Cyproheptadine And Photosensitivity

Trudy Ann

Hi All, I live in Australia and like to get outdoors in the morning am light. I have noticed though lately my skin feels more sensitive and I am wondering what your thoughts are on sun exposure and using cyproheptadine....(there are lots of other meds too that increase photosensitivity like antidepressants, antivirals, St Johns Wort etc)

Recently I had a skin check up and was diagnosed with a skin cancer. One was a BCC and the other was a squamous

I love the Sun and if I had to choose I would always choose it over taking drugs....

What are your thoughts?

After doing 3 months long PUFA depletion I became sunburn resistant. I can spend hours not even getting red. I live 600 km from the ecuator

OP
Trudy Ann

Trudy Ann

Yes I saw that this morning. I am on 2 meds and both induce photosensitivity :(

Now to make a decision on what to do.... . Maybe I just change over from Cyproheptadine and just do aspirin only. I think the benefits from the Sun far outweigh the meds......

OP
Trudy Ann

Trudy Ann

After doing 3 months long PUFA depletion I became sunburn resistant. I can spend hours not even getting red. I live 600 km from the ecuator
You are located in a way better position to the Sun than me... but still I have noticed that my skin is not tolerating much sun since introducing cyproheptadine... it’s a catch 22 cause I have liked taking the cyproheptadine and have noticed my body seems more calm on it.... but the Sun is important too:)

Just find your threshold. Even if cyproheptadine can cause photosensitivity it doesn't mean it absolutely will. Start with some 10 minutes or less and work it up not letting yourself get burned even slightly. I was sunbathing 1-2 hours during doxy and minocycline treatments. Tetracycline class is know to cause photosensitivity. It didn't for me.

SOMO

Cyproheptadine should be taken at night anyway because it makes you drowsy.
MB is also a photosensitizer, as is Vitamin A.

I speculate photosensitizers increase the rate of sunburn from moderate exposure but...
someone should ask RP if Photosensitizing chemicals increase the rate at which Vitamin D is produced from sun exposure.

Scenes

B2 is known for this too. I got burnt real easy while using just 20mg per day every day.

Ray has said it can easily lead to an increased risk of burning and wrinkles.

Bogdar

Wait, cypro is a photosensitive inducer? Why is it not even specified here? Or on haidut's thread of his idealabs cyproheptadin product, maybe I missed a line?
Could that explain why my eyes became way more sensitive to light changes and bright light?

Scenes

Another commenter had said that B2 causes photosensitivity, which is what I was curious of sources

In an email from Peat on B2:
‘Too much causes a sensitivity to light, but doses in the 10-20mg range should be fine’.

Nathan Hatch wrote recently that B2 actually should be used before sunlight/redlight as the irradiation of riboflavin strongly promotes the kynurenine pathway from tryptophan to NAD.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals