Cyproheptadine: "An Optimal Dose Of 80 Mg/day"

cjm

Carcinoid myopathy and treatment with cyproheptadine (Periactin)

"Vroom, Brown, Dempsey, Richardson Hill (1962) reported the beneficial effects of cyproheptadine, using an optimal dose of 80 mg/day, in controlling diarrhea and improving well being."

The dose in the linked study was 16 - 32 mg/day, which was the highest I had heard until I actually read the study. Would love access to the 80/mg study if anyone has it. Link below.

Studies on Several Possible Antiserotonin Compounds in a Patient with the Functioning Carcinoid Syndrome

Kartoffel

Kartoffel

Seems like cypro is really the way to go when you have carcinoid snydrome

upload_2019-3-17_19-5-17.jpeg

Kartoffel

As I said, it does increase appetite but I haven't seen anything suggesting a linear relationship above a certain dosage - i.e. 80mg might not induce more increased appetite/weight gain than 4-10mg.

aguilaroja

"While both chlorpromazine and cyproheptadine were clinically effective, cyproheptadine, administered for more than one year, effected a more marked reversal of clinical symptomatology."

It is interesting that another early anti-histamine, chlorpheniramine, did not relieve diarrhea in the case report. This suggests that the strong anti-cholinergic effects of first generation anti-histamines do not relieve the diarrhea of serotonin excess. It may be only the anti-histamines with anti-serotonin action, like cyproheptadine, provide relief.

pubh12

Forum Supporter
"While both chlorpromazine and cyproheptadine were clinically effective, cyproheptadine, administered for more than one year, effected a more marked reversal of clinical symptomatology."

It is interesting that another early anti-histamine, chlorpheniramine, did not relieve diarrhea in the case report. This suggests that the strong anti-cholinergic effects of first generation anti-histamines do not relieve the diarrhea of serotonin excess. It may be only the anti-histamines with anti-serotonin action, like cyproheptadine, provide relief.
If one were having severe wheezing and breathing issues that have been persisting 24/7 for a year and they were being caused by carcinoid syndrome (I’ve had a lung one) , would I need to take that high a dose for a year (30-120 like the image above says) just to bring the breathing back to normal? Or could there a be a single dose that would make the breathing better for a brief period so maybe id know better if it were serotonin overload causing my breathing issues since I can’t get the blood test. I doubt it’s histamine related since no allergy meds work, and no inhalers or steroids either.

I’m going to make a bigger post of all the things I tried and suspect (which is why I made this account yesterday) but with MAOA homozygous mutation and serotonin syndrome type symptoms I feel like it could be serotonin overload. I have cypro and tried around 20mg the most which didn’t really help and I’ve been taking it steady for a couple weeks at lesser doses. No improvement in breathing thus far but no improvement in other issues like muscle fasciculations, weakness, etc either. So I’m thinking maybe I need more for it to help.

pubh12

Forum Supporter

View attachment 12564
@haidut do you know if there is a risk to going 120mg of cypro to see if it helps my wheezing and breathing issues that I think might be related to carcinoid syndrome ? I’ve gotten up to 40mg before but not much difference in breathing although it was just for a day.