Cyproheptadine For Insomnia

mrchibbs

Does cyproheptadine negatively affect memory in the way that OTCs like Benadryl have been proven to do?

Again, I think if those first generation anti-histamines affect memory it's because they lower stress.
One of the aspects of adaptive high stress hormones like cortisol is to improve cognition at the expense of every other function.
When you lower chronically high stress hormones you may feel like you lose mental acuity but in fact it was merely propped up by stress hormones.
I think it's normal, and you should expect to be "dumber" and more forgetful for a while, during your recovery from a chronically high stressed state.

mrchibbs

16mg? I've seen grandmas taking double that in the literature. Max is more like 200mg but even then it's hard to get much side effect: Review of the epidemiology and characteristics of intentional cyproheptadine overdose in Hong Kong. - PubMed - NCBI

Hahaha ok so I stand corrected. (mean doses of 188mg, wut^!?#, just how many tablets do you have to take to reach this dosage) I swear I've read something about a lethal threshold dose of cypro, based on the link you've just given me that must have been a load of bull****.

Still, I haven't seen much more than 16mg used for most issues. Can you send me the references on grandmas taking 30+mg lol?

vrd2107

Cyproheptadine has helped immensely with my ability to fall asleep (under normal stress levels) and stay asleep. Sadly, I’ve never gained weight on it or experienced an increase of appetite, even though I would have gladly enjoyed that side effect. When my stress levels are very high, or I’m experiencing emotional distress, Cypro does nothing for me, however.

Ableton

It increases the appetite by dysregulating appetite control in the brain. Consequently, if you answer this appetite you are not answering true caloric needs but eating beyond what you need. Lot of people on here getting fat from cypro because of this so it needs to be stated that yes you will get fat from it if caloric intake exceeds requirements (applies always regardless) because of the appetite for food is increased. Maybe you are an exception to this, but you know what they say about exceptions...

Not saying you will automatically get fat from it but if you follow the increased appetite you will eventually start packing on pounds. If you keep calories controlled you won't. But good luck with that as most people don't have that kind of willpower.

half of the people end up here bc of a history of undereating, me included
Cypro made my hunger normal. Actually it’s still around 500cal lower then what I need, was around 1000 cal before though, or even more

OP
M

metabolizm

Thank you all for your thoughts.

For a bit more context: I've been more anxious than normal - and my baseline is not good in the first place - over the last two months. This has been causing all sorts of problems. See this thread. Yes, my adrenaline is definitely high a lot of the time.

I tend to fall asleep fairly quickly when I get to bed, but I've been getting up several times to pee. After the third trip to the toilet, I'm often getting back into bed fully awake, and unable to get back to sleep. I'm just too alert. So I've been surviving on little fragments of sleep here or there, which is not good.

I'm going to try aspirin first, tonight, and we'll see how that goes.

Ableton

Thank you all for your thoughts.

For a bit more context: I've been more anxious than normal - and my baseline is not good in the first place - over the last two months. This has been causing all sorts of problems. See this thread. Yes, my adrenaline is definitely high a lot of the time.

I tend to fall asleep fairly quickly when I get to bed, but I've been getting up several times to pee. After the third trip to the toilet, I'm often getting back into bed fully awake, and unable to get back to sleep. I'm just too alert. So I've been surviving on little fragments of sleep here or there, which is not good.

I'm going to try aspirin first, tonight, and we'll see how that goes.

I stopped having to pee all the time when I made all liquids I consume OJ and milk (aka food)

OP
M

metabolizm

I stopped having to pee all the time when I made all liquids I consume OJ and milk (aka food)

Do you drink coffee too?

I think my night-time urination is related to occasional prostate inflammation.

HLP

I've been sleeping terribly for the past few weeks, and someone suggested I try cyproheptadine. Is that likely to help with sleep? What dosage would be appropriate, and when would be best to take it?
Yes, I find it prevents early morning awakenings. I only take 1/4 tab of the lowest dose available. I don't have my bottle to tell you the dose.

Summer

Again, I think if those first generation anti-histamines affect memory it's because they lower stress.
One of the aspects of adaptive high stress hormones like cortisol is to improve cognition at the expense of every other function.
When you lower chronically high stress hormones you may feel like you lose mental acuity but in fact it was merely propped up by stress hormones.
I think it's normal, and you should expect to be "dumber" and more forgetful for a while, during your recovery from a chronically high stressed state.

It’s such a risky bet though. What if it’s a permanent side effect? Memory is too valuable.

mrchibbs

It’s such a risky bet though. What if it’s a permanent side effect? Memory is too valuable.

That's not the way physiology works. Maintaining cognition from stress hormones will not last forever. Eventually it will fail. Taking cyproheptadine is not risky whatsoever in that regard.

redsun

Well, I am not even a fan of even short term memory impairment. But if you stop taking it the antagonism of muscarinic receptors and histamine receptors go away and your memory would likely return to normal.

The Effects of Antihistamines on Cognition and Performance - PubMed

"In a recent comparative trial, subjects who were treated with the first-generation agent diphenhydramine were found to have significant performance deficits on tests of divided attention, working memory, vigilance, and speed. "

Cypro is first generation antihistamine as well so easily applies here for it too. Histamine is necessary for mental speed, memory, etc. as the study states. So its no surprise it makes you, basically, a little dumb. Again it would go away once you stop taking it but its important to understand what its actually doing, no mystery or what not, its antagonizing brain histamine which is vital for brain function.

Last edited:

ilhanxx

After a meanwhile antihistamines have rebound effect for me. doxylamine and cypro has the same effect. interrupted sleep, sound obsessive, meaningless wake up hardening my life. b3 with aspirin works but not everytime.

FitnessMike

how about alternating between cypro and aspirin to avoid adaptation etc

Brandin

Stress hormones dont improve cognition, wym? Since your brain runs on glucose and it stops you from utilizing glucose it makes you plain stupid. The only stresshormones that has a short term cognitive effect but that is still anti cognitive long term is adrenalines. In my belief cortisol will increase your memory from when "dangerous" things happen. The rest of the day should be less remembered under high cortisol.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals