D-Limonene Experiences

Inaut

I figured it out guys. The hives were due to the photosensitizing action of limonene.... I was getting a ton of sun (as was my mom) at the same time we were taking and increasing dosage of limonene...

I eased up for a few days but started taking again( just avoiding afternoon tans) and it’s all good now. Food for thoughts..:

SQu

Thanks for the feedback. Follow up is so helpful. Yes, I've read that in skin care one should take care with orange oil and the sun. Great that you found the explanation!

managing

I figured it out guys. The hives were due to the photosensitizing action of limonene.... I was getting a ton of sun (as was my mom) at the same time we were taking and increasing dosage of limonene...

I eased up for a few days but started taking again( just avoiding afternoon tans) and it’s all good now. Food for thoughts..:
Just to be clear, you were taking it internally (swallowing it) and getting photosensitizing?

Inaut

Just to be clear, you were taking it internally (swallowing it) and getting photosensitizing?

Correct. If it accumulates in the fat, it only makes sense that it would be susceptible to UV radiation when exposed for long periods of time.

managing

Correct. If it accumulates in the fat, it only makes sense that it would be susceptible to UV radiation when exposed for long periods of time.
How much/often do you take? I just ordered Jarrow 500mg gelcaps.

Inaut

I was taking 2gs a day. One in the morning and one midday

Fexxx

I have a sensitive stomach and after 3 days I developed crazy pains with 500mg after dinner... too bad

@Fexxx I take it (500mg) about 15-20 minutes before dinner otherwise I get orange burps!

Inaut

Protective Role of Perillic Acid Against Radiation−Induced Oxidative Stress, Cytokine Profile, DNA Damage, and Intestinal Toxicity in Mice
Article (PDF Available) · January 2010 with 710 Reads 
DOI: 10.1615/JEnvironPatholToxicolOncol.v29.i3.40 · Source: PubMed
Cite this publication
Abstract
The radioprotective effect of perillic acid was studied using an in vivo mouse model. Whole-body exposure of Swiss albino mice to γ-rays (6 Gy) reduced the total white blood cell count to 1035 ± 378 cells/mm3 on the 9th day, which was significantly elevated to 2196 ± 382 cells/mm3 by the administration of perillic acid (50 μmoles/kg body weight, intraperitoneally) on the same day. The number of bone marrow cells and α-esterase positive cells in control animals after 11 days of irradiation was reduced to 12.5 ± 0.8 × 106 cells/femur and 674 ± 45.2/4000 cells, respectively. In perillic acid treated animals, bone marrow cellularity was increased to 14.8 ± 1.8 × 106 cells/femur and α-esterase positive cells were 941 ± 56.5 /4000 cells, similar to normal level (935 ± 51.4/4000 cells). Administration of perillic acid could reduce the radiation-induced elevated levels of alkaline phosphatase (ALP), glutathione-pyruvate transferase (GPT) and lipid peroxidation (LPO) in both serum and liver of irradiated animals. Perillic acid could significantly enhance the glutathione (GSH) content in liver and intestinal mucosa of irradiated animals. Histopathological analysis of small intestine also suggests that perillic acid could reduce the radiation-induced intestinal damage. The level of proinflammatory cytokines such as IL-1β, TNF-α and CRP, which were elevated during irradiation, was significantly reduced by the Perillic acid administration. Perillic acid treatment could also stimulate the production of other cytokines such as GM-CSF and IFN-γ in animals exposed to whole-body gamma irradiation. Agarose gel electrophoresis of DNA isolated from bone marrow of mice exposed to gamma radiation showed heavy damage that was reduced by treatment with perillic acid.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...le_DNA_Damage_and_Intestinal_Toxicity_in_Mice

managing

I've had a very good reaction to limonene with one exception. I have experienced low blood sugar about 3 hours after meals. It is known that limonene reorders the bowel microflora in favor of lactobacillus. So some of this might be temporary?

Inaut

I found i would get somewhat tired after taking it (much like what you describe -low blood sugar) for the first few weeks. Now I take it twice a day and don’t feel the same.

managing

I found i would get somewhat tired after taking it (much like what you describe -low blood sugar) for the first few weeks. Now I take it twice a day and don’t feel the same.
Thanks! Kind of what I was thinking. Appreciate the feedback. I often react poorly to things that affect microflora (headaches and body aches) but limonene has been much gentler. Just the low blood sugar which is easy to combat if expected.

I have only had benefit from it. When I get heartburn I take maybe 1g or so in water and it goes away completely without side effects. I'm not sure why I sometimes get heartburn, seems to be loosely linked to aspirin consumption. But d-limonene is the best thing ever.

Inaut

FYI for those of you that use castor oil... Add some orange oil to it. It really increases absorption. I used to do castor oil packs but found them rather messy and lengthy. Since I’ve started adding D-limonene or orange oil to the oil I apply to my belly, I’ve noticed substantial absorption in a fraction of the time. Really worth it plus you get added benefits of the orange oil when it is absorbed into the lymph

:)

FYI for those of you that use castor oil... Add some orange oil to it. It really increases absorption. I used to do castor oil packs but found them rather messy and lengthy. Since I’ve started adding D-limonene or orange oil to the oil I apply to my belly, I’ve noticed substantial absorption in a fraction of the time. Really worth it plus you get added benefits of the orange oil when it is absorbed into the lymph

:)
@Inaut Nice, I will give that a try, what's with the new Avatar?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals