Cyproheptadine + Aspirin Safety?

tara

haidut said:
post 103528 Cyproheptadine can also cause bleeding issues, so I would not use it together with aspirin. Anything that inhibits serotonin will reduce platelet aggregation.

Hi Haidut,
This looks like it is a significant caution - I haven't seen this before. I've taken both within hours at times, though not high doses and not continuously. I bet others have too, give how commonly they are both recommended around here. Care to say more about safety/doses?

Last edited by a moderator:

narouz

In general,
we Peaters tend to take a lot of supplements (foods too, I guess)
towards the goal of inhibiting serotonin.

If it is true that everything that inhibits serotonin also reduces platelet aggregation, then...
many of us likely have very weakly aggregated platelets...wouldn't you think?
:roll:

haidut

Forum Supporter
narouz said:
post 104101 In general,
we Peaters tend to take a lot of supplements (foods too, I guess)
towards the goal of inhibiting serotonin.

If it is true that everything that inhibits serotonin also reduces platelet aggregation, then...
many of us likely have very weakly aggregated platelets...wouldn't you think?
:roll:

Yes, and this is usually a desirable goal. This means you are low on serotonin and prostaglandins. Obviously it can be taken to the extreme and thus become detrimental.

haidut

Forum Supporter
tara said:
post 104099
haidut said:
post 103528 Cyproheptadine can also cause bleeding issues, so I would not use it together with aspirin. Anything that inhibits serotonin will reduce platelet aggregation.

Hi Haidut,
This looks like it is a significant caution - I haven't seen this before. I've taken both within hours at times, though not high doses and not continuously. I bet others have too, give how commonly they are both recommended around here. Care to say more about safety/doses?

Something to consider.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24466319
"...Collectively, our data indicate that the antidepressant 5-HT2A antagonists, cyproheptadine and pizotifen do exert antiplatelet and thromboprotective effects, but similar to clopidogrel and EMD 281014, their use may interfere with normal hemostasis."

I have seen other studies as well stating that cyproheptadine is known to prolong bleeding time in rodents so it was not considered optimal for some animal models such as hemorrhaging shock.

hi ,I've been prescribed 75 mg clopidogrel and low dose aspirin after heart attack ,have read about bleeding problems and some law suits in US regarding both these meds , I some cases causing death.In the link am I understanding correctly that cyprohepadine works similar to clopidogrel,if so could I use that instead (I understand taking these together is the problem) :shock:

OP
T

tara

Thanks Haidut,

haidut said:
post 104135
"...Collectively, our data indicate that the antidepressant 5-HT2A antagonists, cyproheptadine and pizotifen do exert antiplatelet and thromboprotective effects, but similar to clopidogrel and EMD 281014, their use may interfere with normal hemostasis."

I've been wondering how pizotifen is supposed to work. I've been taking it for the last few months on prescription as an attempt at migraine prophylaxis. I think it has been widely used for this purpose for many years. My superficial search threw up some reference to anti-serotonin action, but I think I also found some contradictory descriptions too.

I'm afraid I don't have a grasp of the various receptor agonist and antagonist relationships, but I gather this is saying that pizotifen is known to have some effects similar to cyproheptadine. I wonder how many of the other effects are similar, and whether there are different disadvantages of pizotifen. I gather from the above that it is probably good if I don't take up heavy aspirin use at the same time (not that I was planning to). I'm currently trying to remember to take about 100mg aspirin daily.
I used to bruise easily, and that stopped some time after I began implementing some of Peat's ideas - my guess is it was the vit-K2, but I changed lots of things. The excessive bruising has not recurred, so I guess that's a good sign that I'm not causing bleeding problems with the pizotifen.

Like the other migraine prophylactics I've been prescribed over the years, I have not had any reduction in migraine frequency since starting the pizotifen, (I may be recovering more quickly from them on average). Unlike any of the other migraine prophylaxis drugs I've tried in the past, however, I'm not aware of experiencing any negative side effects. It does not seem to make me as drowsy as cyproheptadine, at least at the doses I've used so far (my memory is a bit hazy on how it was when I started taking a little and then ramped it up). I'm a bit concerned that I might now be dependent on them, and would probably suffer if I stopped. I'm taking 2 x 0.5mg pizotifen. The dr would probably give me more if I wanted. 3 x 0.5 is common, and some people take twice that. If it's actions are very similar to cyproheptadine, maybe I should try taking more of it. I can't get cyproheptadine with or without prescription locally, because no-one is supplying it here lately (managed to get some by a round-about route, but it's not one I can rely on long-term).

haidut

Forum Supporter
tara said:
post 104171 Thanks Haidut,

haidut said:
post 104135

I've been wondering how pizotifen is supposed to work. I've been taking it for the last few months on prescription as an attempt at migraine prophylaxis. I think it has been widely used for this purpose for many years. My superficial search threw up some reference to anti-serotonin action, but I think I also found some contradictory descriptions too.

I'm afraid I don't have a grasp of the various receptor agonist and antagonist relationships, but I gather this is saying that pizotifen is known to have some effects similar to cyproheptadine. I wonder how many of the other effects are similar, and whether there are different disadvantages of pizotifen. I gather from the above that it is probably good if I don't take up heavy aspirin use at the same time (not that I was planning to). I'm currently trying to remember to take about 100mg aspirin daily.
I used to bruise easily, and that stopped some time after I began implementing some of Peat's ideas - my guess is it was the vit-K2, but I changed lots of things. The excessive bruising has not recurred, so I guess that's a good sign that I'm not causing bleeding problems with the pizotifen.

Like the other migraine prophylactics I've been prescribed over the years, I have not had any reduction in migraine frequency since starting the pizotifen, (I may be recovering more quickly from them on average). Unlike any of the other migraine prophylaxis drugs I've tried in the past, however, I'm not aware of experiencing any negative side effects. It does not seem to make me as drowsy as cyproheptadine, at least at the doses I've used so far (my memory is a bit hazy on how it was when I started taking a little and then ramped it up). I'm a bit concerned that I might now be dependent on them, and would probably suffer if I stopped. I'm taking 2 x 0.5mg pizotifen. The dr would probably give me more if I wanted. 3 x 0.5 is common, and some people take twice that. If it's actions are very similar to cyproheptadine, maybe I should try taking more of it. I can't get cyproheptadine with or without prescription locally, because no-one is supplying it here lately (managed to get some by a round-about route, but it's not one I can rely on long-term).

The study says that both drugs have effect on hemostatic activity, which includes clotting and thrombosis. Vitamin K1 is the classic example of a hemostatic agent. I think cyproheptadine is a safer drug than pitozifen. It is one of the few drugs approved for use in toddlers under the age of 2 in European countries. It is also well studied for migraine and I can post some studies on that if needed.

OP
T

tara

haidut said:
post 104182 The study says that both drugs have effect on hemostatic activity, which includes clotting and thrombosis. Vitamin K1 is the classic example of a hemostatic agent. I think cyproheptadine is a safer drug than pitozifen. It is one of the few drugs approved for use in toddlers under the age of 2 in European countries. It is also well studied for migraine and I can post some studies on that if needed.

Yes please, if you have time to point me to some relevant studies, I'd appreciate it. I don;t have enough relevant background to easitluy pick out which studies are relevant and well done.
I'm assuming the reason that cyproheptadine is no longer available here is because there is not enough profit in it, maybe because the drs have been persuaded to use more expensive drugs.

haidut

Forum Supporter
tara said:
post 104253
haidut said:
post 104182 The study says that both drugs have effect on hemostatic activity, which includes clotting and thrombosis. Vitamin K1 is the classic example of a hemostatic agent. I think cyproheptadine is a safer drug than pitozifen. It is one of the few drugs approved for use in toddlers under the age of 2 in European countries. It is also well studied for migraine and I can post some studies on that if needed.

Yes please, if you have time to point me to some relevant studies, I'd appreciate it. I don;t have enough relevant background to easitluy pick out which studies are relevant and well done.
I'm assuming the reason that cyproheptadine is no longer available here is because there is not enough profit in it, maybe because the drs have been persuaded to use more expensive drugs.

In the last 5 years Big Pharma has realized that inhibiting peripheral serotonin can be a blockbuster drug for obesity and are frantically working on some prototypes. A combination of cyproheptadine and a safe dopamine agonist like bromocriptine can decimate any obesity drug in the pipeline given that bromocriptine has already been shown to be effective for diabetes (and even obesity) and is approved for that used in the US.
They fear that cyproheptadine (or cyproheptadine + bromo / lisuride / caber) will seriously cut into profit given how cheap it is and how extensively it has been used since the 1960 without major side effects even in children. As such, there is a plan to phase out cyproheptadine out of the list of officially approved drugs in the US ny 2016, so a US doctor will not be able to easily obtain and prescribe it. I guess a doctor can still write a prescription for it but if it is unavailable it means getting it from abroad and FDA/Customs can crack down on that easily.

OP
T

tara

haidut said:
post 104262 I guess a doctor can still write a prescription for it but if it is unavailable it means getting it from abroad and FDA/Customs can crack down on that easily.
That seems to be the situation here. Wouldn't even need a script, but no one is selling it, and the suppliers I've tried overseas so far won't ship here.

Peata

haidut said:
post 104135
tara said:
post 104099
haidut said:

Hi Haidut,

Something to consider.

I have seen other studies as well stating that cyproheptadine is known to prolong bleeding time in rodents so it was not considered optimal for some animal models such as hemorrhaging shock.

Do you know if there is any problem with taking cyproheptadine + taurine?

I've been taking the both of them together. The taurine mostly to see if it helps weight loss (taking around 3 g. day now). And I take around 12 mg. Cypro. These are divided doses of both of them through the day.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
post 119665
haidut said:
post 104135
tara said:
post 104099
haidut said:

Hi Haidut,

Something to consider.

I've been taking the both of them together. The taurine mostly to see if it helps weight loss (taking around 3 g. day now). And I take around 12 mg. Cypro. These are divided doses of both of them through the day.

Never seen anything to imply it is not safe. However, since both of them sedate people I'd use at night. You don't want to get groggy on the road or at work.

Peata

haidut said:
post 119667
Peata said:
post 119665
haidut said:
post 104135
tara said:
post 104099
haidut said:

Hi Haidut,

Something to consider.

Never seen anything to imply it is not safe. However, since both of them sedate people I'd use at night. You don't want to get groggy on the road or at work.

OK, I wasn't sure if there was too much "overlap" in what they do, whether there could be some blood thinning effect or to do with neurotransmitters.

Thanks.

Steveig84

I normally take asprin daily 125mg 2-3 times a day, if i want to us Cypro as a sleep aid at night at about 2mg how long do they need to be a part? do i need to skip asprin commpletly the days i want to use cypro?

charmer

Cypro is associated with weightgain, not sure if its just through increaed appetite. I used to go through a phase where i had 0 appetute and food made me nauscious, and cypro really helped me eat.

tomisonbottom

Did the taurine help with weight?

Peata

Did the taurine help with weight?

No, but that's probably just me since nothing much has actually helped with weight for the last couple years. I've changed diet and supplements in the last month, and have lost about 4#. But in the past it always comes back no matter what, so I can't say if this is going to stick until more time has passed.

Pointless

Have you tried lowering cyproheptadine dose to .5 mg? That stuff makes me balloon like crazy.

Pointless

How long did you try it? Were you trying to lose weight at the time?

I was on 2 mg twice a day, and I gained 20 pounds in a month. Some of it fast. I've lost since going to half that dose. I was not trying to lose weight. I was trying to eat a lot.