Cyproheptadine's Effect On Dopamine

answersfound

I find that Cyproheptadine is a good med, but it seems to suck the life out of me. Dopergin on the other hand is truly a wonder drug for mood. Is there anything that can be done to replete dopamine levels after taking cypro?

haidut

Forum Supporter
answersfound said:
I find that Cyproheptadine is a good med, but it seems to suck the life out of me. Dopergin on the other hand is truly a wonder drug for mood. Is there anything that can be done to replete dopamine levels after taking cypro?

You can take cypro together with lisuride. They really complement each other. Ask your doctor first of course.
Cypro has some dopamine antagonist properties on the D3 "receptor" and at really low concentrations too. So, taking even 1mg - 2mg would probably have some antagonistic effect on D3. This is where drugs like bromocriptine or lisuride can really help. The combination of 4mg cypro and 0.1mg lisuride can do wonder for mood, libido, energy, etc.
For more info look at the section Pharmacology on this page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyproheptadine

OP
A

answersfound

haidut said:
answersfound said:

You can take cypro together with lisuride. They really complement each other. Ask your doctor first of course.
Cypro has some dopamine antagonist properties on the D3 "receptor" and at really low concentrations too. So, taking even 1mg - 2mg would probably have some antagonistic effect on D3. This is where drugs like bromocriptine or lisuride can really help. The combination of 4mg cypro and 0.1mg lisuride can do wonder for mood, libido, energy, etc.

Interesting. So what if, theoretically, one does not have lisuride?

haidut

Forum Supporter
answersfound said:
haidut said:
answersfound said:

Interesting. So what if, theoretically, one does not have lisuride?

Then you can try another anti-serotonin drug like mianserin / mirtazapine, ketanserin, ritanserin, etc. These do not have antagonism to dopamine receptors AFAIK.

goodandevil

Then you can try another anti-serotonin drug like mianserin / mirtazapine, ketanserin, ritanserin, etc. These do not have antagonism to dopamine receptors AFAIK.
Does dopamine antagonism diminish or return to normal with continued intake of cypro? Thx

haidut

Forum Supporter
Does dopamine antagonism diminish or return to normal with continued intake of cypro? Thx

No, I don't see why it would diminish as long as you are taking the drug. What does happen is the dopamine "receptor" density increases and the cell becomes more sensitive to dopamine. Not sure if discontinuing gives a big dopamine rush though since it would have manifested by now in studies and people would be doing it just for fun.

tomisonbottom

Cyproheptadine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@haidut I thought you said somewhere on the forum that cypro and bromocriptine can be taken together and would be good for weight loss as well, but couldn't find it for some reason. I have gained some weight and it might be the cypro so thinking of adding bromociptine. Is that correct? If so, what dose is normally taken? Thanks!

David Chung

IMHO, since a human brain is plastic, I say let time and a healthy-lifestyle take care of issues as much as possible, without resorting to neuro-transmitter related drugs. Any up-regulation of dopamine receptors as a result of cypro use should re-normalize in time.

To me, using neurotransmitter affecting drugs to treat a particular condition seems risky. Most likely, a problematic condition relates to a particular circuitry in one's brain. However, these drugs affect the basic modes of communication between neurons over the whole brain. Hence, using these drugs are like using a bazooka to kill a mouse. For example, using dopamine agonist to treat sexual dysfunction will affect physical sub-systems that are related to food energy partitioning over your immune system, muscle, fat, organs, etc.).

In summary, if one messes up one's condition using a neurotransmitter affecting drug, I think you'd want to avoid using another neurotransmitter affecting drug to fix the problem.

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut I thought you said somewhere on the forum that cypro and bromocriptine can be taken together and would be good for weight loss as well, but couldn't find it for some reason. I have gained some weight and it might be the cypro so thinking of adding bromociptine. Is that correct? If so, what dose is normally taken? Thanks!

It was cabergoline that was found to cause fat-loss. Bromocriptine is pretty similar and with less side effects. In the USA it is approved for type II diabetes in doses of 2.5mg daily, and at least some of the benefit for type II diabetes is through weight loss. So, I'd try 0.8mg - 2.5mg daily.

Drareg

IMHO, since a human brain is plastic, I say let time and a healthy-lifestyle take care of issues as much as possible, without resorting to neuro-transmitter related drugs. Any up-regulation of dopamine receptors as a result of cypro use should re-normalize in time.

To me, using neurotransmitter affecting drugs to treat a particular condition seems risky. Most likely, a problematic condition relates to a particular circuitry in one's brain. However, these drugs affect the basic modes of communication between neurons over the whole brain. Hence, using these drugs are like using a bazooka to kill a mouse. For example, using dopamine agonist to treat sexual dysfunction will affect physical sub-systems that are related to food energy partitioning over your immune system, muscle, fat, organs, etc.).

In summary, if one messes up one's condition using a neurotransmitter affecting drug, I think you'd want to avoid using another neurotransmitter affecting drug to fix the problem.

Some people don't have the time your speaking of or access to the healthy lifestyle you may be alluding to.
We understand a wonderfully enriching environment will effect the brain in a positive epigentic manner, people don't currently have access to this, in general this costs money in the warped financial fiat currency system we live in,some people have had crap childhoods,it can take generations for these effects to change epigentically.

You will have to define healthy lifestyle ,some people work 9-5 office jobs and train like a pro athlete in the evening 5-7 days per week, tri-fit,marathons,iron man, taking high dose fish oils, they believe they are living a healthy lifestyle.

"Neurotransmitter drug" could easily be changed to,"coherent adaptogen".

David Chung

Some people don't have the time your speaking of or access to the healthy lifestyle you may be alluding to.
We understand a wonderfully enriching environment will effect the brain in a positive epigentic manner, people don't currently have access to this, in general this costs money in the warped financial fiat currency system we live in,some people have had crap childhoods,it can take generations for these effects to change epigentically.
At the outset, let me clarify that I am not telling people how to live their life - just saying certain drugs are more dangerous than others.

As for your point, I don't spend much time exercising (may be 1.5 hrs per week). I don't spend much time cooking. Actually, the most time consuming aspect of trying to stay "healthy" is learning and investigating information available through the Internet (e.g., reading Peat forum posts, lol, - I will dial it down, though, as soon as I catch up).

You will have to define healthy lifestyle ,some people work 9-5 office jobs and train like a pro athlete in the evening 5-7 days per week, tri-fit,marathons,iron man, taking high dose fish oils, they believe they are living a healthy lifestyle.
You are rightt - I was not being precise here. I suppose I was thinking about my own lifestyle when I typed that.

"
Neurotransmitter drug" could easily be changed to,"coherent adaptogen".
Here, I get the feeling you know the types of drugs I am talking about: dopamine agonist (bromo, caber, nicotine, etc.), SSRIs, GABA-related drugs, cholinergic drugs, choline esterase inhibitors, pain killers, etc.

Drareg

At the outset, let me clarify that I am not telling people how to live their life - just saying certain drugs are more dangerous than others.

As for your point, I don't spend much time exercising (may be 1.5 hrs per week). I don't spend much time cooking. Actually, the most time consuming aspect of trying to stay "healthy" is learning and investigating information available through the Internet (e.g., reading Peat forum posts, lol, - I will dial it down, though, as soon as I catch up).

You are rightt - I was not being precise here. I suppose I was thinking about my own lifestyle when I typed that.

"
Here, I get the feeling you know the types of drugs I am talking about: dopamine agonist (bromo, caber, nicotine, etc.), SSRIs, GABA-related drugs, cholinergic drugs, choline esterase inhibitors, pain killers, etc.

I understand you were not telling people how to live.
All of this is getting worse with the financial system,people looking for an escape, incorrect info out there everywhere.
The St. John's/5htp wort craze was scary enough,now with all the other crap out there.
It's the norm to have a stack of nootropics nowadays based on some brah science with fish oil thrown in.

Some of Peats recommendations can help, but some of them will and can be abused Im sure because of the stress people are dealing with, the advantage here is he is not recommending anything like benzodiazepines ,opioids which have potent withdrawals that can cause someone to commit suicide within days of withdrawals.

Drareg

What about Theanine ?
I have not taken dopergin but would like to so I can't compare.
Where did you source it?

haidut

Forum Supporter
For the people who find cypro making them tired/depleted. It is probably due to the dose. If you look at the Wikipedia page, the concentration needed to antagonize the 5-HT1 and 5-HT2 "receptors" is about 2-3 nM/L. This is achievable with even 1mg cypro. The dopamine "receptors" D1, D2, and D3 are also antagonized by cypro. For D1 and D2, the concentration needed is about 100nM/L, which is achievable with 8mg single dose cypro.
Cyproheptadine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Given that long half life of cypro (9 hours) taking 4mg a few times a day can also probably achieve it over a few days. The D3 receptor is antagonized at concentrations of 8 nM/L, so taking lower dose cypro seems to have predominantly anti-serotonin effect withouht antagonizing dopamine except possibly D3. It is the dopamine antagonism at higher doses that probably makes some people feel like not doing anything.
Once again, Peat's knowledge is hard to deny given his recommendations of taking cypro at 1mg for general purposes and 2mg only for very serious conditions like cancer.

Last edited:

dfspcc20

For the people who find cypro making them tired/depleted. It is probably due to the dose.

This has been my experience. 1mg will generally improve sleep. I have trouble getting out of bed the next morning, not due to grogginess, but rather it just feels really good to be relaxing in bed; reminds me of being a teenager. I generally feel pretty great the next day.

2mg and up, and I start to feel sluggish most of the next day.

Ritchie

@haidut I vaguely remember reading you saying that l-theanine and cypro shouldn't be taken together for some reason, but as much as I have looked for it, I can't find the post. Could you direct me too that post or am I mistaken about that? i.e. are they synergistic or is there a reason to not take them together? Thankyou

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut I vaguely remember reading you saying that l-theanine and cypro shouldn't be taken together for some reason, but as much as I have looked for it, I can't find the post. Could you direct me too that post or am I mistaken about that? i.e. are they synergistic or is there a reason to not take them together? Thankyou

They should be synergistic. I don't remember saying they have a bad interaction. We had a discussion some time ago on the forum that cyproheptadine and aspirin may thin the blood too much if taken together. Maybe that's what you are remembering.

Peata

I've taken theanine and cypro in the same day, usually higher doses of theanine and low on the cypro.

Ritchie

They should be synergistic. I don't remember saying they have a bad interaction. We had a discussion some time ago on the forum that cyproheptadine and aspirin may thin the blood too much if taken together. Maybe that's what you are remembering.
Cool thanks for clearing that up, I think I was thinking about the cypro-aspirin interaction

Ritchie

I've taken theanine and cypro in the same day, usually higher doses of theanine and low on the cypro.
I've been doing the same lately, taking higher amount of theanine (maybe 1 - 1.5 g throughout day/night) and lower dose cypro (like 1 mg) and finding it has been doing wonders for my sleep. Seems to have pretty much eliminated any anxiety/cortisol issues I was having during the night, and I used to wake up quite anxious and racey

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals