superhuman

Charlie: thats great, what have you noticed since you started taking it ? and how much are you taking etc etc?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Charlie said:
Has anyone tried a combo of cyproheptadine and ondansetron?

Charlie, I have combined them and continue to do so. Before doing so I asked a pharmacist at my local CVS about safety and he said (with an expression on his face "how did you think of that?!") that combining them was a very innovative way to achieve stronger effects while keeping dosage low. He said taking them separate would require higher dosage of either drug.
My regular dosage is 4mg ondansetron and 4mg cypro. If I have stomach issues and decide to raise the dosage I only bump up the cypro and keep ondansetron at 4mg. Anything more than 4mg of ondansetron gives me major constipation so I get worried about endotoxin from the reduced bowel emptying.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
superhuman said:
Charlie: thats great, what have you noticed since you started taking it ? and how much are you taking etc etc?
Better sleep, less reactions to foods. It seems like it will speed up the process of getting better. :mrgreen: YMMV. :)

I am taking 4 mg a day right but I worked up to that. If I take it at night it messes with my sleep, go figure. So I start taking it in the morning and finish by 2pm.
haidut said:
Charlie, I have combined them and continue to do so. Before doing so I asked a pharmacist at my local CVS about safety and he said (with an expression on his face "how did you think of that?!") that combining them was a very innovative way to achieve stronger effects while keeping dosage low. He said taking them separate would require higher dosage of either drug.
My regular dosage is 4mg ondansetron and 4mg cypro. If I have stomach issues and decide to raise the dosage I only bump up the cypro and keep ondansetron at 4mg. Anything more than 4mg of ondansetron gives me major constipation so I get worried about endotoxin from the reduced bowel emptying.
I tried ondansetron .25 mgs a couple times. It gave me a headache once, and it constipates me. Cascara is pretty amazing stuff though. :lol: I might try microdosing the ondansetron and see what happens.

jyb

@Charlie: had a similar experience with ondansetron so couldn't use it really. But I wonder if the headache could be due to just ingredients? All version of ondansetron I had found had nasty ones, in comparison the cypro I have is super clean.

PS. Anyone know the mechanism by which some medication lower blood sugar? Or is it just because the liver works more. In that case I wonder if it makes sense not to take medication less than 2hr before bed. It can take a whole hour for medication to get processed. Also, I'd love to know what happens to the half-life of a drug with several intakes: for example if a drug has half-life T and you take one unit at time A and then later one at time B, then does it still hold that the half-life of the first unit is A+T and the second B+T? Basically wonder if continuously taking a drug throughout the day can have a cumulative effect on the half-life.

jyb

Suppression of Human Growth Hormone Secretion by Melatonin and Cyproheptadine

Interestingly there is an effect with only a relatively small dose (8-12mg - although that can be far much and uncomfortable if the normal 4mg dose of cypro makes you drowsy) and a week.

Note also how melatonin is thought to reduce GH too.

At the moment I can take 8mg during the day easily without any sedating effect. I think that when I started, it would have been too sedating. Again, I wonder what this tells me as a diagnostic; if I can take a massive amount of cypro and feel good but not sedated, does that mean that my serotonin was high, or does it just mean that my body more insensitive to it?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
jyb said:
PS. Anyone know the mechanism by which some medication lower blood sugar? Or is it just because the liver works more. In that case I wonder if it makes sense not to take medication less than 2hr before bed. It can take a whole hour for medication to get processed. Also, I'd love to know what happens to the half-life of a drug with several intakes: for example if a drug has half-life T and you take one unit at time A and then later one at time B, then does it still hold that the half-life of the first unit is A+T and the second B+T? Basically wonder if continuously taking a drug throughout the day can have a cumulative effect on the half-life.
I think you just answered my question as to why the second half of my sleep is disturbed if I take cyproheptadine at night. It lowers my blood sugar too much causing my liver to stress. So I have to take my cyproheptadine in the daytime.

jyb said:
At the moment I can take 8mg during the day easily without any sedating effect. I think that when I started, it would have been too sedating. Again, I wonder what this tells me as a diagnostic; if I can take a massive amount of cypro and feel good but not sedated, does that mean that my serotonin was high, or does it just mean that my body more insensitive to it?
Good questions.

jyb

Charlie said:
I think you just answered my question as to why the second half of my sleep is disturbed if I take cyproheptadine at night. It lowers my blood sugar too much causing my liver to stress. So I have to take my cyproheptadine in the daytime.

How do you know its due to that? There could be many other explanations, eg cypro killing serotonin to the point you don't have the minimal melatonin needed to induce sleep. Also, I've read that cypro doesn't lower blood sugar as much as some other medications. However if you do feel stressed, then maybe its related to blood sugar. Personally, I didn't notice any stress, in general (without cypro) I've had plenty of hardcore insomnia that were not fixed with plenty sugar throughout the night.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
jyb said:
How do you know its due to that?
I don't know. I said "I think" so it wasn't a solid hypothesis I am ready to settle on.

BingDing

aquaman

Charlie said:
It helps break the cycle of histamine, estrogen, serotonin, etc..... giving the body a chance to heal.

YOu can notice the positive effects Charlie?

Edit --> I saw your response above!

5magicbeans

Where is everyone getting the Cyproheptadine? I've looked at a few sources but not sure which are trustworthy. I would greatly appreciate any info.!

iLoveSugar

I had my MD write a script. I told him it helped my Dad out which was obviously just a selling part on my end.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Cyproheptadine can be purchased under the name periactin through mymexicanpharmacy.com. I have not purchased from them yet because I was able to get a script from a nurse practitioner at work. I did want to post this info if it could help anyone out.

Ben

Blossom said:
Cyproheptadine can be purchased under the name periactin through mymexicanpharmacy.com. I have not purchased from them yet because I was able to get a script from a nurse practitioner at work. I did want to post this info if it could help anyone out.
Do you need to provide a script for them to buy it?

answersfound

why is this medication getting so much hype?! it's really not that great lol, im prescribed it and i havent rly noticed much from it. no effect on mood really.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
No script is required to ship to U.S. I'm not sure of the regulations for other countries. It was a wonder drug for me indeed but I also had high gut serotonin indicating a carcinoid tumor for which it is used even in the mainstream as a treatment. So it is probably just another example of one's context as the determining factor in a positive or negative experience one has with any supplement. I will be happy to go without it when the time is right.

aquaman

Note:

I took 2mg of Cypro near bed last night (around 9pm), then chewed up an extra 1mg at 10pm, and was soon drifting off to sleep while watching a movie (which normally NEVER happens, when there is still visual stimulation I never fall asleep).

In the end slept from 11pm-10am with one wakeup at 7am for the toilet.

I haven't slept through the night in years, so the first patch of sleep through to 7am is something, and falling back asleep in a few minutes at that time is rare.

I feel groggy today, but it may be that a general lack of sleep for the last 2 weeks, followed by a long sleep, has an influence.

One thing, I also took around 5 grams of eggshell powder yesterday, and the same on Tuesday night, when I also slept deeper and longer than normal with no other supplement.

I'll test the effects of eggshell calcium again soon!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
lookingforanswers said:
why is this medication getting so much hype?! it's really not that great lol, im prescribed it and i havent rly noticed much from it. no effect on mood really.

Did you look at all the studies I posted? Can you find another "drug" that has similar track record of benefits? If you find one it's probably going to be aspirin and that's it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals