Cyproheptadine & Bodybuilding - ZERO Pumps?

aussiebaldguy

I have been using Cyproheptadine for the past few days in the evenings, around 4mg.

I have been noticing complete absence/lack of PUMPS in the gym. Literally feel so flat and weak.

What's the actual mechanism of action here?

Thanks!
I found this in a body building forum

Most, if not all, common antihistamines exert an anticholinergic effect. This can have a slightly negative effect on strength/muscle fiber recruitment and power.

mujuro

I like that theory. I do take it 4 hours before bed. Works like a charm for sleep. But, the weakness is still definitely noticeable the next day.

One of the questions I've been pondering is why doesn't cypro induce a potent sedating effect for me? Like I remember the first few times I tried it, I thought it was going to hit me very hard, but in fact, it was easily manageable and I barely noticed any drowsiness.

Couldn't tell you. But that happens to me too. Many of the neuroleptics, especially quetiapine and asenapine, blow cyproheptadine out of the water in terms of drowsiness, despite having much lower binding values to H1. These are seriously sedating drugs. I suppose this stronger sedation must be explained by other activities, like a stronger dopamine blockade, alpha adrenergic antagonism or strong 5ht1a agonism.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I found this in a body building forum

Most, if not all, common antihistamines exert an anticholinergic effect. This can have a slightly negative effect on strength/muscle fiber recruitment and power.

Yeah you're pretty spot on. It's unreal how weak I feel when using cypro. But when it wears off, I feel awesome.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Couldn't tell you. But that happens to me too. Many of the neuroleptics, especially quetiapine and asenapine, blow cyproheptadine out of the water in terms of drowsiness, despite having much lower binding values to H1. These are seriously sedating drugs. I suppose this stronger sedation must be explained by other activities, like a stronger dopamine blockade, alpha adrenergic antagonism or strong 5ht1a agonism.

Hmmmm very interesting.

I have not used any of those you mentioned, and have no desire to. haha.

I am actually gonna do a post on ADENOSINE supplements, prior to sleep.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals