Cystic Fibrosis = EFAs Deficiency ?

PaRa

What are your thoughts on this ? I may not have understood all but isn’t it saying that CF people have more mead acid etc ? (I personally have CF).

Increased elongase 6 and Δ9-desaturase activity are associated with n-7 and n-9 fatty acid changes in cystic fibrosis

Increased elongase 6 and Δ9-desaturase activity are associated with n-7 and n-9 fatty acid changes in cystic fibrosis - PubMed

DHA and EPA reverse cystic fibrosis-related FA abnormalities by suppressing FA desaturase expression and activity
DHA and EPA reverse cystic fibrosis-related FA abnormalities by suppressing FA desaturase expression and activity

thanks for taking the time to read/ answer ! :)

fr@

I'm also interested on knowing more about this stuff, but aren't EFA's demonized in this community?

Maybe @haidut could clear things out.

Hugh Johnson

What are your thoughts on this ? I may not have understood all but isn’t it saying that CF people have more mead acid etc ? (I personally have CF).

Increased elongase 6 and Δ9-desaturase activity are associated with n-7 and n-9 fatty acid changes in cystic fibrosis

Increased elongase 6 and Δ9-desaturase activity are associated with n-7 and n-9 fatty acid changes in cystic fibrosis - PubMed

thanks for taking the time to read/ answer ! :)
Does not establish causality, nor does the second study seem to indicate any improvement in CF, only changes in the desaturaze expression.

OP
PaRa

PaRa

Does not establish causality, nor does the second study seem to indicate any improvement in CF, only changes in the desaturaze expression.
an idea of the consequences for these changes of desaturases ? seems that omega 3 supplemention helps to maintain lung function in CF people

fr@

Immune suppression.
Yeah, that's what I could only think of EFA's.

And speaking for EFA's, this statement still bogs my mind (from Wikipedia):

"Essential fatty acids, or EFAs, are fatty acids that humans and other animals must ingest because the body requires them for good health but cannot synthesize them"

...the part where it says 'the body requires them for good health but cannot synthesize them'.

So are they saying 'cannot be produced' or is it blatantly saying 'cannot be used'?

Hugh Johnson

Yeah, that's what I could only think of EFA's.

And speaking for EFA's, this statement still bogs my mind (from Wikipedia):

"Essential fatty acids, or EFAs, are fatty acids that humans and other animals must ingest because the body requires them for good health but cannot synthesize them"

...the part where it says 'the body requires them for good health but cannot synthesize them'.

So are they saying 'cannot be produced' or is it blatantly saying 'cannot be used'?
The mainstream dogma is that they are necessary. There is no evidence of that, cells do just fine in fat free culture. The only evidence is human capacity to manufacture arachdonic acid, but then we are at milligram levels per day.