Cyproheptadine Withdrawal

LUH 3417

I have been using Cypro for the last two months before bed, the last few weeks only 1 mg. In the beginning I would use like 3 mg.
My bottle of Idealabs Cypro is running out. How likely is it I will experience withdrawal symptoms from stopping cypro? Can other serotonin antagonists stop cyproheptadine withdrawal? Say I take metergoline or lisuride, will that stop the serotonin rebound?
I’ve never had symptoms of cypro withdrawal and one time I was taking 16mg a day for a short period.

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

If you don't suffer from serotonin related anxiety, then you probably won't notice much.

Herbie

I have been using Cypro for the last two months before bed, the last few weeks only 1 mg. In the beginning I would use like 3 mg.
My bottle of Idealabs Cypro is running out. How likely is it I will experience withdrawal symptoms from stopping cypro? Can other serotonin antagonists stop cyproheptadine withdrawal? Say I take metergoline or lisuride, will that stop the serotonin rebound?

The only thing I experienced was having to wind down and go to sleep instead of crashing out while on cypro.

are there any references for serotonin rebound from cypro? I haven’t seen any yet.

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

I'm not sure I've ever seen any definitive proof you get a rebound, but I certainly felt increased anxiety during that time. The update for me is that I haven't taken any in a couple weeks as I've been feeling pretty good with just a few mgs of progesterone a day. No other supplements right now.

Mauritio

any success with other serotonin antagonists ? i am currently try to go off of it and i flush and sweat like crazy . sleep is also not great ...
maybe doing as janelle is a good idea and not too hard on the liver either ...

Waynish

I don't see any evidence that it isn't optimal to cycle cyproheptadine, do you? For me the effects are worst if I've been on too long, not bad if I come on it, and certainly a subtle but consistent improvement when I go on it.

Mauritio

I don't see any evidence that it isn't optimal to cycle cyproheptadine, do you? For me the effects are worst if I've been on too long, not bad if I come on it, and certainly a subtle but consistent improvement when I go on it.
I did take very little cypro the last two days and feel a lot better.
That might be the way to go...
I am thinking of maybe taking it 1-2 times per week .. That way i could work on better liver health and experience the benefits of lower prolactin, cortisol and serotonin at the same time.
Nevertheless i plan on trying the BCAA approach for lowering serotonin (https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/depleting-serotonin-with-bcaa.2449/)

Antonello

I think it opposes dopamine ... metergoline dossnt have this restless property
Metergoline gives me very restless sleep even just a tiny drop 0,4mg in the morning is too much energy for fall asleep.
I think metergoline can be hard on the adrenal because of this over stimulation I started to lose hairs after few days on it.
Cyproheptadine never do that to me.

cellboy

Maybe the withdrawal effects have sth to do with cholinergic nervous system, as it is the case with tobacco.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I have been on .5 mg dose at 7pm for 20 months. I have two failed attempts at getting off. I have been trying again for the last week. I ended up taking some once when I had high anxiety for no reason. I blamed the anxiety on eating vegetables. But one of the main issues with going off is that I wake up halfway through the night with a pounding heart. Cypro works nearly every night for that unless I'm under stress. I just want to know what is causing it that could be so easily stopped by a small amount of a drug. I don't really mind taking it but late last yr my liver enzymes were slightly raised. I got the advice to take K2 to help my liver but I'm bad about taking it. I will be retesting when I can successfully take a break from the drug to see if they go down to normal and if they don't then I know it's something else. I just wonder if the nighttime waking would eventually sort itself or would I just go back to how I used to be....Struggling with my hormones. I had made so many improvements in the last yr and I just hope it was not all due to this drug.

Did you ever have your blood sugar levels or liver markers measured during this time?