Dairy Fat Successfully Replaced My Thyroid Medication

natedawggh

After more than two years of being on thyroid medication (cytomel), I have finally gotten off of it. Gotten off that is without experiencing negative symptoms. I haven't gotten a blood test to confirm any levels of anything, but as far as symptoms go, when I stopped taking thyroid my insomnia would return within 24 hours, as well the severe all-over body ache, cold temperatures, pale extremities, fatigue, etc.

I had gained back ten pounds after trying some other things, and I was feeling fairly let down and really shitty. I wasn't really taking my thyroid. I was starting to run out of my latest refill and was making it stretch. I realized I hadn't been as keen on dairy as I had been before, when I had lost weight and felt good. I was feeling fed up and decided to **** it all and just load up on dairy fat.

Since whole milk has had the cream removed, I added cream to my milk (1 pint for a whole gallon), in addition have been consuming 1 stick (1/4 lb) of butter a day (1/2 in the am 1/2 before bed), and have been consuming a quart of half-and-half at lunch time along with other high-dairy foods while avoiding sources of PUFA like chicken.

It had the immediate effect of making me feel satiated like I haven't been for a while. I gained more weight for the first two days but then that stopped. It also raised my body temperature, but only for brief periods during the day. After about five days I stopped aching, and I started to notice a more consistent body temperature. I was still a little cold in the mornings but I wasn't aching, and instead of taking 2 or 3 hours to warm up I warmed up immediately. I've now been off thyroid for two whole weeks and I feel amazing. I've lost 5 lbs. I've continued taking my aspirin and supplements, but the large amount of dairy fat seems like it has finally freed me from my medication. I haven't felt uncomfortably cold for the last two whole days! My pulse is consistently strong and on the fast side. I've never been able to go more than four days without it, without feeling like I was going to die. Not only do I not feel that way, I feel pretty good.

It's a lot of fat, but Dairy is the closest physiological food to something perfect for humans. I think a lot of milk troubles come from the reduced fat. Even whole cow milk has less fat content than human breast milk, so whole milk might not actually be as physiologically correct as it should be, and I find myself enjoying milk more when I add cream to it anyway.

I could easily see alcohol users gaining weight from adding this much fat to their diet, since the body under the stress of alcohol is stimulated to store fat. Rather than not increasing dairy I'd suggest going sober for a while.

Failure to reduce PUFA sources if doing high-dairy fat might not have the beneficial effects I've experienced. I think the benefit comes from the very high ratio of good fats to bad fats, and having sources of PUFA in the diet while doing this would reduce that high ratio.

I'm not calorie counting or measuring. Just literally consuming large amounts of dairy fat along with my regular meals, but incidentally am not as hungry as usual so they've been less often or smaller than usual (though because of the fat calories are still up around 3.5k-4k a day). Fruit, potato chips made in coconut oil, potatoes, vegetables, and my casein protein shake with cane sugar feature prominently.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

Ray Peat said:
“The proportion of proteins, carbohydrates, and fat--it probably should be something like a third of each, but I’m not sure what the ideal is. It depends so much on the quality of each of them. Avoid starch, and avoiding eating polyunsaturated fats, and avoiding the very high tryptophan-content proteins... then you could go very high on any one of the major nutrients without problem.
PRT: 4 cal/g
CHO: 4 cal/g
FAT: 9 cal/g

By calories:

PRT: 4/(4+4+9) = 23.5%
CHO:
4/(4+4+9) = 23.5 %
FAT:
9/(4+4+9) = 53.0%

Macronutrient Ratios Per Capita

• World: 2780 kcal/person/day (Carbohydrates: 63%, Proteins: 11%, Fats: 26%)
    • Developed countries: 3420 kcal/person/day Carbohydrates: 53%, Proteins: 12%, Fats: 34%
    • Developing World: 2630 kcal/person/day Carbohydrates: 67%, Proteins: 11%, Fats: 23%
    • Sub-Saharan Africa: 2240 kcal/person/day Carbohydrates: 72%, Proteins: 10%, Fats: 19%
    • Central Africa: 1820 kcal/person/day Carbohydrates: 75%, Proteins: 11%, Fats: 26%
The more industrialized the nation, the greater proportion of calories from fat.

Last edited:

Nighteyes

Even whole cow milk has less fat content than human breast milk, so whole milk might not actually be as physiologically correct as it should be, and I find myself enjoying milk more when I add cream to it anyway.

Just thought I would chime in and say that I never did 100 percent well on any type of cow milk. I substituted with goat whey powder for a few weeks until I was recently able to source local whole, pastured sheeps milk and it absolutely rocks! it digests perfectly. Incidentally the label lists:

Carbohydrates (of which sugars): 4.5 % - Fat: 5 % - Protein: 5 %

Pretty much spot on 1/3 of each.

Am drinking 1.5 L of this each day and gaining muscle (yay!) I was always skinny. If only it didn't cost $10 / L

EIRE24

Just thought I would chime in and say that I never did 100 percent well on any type of cow milk. I substituted with goat whey powder for a few weeks until I was recently able to source local whole, pastured sheeps milk and it absolutely rocks! it digests perfectly. Incidentally the label lists:

Am drinking 1.5 L of this each day and gaining muscle (yay!) I was always skinny. If only it didn't cost $10 / L
Wow, $10 a litre? I can buy whole raw cows or goats milk from a farmer that I know rears all his animals to feed on grass for 1 euro a litre, 50 cents of that cost is for the glass bottle it comes in and on returning the glass bottle he refills the litre for 50 cent again. Also get lambs liver for next to nothing. I'm very fortunate

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Yeah that's expensive, but adding the cream back into cow's milk costs a little bit too. Did you ever get truly whole cow's milk or was it all store bought? I really am suspicious of the fat reduction of store-bought whole milk, as I've never had such success from milk as I have since adding cream back into it.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Where you reading some Edward J edmunds recently?

That's a ton of fat, are you eating a lot of sugar aswell?

Yes it really is a huge amount of fat, and I've had excessive fat in my diet before but never restricted to all dairy fat (well, and some coconut and olive here and there), and I think that's where the benefit is coming in, not from calories but because of the composition of dairy fat.

Yes, still eating as much sugar as I ever have, about 3-4 lbs of cane sugar a week in my protein shakes, plus tons of fruit, some OJ, veggies etc. Only reduced sources of PUFA like chicken etc.

DaveFoster

Yes it really is a huge amount of fat, and I've had excessive fat in my diet before but never restricted to all dairy fat (well, and some coconut and olive here and there), and I think that's where the benefit is coming in, not from calories but because of the composition of dairy fat.

Yes, still eating as much sugar as I ever have, about 3-4 lbs of cane sugar a week in my protein shakes, plus tons of fruit, some OJ, veggies etc. Only reduced sources of PUFA like chicken etc.
natedawggh, have you looked into Aajonus Vonderplanitz? Before falling off of a balcony, he'd drink 1 - 2 quarts heavy cream per day, and drink milk throughout the day, fermented (high) meat, and finish the day with 1-2 pieces of fruit. I'm not recommending this, but it reminded me of what you're doing.

Nighteyes

Yeah that's expensive, but adding the cream back into cow's milk costs a little bit too. Did you ever get truly whole cow's milk or was it all store bought? I really am suspicious of the fat reduction of store-bought whole milk, as I've never had such success from milk as I have since adding cream back into it.

I only ever tried store bought cow's milk, but I am almost certain it was the type of protein in the milk causing trouble. I have tried a few different protein powders, including pure casein and they also caused problems. Only the sheep's milk seems to work for me regarding dairy. I'll be the poorest student ever :sorry: guess that's just the price for quality in nothern europe. Would probably be cheaper to just get my own sheep :thoughtballoon:

Wow, $10 a litre? I can buy whole raw cows or goats milk from a farmer that I know rears all his animals to feed on grass for 1 euro a litre, 50 cents of that cost is for the glass bottle it comes in and on returning the glass bottle he refills the litre for 50 cent again. Also get lambs liver for next to nothing. I'm very fortunate

Damn, that is very fortunate indeed. Liver is also practically thrown at you here :couchpotato:

natedawggh, have you looked into Aajonus Vonderplanitz? Before falling off of a balcony, he'd drink 1 - 2 quarts heavy cream per day, and drink milk throughout the day, fermented (high) meat, and finish the day with 1-2 pieces of fruit. I'm not recommending this, but it reminded me of what you're doing.

I used to eat exclusively raw meat and organs for over half a year. That stint ****88 me up real good. What stopped the lunacy was actually reading about aajonus' take. I had insane panic attacks when I started drinking milk and honey. Probably due to my blood sugar being way out of whack. I've seen some pretty amazing recoveries from some of his followers. They believe it's from the raw nature of the food, I think it's mainly good ol milk and honey that does the job. I never tried high meat.

milk_lover

I once tried a milk brand skimmed for 3 days and the same brand full-fat for another 3 days. Both types contain 40 IU of D3 per 100 ml. Since they're the same brand, I am assuming they both come from the same cows and they both have the same D3 powder added into. With the skimmed milk, I get joint pain, arthritis like symptoms, and back pain accompanied with digestion and allergy (stuffed nose) issues. With the whole milk, all those problems are much more lessened. I am guessing fat dairy plays a huge role against allergens (D3 powder has additives like silicon dioxide). This is now why when I am forced to buy commercial milk with added vitamins, I get the whole milk variety.

DaveFoster

I used to eat exclusively raw meat and organs for over half a year. That stint ****88 me up real good. What stopped the lunacy was actually reading about aajonus' take. I had insane panic attacks when I started drinking milk and honey. Probably due to my blood sugar being way out of whack. I've seen some pretty amazing recoveries from some of his followers. They believe it's from the raw nature of the food, I think it's mainly good ol milk and honey that does the job. I never tried high meat.
I did the same for a few months. I had a similar experience; it was weird. I had high meat as well (fermented meat). What an abnormal and horrible time.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

I once tried a milk brand skimmed for 3 days and the same brand full-fat for another 3 days. Both types contain 40 IU of D3 per 100 ml. Since they're the same brand, I am assuming they both come from the same cows and they both have the same D3 powder added into. With the skimmed milk, I get joint pain, arthritis like symptoms, and back pain accompanied with digestion and allergy (stuffed nose) issues. With the whole milk, all those problems are much more lessened. I am guessing fat dairy plays a huge role against allergens (D3 powder has additives like silicon dioxide). This is now why when I am forced to buy commercial milk with added vitamins, I get the whole milk variety.

Cool. I suspect it has more to do with the saturated fat's stabilizing effect on cells when exposed to high calcium, which causes cell excitation. Without saturated fat, calcium excitation causes mitochondrial damage and inflammation. With saturated fat calcium performs it's normal, healthy functions.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Most people are afraid of gaining weight on it, or that the estrogen and other hormones are concentrated in the fat part of the milk.
I have lost a little over 5 lbs since doing this, when consuming about 2.5-3k calories a day just from high fat dairy products, and totaling about 3.5-4K calories in all each day.

milk_lover

Cool. I suspect it has more to do with the saturated fat's stabilizing effect on cells when exposed to high calcium, which causes cell excitation. Without saturated fat, calcium excitation causes mitochondrial damage and inflammation. With saturated fat calcium performs it's normal, healthy functions.
Wow I didn't know about saturated fat's stabilizing effect from high calcium. I am very much interested in knowing more about this because most of my daily calories come from milk. Do you have an article or studies or any interesting reads about that?

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Wow I didn't know about saturated fat's stabilizing effect from high calcium. I am very much interested in knowing more about this because most of my daily calories come from milk. Do you have an article or studies or any interesting reads about that?

There's an article on fats in Ray's archive in which he talks about saturated fats stopping the stress response and unstaturated fats compounding the stress response, and part of the stress response is the increase of intracellular calcium, and that's generally the part which is disruptive to cell function. Since sat. Fat interrupts the stress response it helps keep calcium outside of cells where it belongs.

dand

Excellent! Thank you for sharing :). Going to pass this along to my mom who had thyroid cancer.