Cyproheptadine Prevents Exercise-induced Leaky Brain

OP
S
Yes, no gluten and don't pick your nose too hard. All membranes are one and the same.

OP
S
So I hypotesized all membranes be one and the same, and jokingly dubbed Blood Brain Barrier permeability "leaky brain", but it seems like it is actually covered in one webpage: http://www.sott.net/article/230878-Leak ... ensitivity I guess gluten might also contribute to dementia? That is, not just by enthroning itself in your gray matter (any starch), but also by increasing serotonin.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:

So, basically forced endurance exercise (even short term) causes BOTH increased serotonin content in plasma and brain, as well as increased permeability of BBB. The study says pCPA prevented both of these issues while cyproheptadine only prevented leakiness of BBB. This suggests that serotonin is the cause of leaky BBB, so things that lower serotonin levels should be helpful. This means a BCAA + tyrosine / phenylalanine combo may be helpful (and some studies do show benefit), and if one prefers drugs then adding tianeptine to the cyproheptadine should mimic the effects of pCPA.

OP
S
haidut said:
Such_Saturation said:

So, basically forced endurance exercise (even short term) causes BOTH increased serotonin content in plasma and brain, as well as increased permeability of BBB. The study says pCPA prevented both of these issues while cyproheptadine only prevented leakiness of BBB. This suggests that serotonin is the cause of leaky BBB, so things that lower serotonin levels should be helpful. This means a BCAA + tyrosine / phenylalanine combo may be helpful (and some studies do show benefit), and if one prefers drugs then adding tianeptine to the cyproheptadine should mimic the effects of pCPA.

Does BCAA also inhibit serotonin synthesis or just uptake? I'm wondering at what point it could exert its effects on membranes.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
haidut said:
Such_Saturation said:

Does BCAA also inhibit serotonin synthesis or just uptake? I'm wondering at what point it could exert its effects on membranes.

If you are willing to experiment, higher doses of plain L-phenylalanine do inhibit the TPH enzyme, which converts tryptophan into serotonin. The human studies I found used 12g in a single dose. I am not aware of any studies showing BCAA inhibit actual serotonin synthesis.

haidut said:
Such_Saturation said:

To prevent the serotinin-induced effects of forced endurance exercise, should cyproheptadine be taken prior to exercise or is taking it in the evening -- as most of us do -- sufficient?

My current pre-exercise stack for minimising stress is the BCAA + phenylalanine combo, B6, sodium bicarbonate, aspirin and caffeine -- all of which have been shown to reduce exercised induced stress (and/or improve performance) and thus accelerate recovery. Perhaps I should add cyproheptadine to this stack.

yoshiesque

Just wanted to ask - this study was done on rats, so how can we be that sure it is transferable to humans?

Its the same with fructose, they use studies on rats to show fructose is bad, but our livers actually have a mechanism for dealing with fructose properly, theirs doesnt.

im all for some exercise, so i wanna do the right thing. right now im just taking zinc post workout to prevent thyroid/testosterone drops.

In relation to BCAA, I thought it was not good for you?

Also, regarding sodium bicarbonate, how much do you take? Is it because we will be getting excess oxygen through exercise? I would have assumed that paper bag breathing is more effective, as RP says thats the best way to get more CO2 and that drinking soda water, consuming sodium bicarbonate are not as effective.

The effect of sodium bicarbonate ingestion on back squat and bench press exercise to failure.
"This study examined the acute effects of NaHCO3 ingestion on repetitions to failure and rating of perceived exertion in the back squat and bench press in trained men. Eight resistance-trained men took part in this double-blind, randomized crossover experimental study whereby they ingested NaHCO3 (0.3 g·kg(-1) body mass) or placebo (sodium chloride NaCl: 0.045 g·kg(-1) body mass) solution 60 minutes before completing a bout of resistance exercise (3 sets of bench press and back squat exercise to failure at an intensity of 80% 1 repetition maximum).
The results of this study suggest that sodium bicarbonate ingestion can enhance resistance exercise performance using a repetition to failure protocol in the first exercise in a resistance exercise session."

And:

Effect of acute induced metabolic alkalosis on 800-m racing time.
"Six trained middle-distance runners wer studied under alkalotic (NaHCO3 ingestion), placebo (CaCO3 ingestion), and control conditions to determine the effect of an acute induced metabolic alkalosis on time to run an 800-m race.
These results support the speculation that the increase in extracellular buffering following NaHCO3 ingestion facilitated H+ efflux from the cells of working muscle, thereby delaying the decrease in intracellular pH and postponing fatigue. It is concluded that the ingestion of NaHCO3 by trained middle-distance runners prior to an 800-m race has an ergogenic benefit."

Many more studies on sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) can be found here.

So it seems sodium bicarbonate works by reducing and delaying the acid buildup within muscles during exercise. In the first study above they used 0.3g per kilo of body mass, so for most people the dose will be around 15-30g an hour before exercise.

yoshiesque

wow! thats awesome thanks for posting all that information :)

Do you train to failure? I have kinda moved away from that whole thing now. I now train maybe 60-80% of failure. I still get improvements just at a slower rate. I do this mainly to avoid the stress/thyroid issues RP talks about from exercise.

Do you just add baking soda or something to water?

ALSO, i may have low stomach acid issues atm, wouldnt taking baking soda decrease it further? maybe if i take it on empty stomach...?

Waynish

Why is every form of leaky brain considered the same? Exercise would increase the leakiness of things, it seems - but this seems to imply exercise is bad. Wouldn't increasing the permeability of things - for a short period - increase the adaptability to things? Isn't this just showing short term BBB change - not long-term BBB damage?

benaoao

The effect of sodium bicarbonate ingestion on back squat and bench press exercise to failure.
"This study examined the acute effects of NaHCO3 ingestion on repetitions to failure and rating of perceived exertion in the back squat and bench press in trained men. Eight resistance-trained men took part in this double-blind, randomized crossover experimental study whereby they ingested NaHCO3 (0.3 g·kg(-1) body mass) or placebo (sodium chloride NaCl: 0.045 g·kg(-1) body mass) solution 60 minutes before completing a bout of resistance exercise (3 sets of bench press and back squat exercise to failure at an intensity of 80% 1 repetition maximum).
The results of this study suggest that sodium bicarbonate ingestion can enhance resistance exercise performance using a repetition to failure protocol in the first exercise in a resistance exercise session."

And:

Effect of acute induced metabolic alkalosis on 800-m racing time.
"Six trained middle-distance runners wer studied under alkalotic (NaHCO3 ingestion), placebo (CaCO3 ingestion), and control conditions to determine the effect of an acute induced metabolic alkalosis on time to run an 800-m race.
These results support the speculation that the increase in extracellular buffering following NaHCO3 ingestion facilitated H+ efflux from the cells of working muscle, thereby delaying the decrease in intracellular pH and postponing fatigue. It is concluded that the ingestion of NaHCO3 by trained middle-distance runners prior to an 800-m race has an ergogenic benefit."

Many more studies on sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) can be found here.

So it seems sodium bicarbonate works by reducing and delaying the acid buildup within muscles during exercise. In the first study above they used 0.3g per kilo of body mass, so for most people the dose will be around 15-30g an hour before exercise.

Very good. All I did was a tsp however I’m definitely progressively ramping up to 2tbsp now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals