Cyproheptadine Prevents Brain Damage From Stroke

haidut

Forum Supporter
The effect was dose dependent and higher doses of cyproheptadine completely prevented the nervous system damage caused by stroke. Bufotenin, a type of serotonin, prevented the protective effects of cyproheptadine indicating that damage in stroke conditions is at least partially mediated by serotonin.

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.100 ... 3-0927-7_4
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3982650

"...Several drugs that inhibit the effects of serotonin may reduce or prevent experimental CNS ischemic damage, but these drugs are not approved for human use in the United States. Administration of cyproheptadine (which is available for clinical use) 15 minutes before or 5 minutes after the onset increased the duration of experimental rabbit spinal cord ischemia required to produce irreversible paraplegia. Drugs thought to be serotonin agonists did not aggravate the damage, but bufotenin reversed protective effect of cyproheptadine. The results suggest that serotonin antagonists reduce ischemic CNS damage; cyproheptadine may be a potential treatment for ischemic stroke."

Fractality

Does cypro help prevent ischemic stroke too since it thins the blood? What about brain bleeding? Would cypro be preventive/protective against that? I'm curious because it thins the blood which is supposedly a risk factor for bleeding in the brain. I did find this study from one of your threads:

(Effects of cyproheptadine on TXB2 and 6-keto-PGF1 alpha plasma levels in rabbits with hemorrhagic shock.)
Effects of cyproheptadine on TXB2 and 6-keto-PGF1 alpha plasma levels in rabbits with hemorrhagic shock. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Does cypro help prevent ischemic stroke too since it thins the blood? What about brain bleeding? Would cypro be preventive/protective against that? I'm curious because it thins the blood which is supposedly a risk factor for bleeding in the brain. I did find this study from one of your threads:

(Effects of cyproheptadine on TXB2 and 6-keto-PGF1 alpha plasma levels in rabbits with hemorrhagic shock.)
Effects of cyproheptadine on TXB2 and 6-keto-PGF1 alpha plasma levels in rabbits with hemorrhagic shock. - PubMed - NCBI

It should be protective against the ischemic (clot) stroke types but may increase risk of bleeding in higher doses similar to aspirin. In doses below 4mg it should not be much of a risk but I would not combine with aspirin as then that risk is greatly amplified.

Fractality

It should be protective against the ischemic (clot) stroke types but may increase risk of bleeding in higher doses similar to aspirin. In doses below 4mg it should not be much of a risk but I would not combine with aspirin as then that risk is greatly amplified.

Hmmm, so not as good of a preventative against hemorraghic strokes? But then I read that aspirin actually reduces brain bleed risk, so I'm not so sure what to believe.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals