Dad Just Took A Tablet Of Ciprofloxacin, What To Do?

Astolfo

I said him it's very dangerous to take fluoroquinolone type of antibiotics. He didn't believed. I don't know what to do now.

Jessie

They have the potential to be very dangerous, but people use them on a daily basis. You can't control other people's choices, only educate them on the possible consequences. I mean, it's not like he just swallowed pure cyanide, lol. He'll pull through.

From what I've read, most people report yeast infections from frequent usage of ciprofloxacin. Maybe get the carrot salads and charcoal on hand in case this happens.

OP
A

Astolfo

They have the potential to be very dangerous, but people use them on a daily basis. You can't control other people's choices, only educate them on the possible consequences. I mean, it's not like he just swallowed pure cyanide, lol. He'll pull through.

From what I've read, most people report yeast infections from frequent usage of ciprofloxacin. Maybe get the carrot salads and charcoal on hand in case this happens.
I hope you're right though, but from what i observed through the time(reading posts on several forums); it's very toxic. I mean, very. Severe neurological symptoms, tendinites, etc. Your post seems too optimistic but again, i hope you're right.

5a-DHP

I hope you're right though, but from what i observed through the time(reading posts on several forums); it's very toxic. I mean, very. Severe neurological symptoms, tendinites, etc. Your post seems too optimistic but again, i hope you're right.

Many people take it with no problems whatsoever.

Think finasteride. Yes, some people get full blown pfs, but there's still millions of people taking it who have no (perceived) side effects. Does that mean it's safe? No, but likewise, it doesn't mean everyone get's ****88 up by it either.

He shouldn't have taken the risk but, statistically speaking, he'll likely be fine.

jyb

I said him it's very dangerous to take fluoroquinolone type of antibiotics. He didn't believed. I don't know what to do now.

I think you are right to be worried. You can show him the recent report by the European Medicines Agency. When I read reports about quinolone antibiotics, it's not uncommon to see people who got serious side effects after just 1 or 2 doses - it is crazy and I've never seen something like it. You may be able to have him realise it is very risky and therefore should seek a different opinion - see a different doctor who may if suitable use a different antibiotic. However it would take time to see a different doctor and during that time he consuming the quinolones and is therefore increasing the risk. In the meantime warn him he must stop as soon as any of those symptoms appear - they are very bad sign, and too late once they happen.

Quinolones are still frequently prescribed even when not necessary because these issues have only surfaced in the last few years, not all doctors are following the recommendation that they should only be considered as a last resort considering the risks.

Last edited:

Jessie

Sure, more severe side effect are always possible. Personally I would not touch the stuff.

tara

I presume there is a risk/benefit related to an infection that is causing trouble, and that is why this has been prescribed. I wouldn't rely on any health advice based on just one part of the story without considering context.

yerrag

They have the potential to be very dangerous, but people use them on a daily basis.
Are you referring to the general class called antibiotics, or are you referring to Ciprofloxacin? People don't take Ciprofloxacin on a daily basis.

@Astolfo, just observe. Doctors, as a matter of practice, don't read to their patients side-effects of the drugs they prescribe. Never. Ever. It's up to the patient to read the very small leaflet with very small type to know the side-effects. Or he can read the larger type on screen using the web.

But I know a friend who took and a few days later she had very rapid heart rate or tachycardia and she had to be confined to the hospital. Blood test showeded high potassium, and the doctor blamed high potassium, not the Cipro (also called covering their ****). But it was Cipro that called potassium from the cell to spill out into the blood, to cause tachycardia. And the doctor left the impression on my friend that any food high on potassium is bad for her. This is why I loathe the system under which doctors operate. I can't say I hate doctors because they're people haha.

On a worse case, my mom was given Cipro by a stupid doctor, who could have chosen a safer form of antibiotics. This was when my mom was confined to a hospital for constipation. She was fed with IV food (parenteral) loaded with purified soya oil. She developed low blood sugar, which caused her to have chills. To add insult to injury, the doctor gave her Cipro. Then she couldn't sleep for 3 days because the Cipro got her nerves excited. And when her nerves were exhausted, she went on a deep sleep for 3 days. Then the neurologist came and told us my mom is old and it's time to prepare her for goodbye at the hospice. And I told her to **** off in a nicer way. I made her food with plenty sugar and magnesium, and we fed her with it for a week, and she recovered. The neurologist never came back.

By the way, it was from reading about Ray's ideas on magnesium and sugar, and how nerves can get very excited and can consume a lot of sugar when excited by drugs such as Cipro. When the supply of sugar runs out, the nerves would be exhausted and left that way, the nerves would die. But what I recounted is a case where a healthy patient can be led to his death just by the combination of wrong actions by doctors that would create a perfect storm leading to the patient's death.

Yeah, this is a typical Catholic hospital in our country with nuns plying the rooms and offering prayers while the system set up victimize and kill patients.

Sorry, it isn't about Cipro anymore. But still is.

You're right to be worried Astolfo.

OP
A

Astolfo

@yerrag yeah it's 500 mg ciprofloxacin. I can understand the situation around the health system. I have some Mag Oxide powder at home. Diarrhea is a problem but i guess i can give in small doses without inducing diarrhea. I can convince him to eat more carbs throughout the day. And I will frequently ask him if he has any pain/tingling etc.

It seems it won't be possible to convince him to see another doctor. The one who prescribed ciprofloxacin is the one who operated his ear surgery, also has professor degree.

Thanks people :praying:

yerrag

Hope he does okay on it. Likely he still would. But try to avoiding regular usage. Cipro often given to people with UTI, and often it's because less harmful antibiotics can't be used anymore due to bacterial resistance.

Using it often will also lead to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and when a person loses the ability to swallow, a PEG has to be inserted into the person so he can still eat.

Not something anyone looks forward to in his old age.

Jessie

Are you referring to the general class called antibiotics, or are you referring to Ciprofloxacin? People don't take Ciprofloxacin on a daily basis.

I was referring to fluoroquinolones in general, and they are prescribe to people on a daily basis. If you want to make sure you never get prescribe these drugs, just tell your doc you're allergic to them.

yerrag

I was referring to fluoroquinolones in general, and they are prescribe to people on a daily basis. If you want to make sure you never get prescribe these drugs, just tell your doc you're allergic to them.
Oh, if that's what you meant. There was some ambiguity to it, as my first impression was that you meant people take them on a daily basis.

Edit: You meant they're prescribed to be taken on a daily basis. I have to add that it's for a limited duration. It's not taken like it's a maintenance drug, on a daily basis, with no time limit.

Last edited:

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Using it often will also lead to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and when a person loses the ability to swallow, a PEG has to be inserted into the person so he can still eat.
WOW - this is what happened to my sister. She had quite a few UTIs in her last few years and was given levaquin/cipro mulitple times. A while later she started choking on all types of food and beverages, and was given a swallowing test that showed she basically could not swallow. She was then limited to a diet of pureed food and thickened liquids (in a care facility). At which point she realized she would never be able to eat food or drink again. She passed away a few months later. Doctors blamed it all on her psych meds, but now I'm not so sure.

yerrag

WOW - this is what happened to my sister. She had quite a few UTIs in her last few years and was given levaquin/cipro mulitple times. A while later she started choking on all types of food and beverages, and was given a swallowing test that showed she basically could not swallow. She was then limited to a diet of pureed food and thickened liquids (in a care facility). At which point she realized she would never be able to eat food or drink again. She passed away a few months later. Doctors blamed it all on her psych meds, but now I'm not so sure.
Sorry to hear that about your sister Judy. But it's all too common to see otherwise healthy people by virture of old age experience UTI. The loss of control of the bladder sphincter comes with loss of the automatic neuromuscular control due to degeneration. The degeneration could be a function of age, but usually it is accelerated by deficiencies that leads to the loss of homeostatic balance that does the fine-tuning in our bodies. I think that not having deficiencies and having good metabolism would delay it, and once it happens, using adaptogens would be helpful (though I don't know of any herb that could help in this manner, in an AFAIK way). Using antibiotics is the usual recourse, but if there are better methods that don't involve inducing bacterial resistance would be better. Just recently learned from a thread here that methylene blue does can be used in that capacity. Putting mb drops in a capsule and taking it would be a practical way to do it without getting blue tongue.

Yeah, Cipro is terrible. It's a silent killer if its effects aren't noticeable. It destroys that homeostatic balance which is especially needed in old age.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals