Cyproheptadine Induced Apathy - How To Overcome?

dookie

So I used cyproheptadine a few weeks ago. Just a single dose of about 0.5-1 mg (I cut a 4 mg tablet). I've used this dose before without many issues, but have noticed apathy when I used it in the past too, just that in the past the apathy passed in a few days. Now, the apathy from the dose I took seems to have persisted for several weeks. It's like a "nothing matters" feelings. Can't laugh at jokes. Can't have hope and plans for the future.

Any idea on how to overcome this? Massive amounts of coffee doesn't seem to do it

OP
D

dookie

How do you know it's causal, or even related?

Didn't have this problem for months leading up to the cypro. It started immediately after the cypro. I haven't taken other supplements or drugs, and my diet is pretty consistent.

I know the feeling very well, from previous cyproheptadine experiments, just that, like I said, it used to disappear in a few days. Coffee used to take care of it. But I guess I'm a bit more immune to coffee now, since I drink so large amounts regularly.

Milena

It affects dopamine receptors - I'd start your search there.

DaveFoster

Didn't have this problem for months leading up to the cypro. It started immediately after the cypro. I haven't taken other supplements or drugs, and my diet is pretty consistent.

I know the feeling very well, from previous cyproheptadine experiments, just that, like I said, it used to disappear in a few days. Coffee used to take care of it. But I guess I'm a bit more immune to coffee now, since I drink so large amounts regularly.
It's very likely a serotonin rebound. I just took 12 mg, and I can go 90 seconds without breathing; I feel light and airy. BP is 120/70, pulse is 85. All is well.

OP
D

dookie

It's very likely a serotonin rebound. I just took 12 mg, and I can go 90 seconds without breathing; I feel light and airy. BP is 120/70, pulse is 85. All is well.

And if you suddenly stop taking that, don't you get any rebound a few days later? That seems like a massive dose!

Bluebell

I find my brain slows a little bit the morning after cypro. I'm wondering if there is an anticholinergic effect of cypro. I find a one-off moderate amount of B5 or pantethine helps (like 200mg for me). It helps convert choline to acetylcholine (I eat egg yolks for the choline).

sladerunner69

How can you go longer without breathing when an increase in the respiration rate increases oxygen consumption and CO2 expulsion?

DaveFoster

And if you suddenly stop taking that, don't you get any rebound a few days later? That seems like a massive dose!
I take 4-8 mg daily. 12 is a little high, but I've done 40 mg for a couple weeks. I might get some rebound; it might be related to constipation + the serotonin rebound (they're related of course). A laxative like cascara, quite a bit of pregnenolone, and aspirin should be able to control any "rebound."

How can you go longer without breathing when an increase in the respiration rate increases oxygen consumption and CO2 expulsion?
From my understanding, cypro antagonizes cortisol, serotonin, and adrenaline (particularly the first two) to a greater degree than any other activity.

Peaterpeater

I would like to know the answer to this too. I also feel very apathetic for a day or two when taking just 0.5mg of Cypro. I basically become zombie like and can't really accomplish much other than laying around the house and bed all day. What causes this. On the upside, it relieves my diarhea very quickly but just for the day or so.

Peaterpeater

I've stopped taking Cypro because I need to live, drive, clean and run so many errands in the day. I don't have time to just veg at home......it makes me quite lethargic and depressed.

Milena

I've stopped taking Cypro because I need to live, drive, clean and run so many errands in the day. I don't have time to just veg at home......it makes me quite lethargic and depressed.
Is it because you are so used to running on stress hormones?

Peaterpeater

How can I be sure if my stress hormones are high? My pulse is quite low; in the low 60's and I believe I am hypothyroid because of the low pulse, low energy, weight gain, etc. So it is very possible that my cortisol is high while adrenaline is low. I know when I have increased adreneline because my heart races and my pulse reaches mid 70's which is far from my baseline. This usually happens if I drink black coffee on an empty stomach....something I never do anymore.

Peaterpeater

Is it because you are so used to running on stress hormones?

How can I be sure if my stress hormones are high? My pulse is quite low; in the low 60's and I believe I am hypothyroid because of the low pulse, low energy, weight gain, etc. So it is very possible that my cortisol is high while adrenaline is low. I know when I have increased adreneline because my heart races and my pulse reaches mid 70's which is far from my baseline. This usually happens if I drink black coffee on an empty stomach....something I never do anymore.

Waynish

This is an answer I see a lot in the Peat community, and I also think there needs to be a better response that includes tests and methods to know you're on the right track - instead of assuming certain markers - like cortisol - needs to be lowered more...

Xisca

opethfeldt

The problem with Cyproheptadine, and really anything that lowers cortisol, is that if you have been running off stress hormones for a while, you'll feel like crap when those stress hormones are lowered. The best thing to do is either take thyroid or find some other way to support your metabolism so that you have the energy to function without running off cortisol and other stress hormones. In this way, Cyproheptadine is a very good theraputic tool. One other thing worth mentioning is that the extreme sedation and apathy you experience on Cyproheptadine should go away after a few weeks at most, or at least reduce in severity. I'm not sure why it still affects you so negatively even weeks into things but I'd say your body just isn't able to handle the drop in stress hormones just yet without a little extra work on your part.

Raincoast

I do 4mg Cypro. Caffeine and T3 brings me back to being human in the mornings. Ease into the caffeine or it makes you feel even worse with too much. I do 200mg every few hours 'til noon.

InChristAlone

I've been on .5 mg for 6 months sometimes if I go up to 1 mg I'm way too sluggish the next day, but I don't experience depression unless something is off. Maybe try niacinamide that seems to lift my mood and give energy. Also be sure you are getting enough sunlight. Low dopamine is low light.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals