Cyproheptadine Or Thorazine

M

member 6316

hey im on a road to reduce my VERY high serotonin levels. I checked out Cyproheptadine and my question is : is this the most powerful serotonin blocker? how is it compared to thorazine?
Cyproheptadine - Wikipedia

Look: can someone help me understand this list? I know the lower the number the stronger the effect. but i dont know what each is , i thought there were 14 serotonin receptors why is there only 7 here
SERT 4100 (RC)
NET 290 (RC)
5-HT1A 59
5-HT2A 1.67
5-HT2B 1.54
5-HT2C 2.23
5-HT3 228 (MN)
5-HT6 142
5-HT7 123.01
M1 12
M2 7
M3 12
M4 8
M5 11.8
D1 117
D2 112
D3 8
H1 0.06
H3 >10000
H4 201.5

Pointless

Cyproheptadine is super powerful but it may not be as potent in the brain as in the gut where it has proven benefits. Those numbers are binding affinities but don't tell you whether they activate or block a receptor. Many people think of Cyproheptadine as a functional antagonist of serotonin, meaning receptors are not entirely relevant.

If you want brain effects, consider experimenting with topical Cyproheptadine. Some people report more mood benefits, but I've never compared them personally.

Thorazine I know nothing about.

OP
M

member 6316

Cyproheptadine is super powerful but it may not be as potent in the brain as in the gut where it has proven benefits. Those numbers are binding affinities but don't tell you whether they activate or block a receptor. Many people think of Cyproheptadine as a functional antagonist of serotonin, meaning receptors are not entirely relevant.

If you want brain effects, consider experimenting with topical Cyproheptadine. Some people report more mood benefits, but I've never compared them personally.

Thorazine I know nothing about.
what so where is Cyproheptadine effective? you say its more potent in the gut then more potent in the brain?

But isnt like 90% of the serotonin made in the gut?

Herbie

Clink on those numbers in wiki, they are dopamine, histamine, cholinergic and serotonin receptors. it doesn't just lower serotonin.

I think cyproheptadine is recommended because its one of the safest anti-serotonin substances to take.

OP
M

member 6316

Clink on those numbers in wiki, they are dopamine, histamine, cholinergic and serotonin receptors. it doesn't just lower serotonin.

I think cyproheptadine is recommended because its one of the safest anti-serotonin substances to take.
what anti serotonin are there considered dangerous?

Pointless

what so where is Cyproheptadine effective? you say its more potent in the gut then more potent in the brain?

But isnt like 90% of the serotonin made in the gut?

I recommend searching for threads with Cyproheptadine in the title. Haidut has posted a lot about systemic benefits. I notice no mood benefits but some people do.

OP
M

member 6316

so combining wellbutrin with cypro good idea?

Herbie

Are you already taking wellbutrin or do you have reasoning to take them together?

aguilaroja

...I checked out Cyproheptadine ...how is it compared to thorazine?...

Thorazine is an older anti-psychotic medication. Its action includes antagonizing some dopamine actions, which probably account for its well known severe possible movement side effects, tardive dyskinesia and akisthisia. Extreme care and practitioner help is recommended if you investigate that route.
Chlorpromazine - Wikipedia

Please search the forum for comments about tianeptine, ondasetron and others for reports about serotonin-lowering agents.

AFAIK it is accurate that there are 14 total serotonin receptor subtypes, within 7 receptor families. The 5HT1 family has six subtypes, the 5HT2 family has 3 subtypes, and so on. I do not track when these tallies increase.
5-HT receptor - Wikipedia

No matter what the drug, here cyproheptadine, some subtypes may not have a calculated binding affinity [Ki]. Please be careful in reviewing binding affinities, since they are not necessarily a linear representation of the “strength” of a drug action.

Please also be mindful Dr. Peat, Gilbert Ling, PhD., and many forum posters have reservation about the membrane “receptor” reasoning. Even when drug receptor data is mentioned here, it is a concession to research reporting rather than accepting dogma.

Serotonin: Effects in disease, aging and inflammation
“The culture that has happy and unhappy hormones was a culture in which each hormone had a receptor, a substance in a cell which, when its ligand was bound to it, made the cell do something. Although that culture still has influence in the 21st century, discoveries made between 1940 and 1970 showed that those mechanical ideas of receptors didn't reflect biological reality.”

DaveFoster

Cyproheptadine is not very strong after you develop a tolerance; it's still potent, but it's often not enough. I take 4 mg before bed, and it helps, but I need 24 mg+ to feel "optimal;" you could try combining anti-serotonin drugs.

Dr. Peat recommends progesterone, as it has "specific anti-serotonin actions," and thyroid, which increases the breakdown of serotonin. Pregnenolone can muffle the HPA response to stress. Most anti-serotonin drugs will make you gain weight in the long-run.

Regina

Cyproheptadine is not very strong after you develop a tolerance; it's still potent, but it's often not enough. I take 4 mg before bed, and it helps, but I need 24 mg+ to feel "optimal;" you could try combining anti-serotonin drugs.

Dr. Peat recommends progesterone, as it has "specific anti-serotonin actions," and thyroid, which increases the breakdown of serotonin. Pregnenolone can muffle the HPA response to stress. Most anti-serotonin drugs will make you gain weight in the long-run.
Dave, How many drops is 24 mg? Is it like 48 drops of Haidut's cypro?

Herbie

Care to elaborate on the safety of LSD?

If so, maybe do it here so as not to derail this thread.

The point I was making was that cyprohepatine isn't the most powerful anti-serotonin substance but is recommend because its one of the safest due to low side effects.

I just used lsd as an example of not being as safe because it has other side effects like hallucinating which wouldn't be safe to operate machinery for example. Refer Chemical Brothers 'Believe' film clip :eek:

Herbie

I took that dosage of 4mg of periactin every few hours to see what would happen and I could hardly function, I wouldn't recommend it.

Ray Peat on Cyproheptadine: 'I think thats one of the safest antihistamine drugs because it tends to bring down the serotonin.' 'After you have used a few of the typical dosages of 1 or 2mg it seems that you get more sensitive to it and can get a good reaction from it from 1/10th of a milligram.'

about the 45 minute mark:

lampofred

i take that much with barely any effect, and i read that people on here get sedated with just 1-2 mg... i can't figure out if it means i have super high serotonin or super low.

i definitely have many symptoms of too-high serotonin but i do so much anti serotonin stuff that i don't know how it's even possible

DaveFoster

i take that much with barely any effect, and i read that people on here get sedated with just 1-2 mg... i can't figure out if it means i have super high serotonin or super low.

i definitely have many symptoms of too-high serotonin but i do so much anti serotonin stuff that i don't know how it's even possible
Getting a 24-hour urine cortisol test can give some insight. I think most have high serotonin in modern society.

Think of Plato's Allegory of the Cave; the brain adapts to a certain energetic level, and if left long enough, this becomes the brain "normal;" Dr. Peat has mentioned that it takes a few months for the brain to adapt to a new metabolic threshold. After lowering stress, initially we receive relief, but over time we become accustomed to this new state. Counter this with the potential increasing stressors in our environment and aging, and we must constantly be attentive to our need to adjust the medications and hormones we consume.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom