Cyproheptadine Effective For Functional GI Disorders

haidut

Forum Supporter
Human study and with children, so safety was certainly a priority for this study. As you can see, a human dose of 0.14mg/kg cyproheptadine was effective in variety of "functional" disorders including the dreaded irritable bowel syndrome and functional dyspepsia. This study claims that for the first time a positive effect has been demonstrated in the condition IBS, which officially has no cure. Perhaps the most interesting observation was that BMI was the best predictor of positive effect. Cyproheptadine is known to raise BMI in malnourished people, so it is possible that functional GI conditions are simply a case of chronic malnourishment.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26308312

"...RESULTS:

Among 307 patients, 151 included. 58% females, ages 1-18 years (median 9). 110 (72.8%), reported complete symptom improvement, 41 (27.2%) reported none or partial improvement. Mean initial, and final dose in CIG 4.85 mg/d (0.14 mg/kg/d), and 5.34 mg/d (0.14 mg/kg/d) respectively. 102/151(68%) reported no side effects. Side effects: sleepiness 19/151 (13%), weight gain 15/151 (10%). Cyproheptadine was effective in improving symptoms of FAP, FD, in a relatively larger number of patients. Cases in smaller numbers had significant improvement 13/18 (72%) AM, 10/10 (100%) IBS, and 6/8 (75%) CVS. This is the first time report of improvement in IBS. Other pharmacodynamics: the lower the body weight, the higher are the odds of none to partial improvement; patients in NIG/PIG experience more side effects compared to CIG; the single best predictor of clinical improvement was BMI. A one unit increase in BMI with Cyproheptadine use increased the odds of clinical improvement by 1.5 fold (p = .01)."

Makrosky

Thanks haidut! Those are great news.

I'm wondering why they're still researching old drugs like cypro. Big pharma tends to brainwash MD's away of old drugs in favour of patented new ones.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Makrosky said:
post 103384 Thanks haidut! Those are great news.

I'm wondering why they're still researching old drugs like cypro. Big pharma tends to brainwash MD's away of old drugs in favour of patented new ones.

Since all new drugs have been mostly abysmal failure, researching old drugs seems like a natural decision for big pharma. Keep in mind that just because a drug has expired patent, that won't prevent a company from monopolizing it in the US. A pharma company can still get approval for an old drug as a treatment of new disease and get it out of the supply chain and/or greatly increase its price. The latter will effectively prevent most people from getting it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Makrosky

haidut said:
post 103395
Makrosky said:
post 103384 Thanks haidut! Those are great news.

Since all new drugs have been mostly abysmal failure, researching old drugs seems like a natural decision for big pharma. Keep in mind that just because a drug has expired patent, that won't prevent a company from monopolizing it in the US. A pharma company can still get approval for an old drug as a treatment of new disease and get it out of the supply chain and/or greatly increase its price. The latter will effectively prevent most people from getting it.

Wow! I didn't know that could happen...I hope that can't happen in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:

onioneyedox

In Europe it seems to be behind prescription wall, and many people can't order from India, for example, in fear of prosecution, lol. At least in US people have still some personal freedom left.

Nighteyes

Does anyone know or suspect to what extent Dimenhydrinate would provide the same benefits as Cyproheptadine? Cypro is simply impossible to obtain where I live...

tomisonbottom

Human study and with children, so safety was certainly a priority for this study. As you can see, a human dose of 0.14mg/kg cyproheptadine was effective in variety of "functional" disorders including the dreaded irritable bowel syndrome and functional dyspepsia. This study claims that for the first time a positive effect has been demonstrated in the condition IBS, which officially has no cure. Perhaps the most interesting observation was that BMI was the best predictor of positive effect. Cyproheptadine is known to raise BMI in malnourished people, so it is possible that functional GI conditions are simply a case of chronic malnourishment.

Cyproheptadine Use in Children With Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders. - PubMed - NCBI

"...RESULTS:

Among 307 patients, 151 included. 58% females, ages 1-18 years (median 9). 110 (72.8%), reported complete symptom improvement, 41 (27.2%) reported none or partial improvement. Mean initial, and final dose in CIG 4.85 mg/d (0.14 mg/kg/d), and 5.34 mg/d (0.14 mg/kg/d) respectively. 102/151(68%) reported no side effects. Side effects: sleepiness 19/151 (13%), weight gain 15/151 (10%). Cyproheptadine was effective in improving symptoms of FAP, FD, in a relatively larger number of patients. Cases in smaller numbers had significant improvement 13/18 (72%) AM, 10/10 (100%) IBS, and 6/8 (75%) CVS. This is the first time report of improvement in IBS. Other pharmacodynamics: the lower the body weight, the higher are the odds of none to partial improvement; patients in NIG/PIG experience more side effects compared to CIG; the single best predictor of clinical improvement was BMI. A one unit increase in BMI with Cyproheptadine use increased the odds of clinical improvement by 1.5 fold (p = .01)."

Do you know how long the study term was? I clicked on it and didn't see that.

paymanz

damn , it is sad because cypro is an old drug but no GI doctors prescribe it to patient with those ibs like symptomes.it could help me a lot few years ago if my doc gave it to me. old cheap drug,you can find anywhere!

Makrosky

Where in Europe can one get cypro without perscription?

In Spain. It's called "Periactin".

I think it's not legal to sell drugs (wether prescription free or not) in online pharmacies in Spain, so you can try contacting by email/phone a physical pharmacy in one of the big cities like Madrid or Barcelona and ask them to send it to you, although they are very reluctant to do so. Pharmacists in Spain are lazy people, tending to moronic I would say.

Last edited:

mirc12354

I am from Slovenia, so a trip to a local pharmacy in Italy/Austria/Croatia/Hungary would take me a few hours at most. Anybody knows if one can get it in any of the mentioned countries?

InChristAlone

Cypro helped me gain weight. I'm the typical thin high adrenaline type and lose my appetite a lot. It's the best thing I've found for increasing appetite. Tried not taking any for a couple weeks adrenaline seemed to get worse and worse. One tiny dose and I feel somewhat back to myself again. I wish I could solve my issues without it but for now it's a wonder drug.

lindsay

Cypro helped me gain weight. I'm the typical thin high adrenaline type and lose my appetite a lot. It's the best thing I've found for increasing appetite. Tried not taking any for a couple weeks adrenaline seemed to get worse and worse. One tiny dose and I feel somewhat back to myself again. I wish I could solve my issues without it but for now it's a wonder drug.

I just started taking very small doses of Cypro (0.5 mg) because I get extremely upset stomach when I am stressed and it hit me hard last week (which I discovered was due to being pre-menstrual, but still nonetheless). While I love the way it gives this calm peaceful feel taking it (both to me and my stomach), it also seems to bind me up - this I do not like. Did you have any trouble with extreme drowsiness and/or constipation taking it? I've only taken 3 small doses (one each day), but I'm inclined to stop taking it unless I am approaching another stressful work day - which I will be. It just makes me too sedated - almost more like what I would imagine an opiate would do. Thanks for any input!! I am not typically high adrenaline - I've been taking thyroid for long enough to counteract that. But certain times of stress and the adrenaline/cortisol comes raging.

InChristAlone

Yes .5 mg is enough to cause drowsiness for me as well, and I typically give up after about a week. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be needed every single day just when stress is high, but I do find I can eat more while on it which is always my problem. I haven't had too much issue with constipation as long as I'm getting some type of fiber in my diet. Fruit fiber really seems to keep things moving. Or maybe carrot salad.

DaveFoster

@haidut
Do you think ritanserin would have the same effect as cyproheptadine on the gut? I'm not sure of a mechanism aside from serotonin antagonism; I know that cyproheptadine interrupts the process of endotoxin poisoning, but I'd assume this is related to the former point.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut
Do you think ritanserin would have the same effect as cyproheptadine on the gut? I'm not sure of a mechanism aside from serotonin antagonism; I know that cyproheptadine interrupts the process of endotoxin poisoning, but I'd assume this is related to the former point.

Yes, ritanserin and mianserin are actually TLR4 antagonists so they should directly oppose endotoxin. And if you search Peat's website you will see he wrote that anti-serotonin drugs can actually cure issues like IBS and dyspepsia. So, ritanserin should work just as well as cypro but without the dry mouth and urine retention due to cypro's anti-cholinergic effects.

Giraffe

I am from Slovenia, so a trip to a local pharmacy in Italy/Austria/Croatia/Hungary would take me a few hours at most. Anybody knows if one can get it in any of the mentioned countries?
I read that you can buy it over the counter in Austria. Don't know about the other countries you mentioned.