Brian

Coldhandsandfeet said:
not really. i can't really handle caffeine right now so that's not an option. i've used vitamin B6, but the side effects make me a bit nervous.

I'm kinda just dealing with the low mood for now. i can't take dopergin because it makes me constipated.

i'm just sleeping and eating right now to heal

There's also pramipexole, bromocriptine, and cabergoline to consider. My experience was that none of the dopamine agonists did anything very noticeable until my serotonin was beat into submission. Low dose cypro wasn't enough for me either. I had to go to 12mg per day for awhile as well. So you might be in a good position for some dopamine agonists after awhile of that much cypro.

Brian said:
post 103772
Coldhandsandfeet said:
not really. i can't really handle caffeine right now so that's not an option. i've used vitamin B6, but the side effects make me a bit nervous.

I'm kinda just dealing with the low mood for now. i can't take dopergin because it makes me constipated.

There's also pramipexole, bromocriptine, and cabergoline to consider. My experience was that none of the dopamine agonists did anything very noticeable until my serotonin was beat into submission. Low dose cypro wasn't enough for me either. I had to go to 12mg per day for awhile as well. So you might be in a good position for some dopamine agonists after awhile of that much cypro.

did you take cypro until your temps came up to 98.6 ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian

Coldhandsandfeet said:
Brian said:
post 103772
Coldhandsandfeet said:

did you take cypro until your temps came up to 98.6 ?

I don't really pay attention to my temperature much, maybe I should, but pulse and digestion are the signs I pay attention to. Really good bowel movements, and a pulse around 90BPM, with a feeling of wellbeing are what I associate with low serotonin, high dopamine--so I just go by that.

My strategy was to take cypro at a dose that gave me excellent digestion and a good pulse, while doing a variety of lifestyle, diet, and supplement things to raise dopamine and lower cortisol. Then taper off cypro after a solid few weeks of feeling stable high dopamine.

I'm not a very good experimenter, because I always do multiple things at once. I think lifestyle had a very big part in getting my serotonin/dopamine ratios fixed.

Dean

In terms of raising dopamine, I've tried 75 and 150 mg doses of mucuna and haven't noticed anything. Maybe the effect is supposed to be cumulative. It looks like though, from some research, that mucuna hasn't proven very effective at all at producing dopamine in the brain.

What is the recommended mix of tyrosine and bcaa's? Something like 2g tyrosine/ 5 g bcaa's? Would that be once a day, and on an empty stomach, I presume? I wonder if there is any reason I couldn't combine this with the mucuna to see if I get anywhere. If not, I suppose I'll have to try and track down some lisuride, that's the only pharma dopamine agonist that looks at all appealing to me as a possibility.

FredSonoma

Could anyone send me a PM of a good source of cypro? Should I just try to get a prescription from a doctor?

answersfound

FredSonoma said:
post 103940 Could anyone send me a PM of a good source of cypro? Should I just try to get a prescription from a doctor?

pm'ed you

FredSonoma

Does the tiredness go away eventually because of tolerance? Or is it because the lowering of stress hormones is revealing a tired body that needs rest, and that is why it gets better over time?

answersfound

FredSonoma said:
post 104949 Does the tiredness go away eventually because of tolerance? Or is it because the lowering of stress hormones is revealing a tired body that needs rest, and that is why it gets better over time?

yes. it gets better. but it's also revealing a slow metabolism, so it's important to use thyroid or thyroid surrogates like caffeine to restore metabolism and the fatigue won't be as severe.

Giraffe

haidut said:
post 30214
Do you think Mirtazapine can be compared with Cyproheptadine? It's probably not as versatile but nevertheless it's anti-histaminergic, an appetite stimulant, and HT3 receptor antagonist like Ondansetron.
Sure, I've taken it and got some very good results for the issue I had. I saw some studies comparing Mirtazapine and Cyproheptadine on PubMed and the effects were similar. Just search PubMed for both and you'll get some results.
Haidut, do you know how Mirtazapine and Cyproheptadine compare as to dosage? Does Mirtazapine at doses of 15-30 mg have a different effect/mechanism than at lower doses?

Does this question make sense? Some here reported that Mirtazapine knocks them out for 12-14 hours at low doses, while others used high doses with less side-effects (day time drowsiness).

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Giraffe said:
post 108778
haidut said:
post 30214
Do you think Mirtazapine can be compared with Cyproheptadine? It's probably not as versatile but nevertheless it's anti-histaminergic, an appetite stimulant, and HT3 receptor antagonist like Ondansetron.
Sure, I've taken it and got some very good results for the issue I had. I saw some studies comparing Mirtazapine and Cyproheptadine on PubMed and the effects were similar. Just search PubMed for both and you'll get some results.
Haidut, do you know how Mirtazapine and Cyproheptadine compare as to dosage? Does Mirtazapine at doses of 15-30 mg have a different effect/mechanism than at lower doses?

Does this question make sense? Some here reported that Mirtazapine knocks them out for 12-14 hours at low doses, while others used high doses with less side-effects (day time drowsiness).

The two drugs are pretty similar as far as their effect on histamine and serotonin, except that mirtazapine has more action on the 5-HT3 "receptor" and thus tends to be more constipating than cypro. I think 4mg cypro is comparable to 15mg mirtazapine and both cause similar sedation. In addition, mirtazapine lacks the anti-cholinergic effects of cyproheptadine and that makes (in theory at least) cyproheptadine a better drug for brain conditions like Alzheimers.
Mirtazapine is just a modified mianserin and all of the *serin drugs were developed as an alternatives to cyproheptadine with more specific anti-serotonin effects.

I keep getting strange reactions to antibiotics, heparin, and recently to cyproheptadine. I have a suspicion that I might have bartonella infection because I was bitten by unknown insects 2 times, and after those events nothing went right about my health. Do you know if cyproheptadine could have antibacterial/biofilm removing effects? Whenever I take cyproheptadine, I feel a slight burning around my liver area which made me think of whether it could be from killing large amount of bacteria since not too many people are experiencing liver side effects from cyproheptadine. I also read some articles mentioning the use of antihistamines to treat lyme disease, but I am not sure if cyproheptadine works the same way.

velo

I read through the whole thread, great information.. But would anyone care to speculate with regards to using benadryl and low dose cypro together? I am dealing with very high adrenaline\stress response and benadryl helps me fall asleep, while cypro makes me stay asleep. When I tried cypro I lied in bed with pounding heart beat for three hours until 1 am, but when I eventually fell asleep I slept 13 hours. Same thing was repeated the next night. So it does seem it lowers my stress response but doesn't affect adrenaline directly in the same way benadryl seems to. I took 4 and 6 mg.

I thought about Valium and cypro together for these situations but diazapem is not peat approved.. any ideas regarding taking benadryl and cypro together?

Peata

velo said:
post 112925 I read through the whole thread, great information.. But would anyone care to speculate with regards to using benadryl and low dose cypro together? I am dealing with very high adrenaline\stress response and benadryl helps me fall asleep, while cypro makes me stay asleep. When I tried cypro I lied in bed with pounding heart beat for three hours until 1 am, but when I eventually fell asleep I slept 13 hours. Same thing was repeated the next night. So it does seem it lowers my stress response but doesn't affect adrenaline directly in the same way benadryl seems to. I took 4 and 6 mg.

I thought about Valium and cypro together for these situations but diazapem is not peat approved.. any ideas regarding taking benadryl and cypro together?

I can't advise, I only can say that I have taken small amounts of antihistamines with Cypro without problem. Cypro does not help my allergies for some reason, so if they are acting up bad when I'm on Cypro, I have taken little bits of Benadryl. Likewise, if I've had stomach symptoms, I've taken small amounts of Dramamine (which is basically Benadryl + something like caffeine). But everyone is different in how things will affect them.

TheHound

getting out of bed in the morning is the most difficult thing in the world when using cyproheptadine lol

Peata

I got my latest Rx filled yesterday. Without insurance, it would cost me more than $80 :shock: (this is written as 4 mg pill taken 4 x day for one month, though I don't take that much daily) Thankfully, I only pay $5 month. You would think an older antihistamine would not be so expensive even if it is available only by prescription in the US.

tomisonbottom

Fetch, thanks for the thoughts. Congrats on your results with cypro. too. I can see where you are coming from on the results. I caught a glimpse of what reducing learned helplessness could do for my lack of proactivity. Unfortunately, the depression/despair was just too overwhelming. I did ramp up my dosage (the first time I tried it) to near your levels very quickly in hopes of pushing through the negative effects, but it just got worse. I wouldn't have survived a few months of being in that state.

As for your three points, I'm not smart enough to theorize on their validity. I've just begun experimenting with hormones (progesterone, pregnenolone, DHEA); so, maybe how I react to them will be another piece in the bizarre puzzle that is my existence. I can say though that my metabolism is extremely low and has been throughout my nearly 50 years, so perhaps that and/or low dopamine were the reasons cypro sent me into such depths.

Did you ever try bromocriptine along with the cypro? I wonder if that would have alleviated the problem.

forterpride

Could my mother use this permanently as a sleeping aid to replace her seroquel? (prescribed for sleep). She cannot live without a nightly sleeping pill. It would be a permanent thing if possible.

reddlee

After three months of thyroid, aspirin, and otherwise clean Peating, I've still got irritable guts. Have decided to try cypro. Could someone please PM me with source suggestions?

I bought some from Alldaychemist.com, very reasonable prices and they delivered in 2 weeks, which isn't great but isn't terrible.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals