Cyproheptadine Is Anti-inflammatory

haidut

Forum Supporter
Another benefit to the long list of good effects of cyproheptadine, and a confirmation that serotonin contributes to the inflammatory response.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/412631
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2624123

"...Cyproheptadine, an anti-5-hydroxytryptamine drug, 20 mg/kg ip or 20-40 mg/kg ig markedly inhibited hind paw edema induced by injection of fresh egg white 0.1 ml or 2.5% formaldehyde 0.1 ml in rats. Cyproheptadine 20 mg/kg ip or 40-60 mg/kg ig inhibited hind paw edema produced by local injection of 0.15 ml 1% carrageenin in normal or adrenalectomized rats. It inhibited the proliferation of granuloma induced by cotton pellet after sc 20 mg/kg qd x 7d, the swelling of mouse ear induced by xylene, and the increased vascular permeability induced by 0.7% HAc in mice. Cyproheptadine did not prolong the survival time in adrenalectomized rats and there were no marked effects on adrenal weight or the plasma concentration of cortisol in rats. It decreased the weight of the thymus and the content of prostaglandin E in the inflammatory tissue of rats. These results suggest that the anti-inflammatory activity of cyproheptadine is presumably due to its anti-5-hydroxytryptamine effect and the inhibition of synthesis or release of prostaglandin E."

Dean

No wonder this drug has been targeted to be removed from circulation. They can't have this drug derailing their gravy train. How is everyone still getting scripts written for this?

answersfound

Dean said:
No wonder this drug has been targeted to be removed from circulation. They can't have this drug derailing their gravy train. How is everyone still getting scripts written for this?

I made up some story to a GP that I used to take it when I was younger.

chris

lookingforanswers said:
Dean said:

Could they not check your records to see that you didn't? You in UK?

answersfound

chris said:
lookingforanswers said:
Dean said:

Could they not check your records to see that you didn't? You in UK?

I'm in the U.S. its not the kind of drug that has abuse potential so I would doubt they would check it. And I don't think they can anyways.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Dean said:

Care to elaborate? What are the plans to remove it from circulation? That would be very bad indeed and a sign that I will need to restock on supply that can last me a decade. The drug is dirt cheap and a supply for 10 years is probably not going to cost over $200.

Dean

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Consume ... 244852.htm

If you go to this page and click on the link of "unapproved drugs", cyproheptadine is on it. However, when I saw this I didn't notice that it was from 2011 and supposedly all production of drugs on this list was to stop within 90 or 180 days. So, maybe a later exception came along or it is just being ignored? Or maybe, they are still just selling through what they still have in stock?

Anyway, I was thinking of asking a cousin who recently became a nurse practicioner if she would write me a script for cypro; but when I saw this I decided not to, for fear of putting her in a difficult position.

jaa

haidut said:
Dean said:

Care to elaborate? What are the plans to remove it from circulation? That would be very bad indeed and a sign that I will need to restock on supply that can last me a decade. The drug is dirt cheap and a supply for 10 years is probably not going to cost over $200.

If you don't mind, where do you get cypro? The stuff I found in Canada is ~ $50/bottle.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
jaa said:
haidut said:
Dean said:

If you don't mind, where do you get cypro? The stuff I found in Canada is ~ $50/bottle.

Search Google for "cyproheptadine ADC". Drop the quotes when you search for the text in Google.

jaa

Thanks. Nothing shows up except a few papers :/.

My $50/bottle was a little off. I just checked www.well.ca and they sell 100 pills (4mg/pill) for $38 if any Canadians are looking.

Dean

ravster02 said:
Go to alldaychemist.com and search for cyproheptadine.

90 tablets for $4.87.

Is this place for real? I mean, have you ordered from there and actually gotten the stuff and could tell it was what they say it is? I guess it's worth a shot. Shipping is a flat $25, but still if you get burned it's no big loss.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Dean said:
ravster02 said:

90 tablets for $4.87.

Is this place for real? I mean, have you ordered from there and actually gotten the stuff and could tell it was what they say it is? I guess it's worth a shot. Shipping is a flat $25, but still if you get burned it's no big loss.

ADC is by far the most popular online pharmacy and uses the same drug suppliers that make drugs for the US market. Basically, you a getting USA quality drugs for fraction of the price. Unfortunately, they don't have some of the Peat recommended stuff like thyroid (they have extended release version of T3 which sucks). Overall, ADC combined with one of the Mexican pharmacies selling thyroid should cover all your pharma drug needs.

Dean

haidut said:
Dean said:
ravster02 said:

90 tablets for $4.87.

ADC is by far the most popular online pharmacy and uses the same drug suppliers that make drugs for the US market. Basically, you a getting USA quality drugs for fraction of the price. Unfortunately, they don't have some of the Peat recommended stuff like thyroid (they have extended release version of T3 which sucks). Overall, ADC combined with one of the Mexican pharmacies selling thyroid should cover all your pharma drug needs.

Thanks. Didn't realize you needed a prescription to order though. So, won't do me any good anyway.

ravster02

Dean said:
haidut said:
Dean said:
ravster02 said:

90 tablets for $4.87.

Thanks. Didn't realize you needed a prescription to order though. So, won't do me any good anyway.

You don't need a prescription.

And they're totally fine btw, I've ordered plenty of times from them in the past and as recently as a couple of weeks ago too with no problems.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
ravster02 said:
Dean said:
haidut said:
Dean said:
ravster02 said:

90 tablets for $4.87.

You don't need a prescription.

And they're totally fine btw, I've ordered plenty of times from them in the past and as recently as a couple of weeks ago too with no problems.

Yeah, I am not sure where the prescription issue is coming from. At least for US clients, ADC ships pretty much anything without a prescription. I think they give you the option to send a prescription (most likely to appease FDA) but don't actually require it.
Can you take a screenshot of the prescription requirement on their website or send a link to the prescription page?

Dean

I just saw on their "FAQ" that a prescription was required. I hadn't tried to place an order. Glad to hear it's not an issue. I'll see what happens when I try to place an order. Going to order some stuff to deal with my parasite issues as well. Anything else Peatish there, I should take a look at?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Dean said:
I just saw on their "FAQ" that a prescription was required. I hadn't tried to place an order. Glad to hear it's not an issue. I'll see what happens when I try to place an order. Going to order some stuff to deal with my parasite issues as well. Anything else Peatish there, I should take a look at?

Oh yeah, tons of stuff - clonidine, progesterone, ondansetron, cabergoline, pramipexole, exemestane (DHT), etc.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
RPDiciple said:
Can this be used for ppl struggle w water retention and edema then?

I guess it could, since it is also a diuretic. But water retention comes primarily from high estrogen, so lowering it with vitamin E is probably better approach.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals