Dairy is Scary! The industry explained in 5 minutes

yerrag

Industry term for the only place an industrial milk cow sees besides the narrow stall-- to get impregnated in perpetuity
I wonder if the torturers in places like Guantanamo Bay honed their craft at dairy farms.

akgrrrl

I wonder if the torturers in places like Guantanamo Bay honed their craft at dairy farms.
Thankfully there are many loving farms that treat their livestock with humane practices, but they are small. The big corporate namebrand mass production milk products that are not in the organic section of our superstores....well, we have all seen the films since the 1980's.

yerrag

Thankfully there are many loving farms that treat their livestock with humane practices, but they are small. The big corporate namebrand mass production milk products that are not in the organic section of our superstores....well, we have all seen the films since the 1980's.
Yes, but I just prefer to forget them. I don't know if there's a way to stop factory farms, but then that will be called clamping down on liberty. And that would be called unnecessary regulation. After all, the cows don't speak. It's one thing raising farm animals and giving them a nice life before they're slaughtered humanely, and it's another where the entire life of the cow she is made to suffer horribly. They don't serve to be treated that way.

But that is how being competitive means. And that is how those who want to practice good animal husbandry have to get out of the business and leave it to professional animal torturers to do the inhuman acts day in and day out. But that is not how nature works. The lion can catch its prey and the suffering is momentary, not a lifetime. And the prey would have fulfilled its purpose in being a mother or a father, or in providing for their children. The cow would have enjoyed taking care of her young and not be separated from it the moment he was born. That wouldn't be how a shepherd would treat any of the flock under it.

But this has become a normal way of life for us. It's sickening, and again we are helpless against it.

sjatte

Would be nice if we were back to the days where the milkman delivers milks in bottles, and those bottles came from nearby farms, and we could go to visit the farms on weekends and really see the cows grazing and their tails swishing happily. Or was that just a whitewashed movie?
well where I live there's nothing stopping you from doing just that but most people still buy their milk pasteurised in the store

Also are people really shocked about artificial insemination? Natural insemination just isn't cost effective and dairy farming doesn't exactly give a huge profit margin

yerrag

well where I live there's nothing stopping you from doing just that but most people still buy their milk pasteurised in the store

Also are people really shocked about artificial insemination? Natural insemination just isn't cost effective and dairy farming doesn't exactly give a huge profit margin
Of course. When one costs more and not everyone is filthy rich. Who is the one shocked about it?

I'd like you to experience daily having something shoved up your **** and how old are you? and then tell me that is the most cost effective way that cows are being used to make milk. Oh, too graphic? Or how about you doing the daily chore of raping the cows? It's not you doing it and it's okay.

I won't be surprised if you also tell me that importing everything from China and forcing everyone to accept the US dollar with a gun pointed at them is the most cost-effective way to make America great again, right?

And that despite the penchant for finding the most cost-effective way to do things, the US population has the most expensive healthcare and education systems in the world, yet produces very poor outcomes in both areas.

Somehow, the idea of being cost-effective doesn't make so much sense anymore, doesn't it?

Last edited:

sjatte

Of course. When one costs more and not everyone is filthy rich. Who is the one shocked about it?

I'd like you to experience daily having something shoved up your **** and how old are you? and then tell me that is the most cost effective way that cows are being used to make milk. Oh, too graphic? Or how about you doing the daily chore of raping the cows? It's not you doing it and it's okay.

I won't be surprised if you also tell me that importing everything from China and forcing everyone to accept the US dollar with a gun pointed at them is the most cost-effective way to make America great again, right?
What the hell are you raving about?

Buying milk directly from the farmer is cheaper, at least in my experience. So at least it is for people here where I am which is what I was talking about.
And I'd rather not be a farmer at all since it's a stressful life but I've grown up with animals and I don't have anything against working with them and insemination is just a part of that. Honestly, you seem sheltered?

Perry Staltic

lol raping cows. Folks that think this way need to spend some time on a farm. Artificial insemination is gentle in comparison to what they normally have to endure. I suspect one of my roosters killed one of my hens while mating with her. They don't play around and they don't take no for an answer. I call my hens shameless hussies when they try to sneak into the house; now I can call my roos rapist roosters.

yerrag

What the hell are you raving about?

Buying milk directly from the farmer is cheaper, at least in my experience. So at least it is for people here where I am which is what I was talking about.
And I'd rather not be a farmer at all since it's a stressful life but I've grown up with animals and I don't have anything against working with them and insemination is just a part of that. Honestly, you seem sheltered?
For your enlightened mind that isn't so so sheltered:

You seem ok with a system that isn't very cost-effective, taking away so much of your hard-earned dollars to pay for excessive costs in healthcare and in education, which leaves you with much less to buy items for your daily needs. And out of the little you have that's left, you choose to buy inferior quality products that cost less. And then you buy milk that is the cheapest. And the cheapest is the milk done "the most cost-effective" way in your parlance. Everyone else does the same, and soon enough there is no market for the more expensive milk made in "the old-fashioned" way that is actually more healthful and does not require cows to be treated so inhumanely.

Am I talking sense to you now, Mr. Cost-effective?

yerrag

Ben.

I dont understand how you would react like this towards sjatte, he just said the farmers methods are idealized and there are certain practises that are "normal". He also said where he lives he buys it locally or its perhaps even cheaper.

Where i live we can buy milk locally from the farmer usually in vendinge machines/dispensers raw (with a disclaimer that it has to be cooked before consumtion) infront of the farm. commercialized pasteurised milk in store is actually not to bad either here as (tho it is still subject to standardization, microfiltrated etc. so one realy has to find a brand in store that is "only" pasteurized and a label "saying" grass fed.

I wish there was some "milk in glass" delivery. Would love to have that, and milk in glass is eye candy for me too.

Idealy one checks the farm out him/herself to avoid purchasing milk produced in awful conditions. But i have to admit, what has been shown in the video by the op is insane, not every farm is held like that thank god.

akgrrrl

Have you ever raised farm animals? That's their whole mission in life.

Nope. And you seem to assume a lot of things
We had 14,000 chickens in a quarter mile barn and 20 head. Clearly youve not seen a commercial operation. When you experience artificial insemination, seen a wobbley newborn calf get dragged 3 feet from the cow, his throat slit, tossed into the back of a truck with the cow bellowing as she watches and smells the blood, get wrangled and reattached to the milking contraption and locked back into 3x8 stall facing the trough...

sjatte

We had 14,000 chickens in a quarter mile barn and 20 head. Clearly youve not seen a commercial operation. When you experience artificial insemination, seen a wobbley newborn calf get dragged 3 feet from the cow, his throat slit, tossed into the back of a truck with the cow bellowing as she watches and smells the blood, get wrangled and reattached to the milking contraption and locked back into 3x8 stall facing the trough...
You're american? We don't have those individual stalls and milking contraptions, nothing I've ever heard of

Perry Staltic

That's just brutality, but artificial insemination is not (nor is it rape).

michael94

Which farms does this happen at? The calf slitting part ?

akgrrrl

Ah. So because you, an American, have not seen it, it does not exist. Enough said, then. Carry on.