Cyproheptadine May Relieve Low Appetite And Low Body Weight

aguilaroja

Cyproheptadine may relieve low appetite and low body weight

This review is mainly a summary of evidence that cyproheptadine may boost appetite and weight in underweight groups, including those with chronic illness. Other pharma choices to boost appetite and weight can be problematic.

There are many forums posts about cyproheptadine, including for weight gain, for instance:
cyproheptadine for weight gain
Dr. Peat, @haidut and others have describe how serotonin lowering effect may boost metabolism. Improved metabolism tends to optimize weight in either direction, depending on individual circumstance.

The study does not discuss ways cyproheptadine might do this. Perhaps there is background caution about challenging the serotonin-produces-happiness myth.
The overall safety described for cyproheptadine is notable.

Use of cyproheptadine to stimulate appetite and body weight gain: A systematic review. - PubMed - NCBI
"In general, CY was well tolerated in all studies with no serious adverse effects reported. As noted throughout the tables, mild to moderate drowsiness was commonly reported across many studies but was rarely severe enough to lead to medication discontinuation. In one study, authors noted that sedation appeared to be dose dependent (Silbert, 1971). Irritability was also reported as a side effect in one study (Lemoine et al., 2018) and nausea and dizziness in another (Irsy & Szatloczky, 1977). Studies that explored possible biochemical and laboratory changes in those taking CY showed no significant alterations to results either pre- versus post- trial or in treatment versus placebo groups, including fasting glucose (Najjar & Khachadurian, 1969; Stiel, Liddle, & Lacy, 1970), plasma insulin (Najjar & Khachadurian, 1969; Stiel et al., 1970), plasma growth hormone (Stiel et al., 1970), plasma free fatty acids(Stiel et al., 1970), plasma free amino acids (Najjar & Khachadurian, 1969), glucose tolerance (Najjar & Khachadurian, 1969), or urea (Noble, 1969)...." 

"Based on this literature review and studies completed to date, CY appears to be a safe, generally well-tolerated medication that has utility in helping facilitate weight gain in patients drawn from a variety of underweight populations."

ddjd

I can attest to the fact that cyproheptadine will make you very fat and give you a HUGE appetite

It does improve appetite, I take half an hour before a meal. Really makes me hungry. I think it also speeds up digestion. I've been using it for 4 months now. I have gained some fat, but nothing extreme. I also gained some muscle, so I enjoy that trade-off. Initially I thought I was having water retention because of cypro, but it turned out to be from the rice I was eating, since I was hungrier than before and could stomach more food, including rice. Dropping the rice entirely solved the water retention. I also feel much better. I wonder if people who use cypro end up eating more fat or starch. That would explain why some gain too much weight on it.

thyrulian

Can anyone possibly provide insight as to why Idealabs' Cypro product didn't affect [my rat's] appetite whatsoever?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals