Cyproheptadine Patent Application 1980's

Raincoast

Pretty cool

Attachments

• Cyproheptadine Patent Paper 1986 (1).pdf
    154 KB · Views: 188

paymanz

Thanks raincoast!

Patent information says to only take at night as can be harmful in the day?
Is this only in cancer patients or generally ?

I think that is general recommendation because it can make you sleepy so its better to take it at night.

ATP

Cyproheptadine would be perfect if it didn't causes weight gain.

Herbie

Nice read. I personally used 2mg a night for 12 weeks which was therapeutic.

d1d2

Apparently if you watch your food intake, the weight stays off. How many calories are you consuming daily?

I found that cypro made me very hungry for the first month or so, then that effect wore off. I did gain some weight during that time. I take a quarter tablet / 1 mg at bed-time.

ATP

Apparently if you watch your food intake, the weight stays off. How many calories are you consuming daily?
I can't remember the exact calories I was having daily at the time but I made sure that my calories didn't change whilst taking Cypro and I still gained some weight.

Marg

I did a search last night on cyproheptadine and discovered Haidut's post MORE ON CYPROHEPTADINE, and thanks to Raincoat for the current post.

The individual who filed this patent is filing for "theraputic use of cyproheptadine" for various disease states. I don't know the intricacies of patent law, but I have this concept of a patent being a novel discovery, not a drug like Cypro that has been on the market for a long time. So, if this happens to be the case, anyone can just file a patent for any generic OTC drug? Any connection here to the fact that Cypro now must be prescribed by the physician and not available in the US? None of this fits right with me at all.

Somebody, please help me to understand this. Thanks.

David PS

The individual who filed this patent is filing for "theraputic use of cyproheptadine" for various disease states. I don't know the intricacies of patent law, but I have this concept of a patent being a novel discovery, not a drug like Cypro that has been on the market for a long time. So, if this happens to be the case, anyone can just file a patent for any generic OTC drug? Any connection here to the fact that Cypro now must be prescribed by the physician and not available in the US? None of this fits right with me at all.

Anyone can spend good money to file a patent application. The question is whether there is any value to the patent once it is issued. This patent application was withdrawn in 1991 presumably because the applicant conceded that it had problems and would not spend (waste) any more money to get the patent to issue. See the last tine of text at: EP0214557A3 - Use of serotonin antagonists, particularly cyproheptadine, in the treatment of cancer, alzheimer's disease, aids and multiple sclerosis - Google Patents

I see no reason to connect the filing of this patent application with the need for a prescription. In my mind, it as another instance of non-prescription alternatives being purposely made unavailable. Perhaps so that Big Pharma can profit.

Look at the bar graph in the following link to understand that Big Pharma is still actively working in this area. The graph shows the names assignees of patent documents (applications and issued patents) that use both the words 'cypro' and 'cancer'. Google Patents