problem without dairy with proper laxatives, get your hormones where they should be, then reintroduce.

i mean, that is just eating fiber to do it. how i think of it is, fiber is basically how the average hypothyroid person manages to not be constipated. it's like cheating basically. you are still maybe contributing to the problem because the fiber is going to feed the bacteria, then maybe keep the circle of life going?

Does thyroid help you digest the milk as well? What about magnesium supplement or taurine?

Tenacity

Maybe fruits with their magnesium are balancing the calcium?
I think that's exactly the mechanism.

The fiber in fruit is the good kind that Peat advocates - it doesn't/shouldn't feed harmful bacteria.

Right now I'm eating dried dates, tinned peaches, melon and seedless grapes.

chrismeyers

Try Organic Valley Lactose Free 0% (Skim). I find it is the easiest milk to absorb I have ever drank in my life. Close to $10 a gallon but well worth it. I go through more than a gallon a day

Maljam

Same here

Have you tried different dairy, such as goats milk? Check out the user "Travis" on this forum, he has some incredible posts about the opioid effects of A1 milk, cows milk, which could result in constipation to someone that is susceptible.

GreekDemiGod

@Maljam It's mostly hard cheese that constipates me. It was my main protein source. With milk, I don't have this issue, but I do have others issues.
I've come to realize that all this talk such as dairy = good, X = bad, is reductionist.
Eat to optimize digestion, energy levels, temperatures, pulse, mood. The challenge is to find the combinations of foods that will do that, given your current state of metabolic & digestive health.