D3 causing extreme shedding

iso1

I am vitamin D deficient and I wonder why i have such paradoxical response with vitamin D3. Normally my hair is very strong and i have close to zero shedding ( although i am quite thinned out) . And every time I am trying to fix my vitamin D deficiency I get really severe shedding a week after I start supplementing 1000 iu per day which is low dose.. Any ideas why this happens ? I supplement D3 with K2

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
What brand are you using?

OP
I

iso1

What brand are you using?
Sorry, mine was 2000 iu, not 1000 as I posted before. but its still low, to cause such reaction.

1618772800689.png

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Sorry, mine was 2000 iu, not 1000 as I posted before. but its still low, to cause such reaction.

View attachment 22810
It has Titanium Dioxide, Silicon Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate which can cause issues.

Ingredients
Maltodextrin, Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol), Bulking Agent: Microcrystalline Cellulose, Tablet Coating (Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose, Glycerin, Natural Source Colour: Titanium Dioxide), Anti-Caking Agents: Silicon Dioxide, Stearic Acid & Magnesium Stearate.

Dr. B

I am vitamin D deficient and I wonder why i have such paradoxical response with vitamin D3. Normally my hair is very strong and i have close to zero shedding ( although i am quite thinned out) . And every time I am trying to fix my vitamin D deficiency I get really severe shedding a week after I start supplementing 1000 iu per day which is low dose.. Any ideas why this happens ? I supplement D3 with K2
D3 should help/improve hair. some people on reddit claim it actually thickened their hair and made hairline return. which could be true since d3 increases calcium so it should indirectly lower prolactin.
ive seen lots of cases where, A, K2 or vitamin E caused hair loss... never heard of it with D3 before

OP
I

iso1

It has Titanium Dioxide, Silicon Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate which can cause issues.

Ingredients
Maltodextrin, Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol), Bulking Agent: Microcrystalline Cellulose, Tablet Coating (Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose, Glycerin, Natural Source Colour: Titanium Dioxide), Anti-Caking Agents: Silicon Dioxide, Stearic Acid & Magnesium Stearate.
Alright , I will try another brand without any of these additives, it will be vitamin D from fish liver oil and cholecalciferol. The most concerning ingredient you mentioned is titanium dioxide i think. Found a study where titanium nanoparticles were detected in the hair shafts of a patient with frontal fibrosing alopecia. They suggesting that skin care products and sunscreen, which all contain titanium, might be a cause for such hair loss. Although i have no clue if its possible for titanium to reach hair shaft from oral consumption.

Last edited:
OP
I

iso1

ive seen lots of cases where, A, K2 or vitamin E caused hair loss... never heard of it with D3 before
yes i know... which is weird. because i dont shed generally. Maybe some autoimmune reaction. i dont know. or it's those additives. I forgot to mention, it also makes me pretty tired

Karamela

1000 IU is nothing for someone who is vit. D deficient; if you want to address the deficiency you need to take 10 000 IU until you reach the satisfactory level and then 5000 IU for maintenance. K2 and magnesium are needed as necessary cofactors. Zinc supplementation can be the missing element to ensure that hair shedding stops and that hair grows back.

Ben.

Vitamin D orally just doesn't work for some people ...

OP
I

iso1

1000 IU is nothing for someone who is vit. D deficient; if you want to address the deficiency you need to take 10 000 IU until you reach the satisfactory level and then 5000 IU for maintenance. K2 and magnesium are needed as necessary cofactors. Zinc supplementation can be the missing element to ensure that hair shedding stops and that hair grows back.
i am not deficient in any other mineral i made blood tests, zinc is on higher end

OP
I

iso1

maybe i should do the test of biologically active vitamin D (1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol) which might be in excess ? Should it be more accurate indicator than 25-OH ?

pauljacob

We on this forum are so focused on supplements we ignore the role of stress ( emotional stress ) on health and hair loss. Since my brother had dementia, I lost much hair, and I knew it was caused by stress and there's nothing I can do about it.

Ben.

We on this forum are so focused on supplements we ignore the role of stress ( emotional stress ) on health and hair loss. Since my brother had dementia, I lost much hair, and I knew it was caused by stress and there's nothing I can do about it.

I agree on the supplement craze.
But if it is realy solely due to stress there is alot one could do about it.

Dr. B

but how can mental stress cause physical symptoms? i thought this is an indirect function. like ive known some people who even though depressed, still followed a good diet and were in great shape. whereas some people start starving themselves or eating a lot of food in response to depression. i thought mental stresses are only relevant if/when they lead to or result in physical changes in diet and lifestyle. ive never had hair loss or physical symptoms develop unless there were changes in diet, supplements, etc

Ben.

If you have ideas beyond Yoga, breathing, etc., please share. Thank you.

Other than bodywork, yoga, breathing, listening to music, taking hot/warm baths, walking in nature, meditating, eating/consuming specific stuff, having a good time with people you like, sex?

The only other thing that comes to mind atm on the top of my head that is realy powerful imo and i would recommend everyone regardless of their health issue to try, is mentaly working out so that your body/subconcious is not overresponding to stressors. Building new habits with thoughts and our subconcious,

In terms of hair loss, seeing the hair falling out, in the sink, on the pillow on the hands etc. is an stressor in and of itself. Get rid of responding like that. First thing i did to deal with it was shaving down so that when hair fell out, i couldn't see it because the hair was to short to be seen (due to lockdown this was easy to do). That already reduced the stressload i had during that time.

This is kinda long so i put it in quotes:

It is one of the reason why i think wim hof for example is succesful in the first place with many health issues in his followers. Not the cold or breath itself but actually teaching the people to mentally shut off the overblown stress response to the cold. Teaching people to controll their stress response. Think of a person having a panick attack towards a trigger that he/she cant control(many people in a small room for example can trigger that), learning and teaching the body to not respond like that anymore basicly.

This can be applied to anything but to get an idea on how this works, a cold shower practicing can be helpful (works with heat or noice or smell too). Go under the cold shower, most people immeaditly react like "oh my god this is so cold, oh my god oh my god, holy ***t is that cold" while breathing as if they are hyperventilating. Once you notice/realize that you do react like that, you go out of the water stream, tell yourself in your head "it is ok, this will be cold, we can handle it" while simultaneously trying to keep the breath as calm as possible and get back under the water stream and you will immeaditly notice it is not as cold as you thought/experienced it was.

One can apply this to anything, for instance food which may be problematic or not (think like blessing the food or having thoughts of gratidude or have your inner voice tell urself this is safe and nutritios to consume).

Another example at work for this would be consciously (takes practice/effort) the inner voice to say "we will do one thing at a time, we managed worse" instead of thinking "oh my god this is to much to do, i can't do this, my boss is going to fire me". Doing stuff like this over and over whenever it is possible will overtime create a habit of thinking and responding with more resilence. Basicly one will have a better baseline towards this stuff.

One of the issues is, we didn't have these issues and overblown stress reactions before. It is happening/caused by to much stress, infection, to much emotional/traumatic events or w/e and suddenly one finds him/herself having panick attacks in buses, reacting with intense stomache pain towards food that havent been problematic for the past 40 years and now one is trowhing tons of meds/supplements down the throat in hope of healing, meanwhile all the people around you think you are a hypochonder or its genetics or it is "all in your head". It actually is a biological/biochemical/physiologial reaction from a stimulus picked up by one of the many sense we have.

but how can mental stress cause physical symptoms? i thought this is an indirect function. like ive known some people who even though depressed, still followed a good diet and were in great shape. whereas some people start starving themselves or eating a lot of food in response to depression. i thought mental stresses are only relevant if/when they lead to or result in physical changes in diet and lifestyle. ive never had hair loss or physical symptoms develop unless there were changes in diet, supplements, etc

It is not easy. These things are deeply intertwined. Which one came first or which one is the causation and which one is the symptom is hard to figure out. Think of a person who has been raped while smelling .. idk ... hotdogs nearby -> subconcious traumatic response whenever the person smells or hears or sees something accociated with the traumatic event. These things exist on a smaller, less intense scale that they are not aware of.

Getting rid of this and relearning/teaching someone with such an issue is insanely difficult. I got some great books here with interesting approaches.

This is probably from all the stuff i try the hardest to learn and be consistent with. For this to work or before someone does work on this i would still think that taking care of any underlying physiological issue should be done first and foremost. Microbiome Gut dysbiosis, diet, parasites, Reducing daily stressload, hormonal issues, postural damage (fascia/muscle tension or impingement can be a chronic stressor), environmental stuff both chemicaly and socialy (work or family stressing someone out) etc.

Had immense success with this in terms of tolerating foods again, lowering the intensity of my tinnitus to a bearable volume. I personaly found some stuff that i feel are causing issues beyond psychological/mental issues but i think working on both is the best bet one can do.

Last edited:

pauljacob

Other than bodywork, yoga, breathing, listening to music, taking hot/warm baths, walking in nature, meditating, eating/consuming specific stuff, having a good time with people you like, sex?

The only other thing that comes to mind atm on the top of my head that is realy powerful imo and i would recommend everyone regardless of their health issue to try, is mentaly working out so that your body/subconcious is not overresponding to stressors. Building new habits with thoughts and our subconcious,

In terms of hair loss, seeing the hair falling out, in the sink, on the pillow on the hands etc. is an stressor in and of itself. Get rid of responding like that. First thing i did to deal with it was shaving down so that when hair fell out, i couldn't see it because the hair was to short to be seen (due to lockdown this was easy to do). That already reduced the stressload i had during that time.

This is kinda long so i put it in quotes:

It is not easy. These things are deeply intertwined. Which one came first or which one is the causation and which one is the symptom is hard to figure out. Think of a person who has been raped while smelling .. idk ... hotdogs nearby -> subconcious traumatic response whenever the person smells or hears or sees something accociated with the traumatic event. These things exist on a smaller, less intense scale that they are not aware of.

Getting rid of this and relearning/teaching someone with such an issue is insanely difficult. I got some great books here with interesting approaches.

This is probably from all the stuff i try the hardest to learn and be consistent with. For this to work or before someone does work on this i would still think that taking care of any underlying physiological issue should be done first and foremost. Microbiome Gut dysbiosis, diet, parasites, Reducing daily stressload, hormonal issues, postural damage (fascia/muscle tension or impingement can be a chronic stressor), environmental stuff both chemicaly and socialy (work or family stressing someone out) etc.

Had immense success with this in terms of tolerating foods again, lowering the intensity of my tinnitus to a bearable volume. I personaly found some stuff that i feel are causing issues beyond psychological/mental issues but i think working on both is the best bet one can do.
Thank you Ben for your response. I liked especially mentally working out and building new habits with thoughts and the subconscious. During the summer months I usually cut my hair very short, less than a quarter inch, so I'm due for a haircut. I'm also going to try to mentally shut off the overblown stress response according to Hof's methods you quoted. Again thank you for your suggestions. You da Man. :thumbsup:

Ben.

Thank you Ben for your response. I liked especially mentally working out and building new habits with thoughts and the subconscious. During the summer months I usually cut my hair very short, less than a quarter inch, so I'm due for a haircut. I'm also going to try to mentally shut off the overblown stress response according to Hof's methods you quoted. Again thank you for your suggestions. You da Man. :thumbsup:

Uhm, if it is helpful im glad. Take what is helpful and discard the rest.

I hope i explained it correctly. It feels like a switch one is mentaly switchin on/off. Like contracting a muscle in your head/brain if that makes any sense. This seems to work for premature ejaculation, cold/heat exposure and alot of other stuff. Feels a little like numbing onceself against a stimulus. It makes me think of the saying "pull yourself together!" and then you just ... do that mentally.

I am not saying you should do alot of cold showers, it is just a example to illustrate what i ment. I actually think cold showers/cold exposure to often to much is insanely stressfull and might be counterproductive.

Shaving the head was just a emergency call i did because at that time i was stressed out by to many things at once and it simply helped me during that time to reduce the stressload from the visual stimulus of my hair falling out and focus one by one in dealing with my issues. It ofc is not a solution to hairloss.

I am by no means an expert in this, it is a daily effort/struggle. if my explanation doesn't make to much sense i guess one could read him/herself more into stress/trauma release work/therapie concepts and stuff like that.

Wish you the best in your endevours.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals