Cyproheptadine: a psychopharmacological treasure trove?

Lokzo

Forum Supporter

Cyproheptadine: a psychopharmacological treasure trove?​

Bassem Badr 1, Ahmed Naguy 2
Affiliations expand

Abstract​

Cyproheptadine has a unique pharmacologic portfolio that speaks to the idea of a pluripotent molecule beyond an antiallergic agent which can expand its therapeutic potential to address a multitude of psychiatric indications. Here, authors touch on the topic with focused literature review of extant evidence.

Full article here: https://www.cambridge.org/core/serv...-psychopharmacological-treasure-trove-div.pdf

Laurence

Great to see more interest in this, thanks for posting.

Cyproheptadine has transformed my sleep with no apparent downsides (0.5mg about 4 times per week). The article mentions tachyphylaxis as early as 3 days for insomnia treatment but this may be dose dependant.

The increase in slow wave sleep is of interest to me as I'm APOE3/4. Wish there were studies on low doses.

"The 5-HT2 receptor antagonist cyproheptadine significantly increased slow wave sleep in 12 healthy control subjects" (4mg before bed)
"Glymphatic clearance mainly occurs in slow-wave sleep"
Slow Wave Sleep Is a Promising Intervention Target for Alzheimer’s Disease

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Great to see more interest in this, thanks for posting.

Cyproheptadine has transformed my sleep with no apparent downsides (0.5mg about 4 times per week). The article mentions tachyphylaxis as early as 3 days for insomnia treatment but this may be dose dependant.

The increase in slow wave sleep is of interest to me as I'm APOE3/4. Wish there were studies on low doses.

"The 5-HT2 receptor antagonist cyproheptadine significantly increased slow wave sleep in 12 healthy control subjects" (4mg before bed)
"Glymphatic clearance mainly occurs in slow-wave sleep"
Slow Wave Sleep Is a Promising Intervention Target for Alzheimer’s Disease

Great studies, thanks for sharing.

Ah so you're using 0.5mg that often?! Wow, you must hungry all the time?!

Did it alter your libido at all?

equipoise

Very meh experience with cypro. I don't like it at all! I had much better success with high calcium diet in regards to my pollen allergies (2L/half a gallon of milk) and megadosing of niacinamide and aspirin at times (don't do it anymore) than I had with cypro.

The thing is, new generations of antihistamines will get rid of allergic reaction for me, whilst barely sedating me. Cypro on the otherhand definitely messes up with prolactin in my case and straight up makes me anhedonic even from <0,5mg doses.

I understand Cypro is very valuable to patients with severe metabolic problems but I have no use for it. A dose of Cypro brings up heavy anhedonia / pseudo depression for a day or two. I see no point in trying to gather up tolerance because it's pretty unnecessary for me, and the serotonin rebound is nasty.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Very meh experience with cypro. I don't like it at all! I had much better success with high calcium diet in regards to my pollen allergies (2L/half a gallon of milk) and megadosing of niacinamide and aspirin at times (don't do it anymore) than I had with cypro.

The thing is, new generations of antihistamines will get rid of allergic reaction for me, whilst barely sedating me. Cypro on the otherhand definitely messes up with prolactin in my case and straight up makes me anhedonic even from <0,5mg doses.

I understand Cypro is very valuable to patients with severe metabolic problems but I have no use for it. A dose of Cypro brings up heavy anhedonia / pseudo depression for a day or two. I see no point in trying to gather up tolerance because it's pretty unnecessary for me, and the serotonin rebound is nasty.

Sick username btw dude.

Yeah me too man, a single dose of cypro even as little as 0.5mg can destroy my ability to feel pleasure for up to 3 days.

It makes me hungry and emotionless. Makes me ultra focused and able to work though.

What's interesting that you mention is the serotonin rebound... Because I feel GLORIOUS on the rebound, ALIVE and great.

Laurence

Great studies, thanks for sharing.

Ah so you're using 0.5mg that often?! Wow, you must hungry all the time?!

Did it alter your libido at all?

Yes, 0.5mg, sublingual, 4 hours prior to sleeping averaging 3 times per week over the last 4 months.

There was an initial negative impact on mood during the first 2 weeks, and increased hunger, but I pushed through. Nothing drastic just felt flat, lacking enthusiasm, emotionless as you also indicated.

Now the only repeatable effect I can attribute to it is that it prevents me from waking up at night, even to go to the toilet (unless alcohol is involved) and waking up feeling refreshed, motivated, excited to start the day which is, dare I say it, night and day from before. I've been waiting for this effect to wear off but so far so good!

How long have you tried taking it for?

rr1

Yes, 0.5mg, sublingual, 4 hours prior to sleeping averaging 3 times per week over the last 4 months.

There was an initial negative impact on mood during the first 2 weeks, and increased hunger, but I pushed through. Nothing drastic just felt flat, lacking enthusiasm, emotionless as you also indicated.

Now the only repeatable effect I can attribute to it is that it prevents me from waking up at night, even to go to the toilet (unless alcohol is involved) and waking up feeling refreshed, motivated, excited to start the day which is, dare I say it, night and day from before. I've been waiting for this effect to wear off but so far so good!

How long have you tried taking it for?
I'm not sure which sort of cypro you are using, but i remember reading this a while ago

Serum concentrations after sublingual cyproheptadine are significantly less than after oral administration. At these concentrations, the sublingual route is unlikely to be effective in treating serotonin syndrome.

Yucca

Maybe trying low dose cypro, the same as low dose naltrexone, to get the same kind of rebound you get from LDN, without sides ?

trogers38

Greetings Lokzo, I read many of your posts here and they are really helpful. I’ve recently contracted a moderate case of serotonin syndrome from excessive doses of semax. It was horrible, felt like I gained 40 lbs and my explosiveness in the gym and in my runs was greatly reduced. I noticed today after dosing 1mg of cyproheptadine on my wrist and 4 drops of t3 on my scrotum I felt a little better. I’m gonna try a 3 week cycle of 1mg every night then lower to 0.5mg the 3rd week to decrease the rebound. Also taking serotonin antagonists supplements like shilajit, magnesium, l glycine, zinc, creatine, tribulus Terrestris, Tongkat. I’ll tell you guys how it goes.

CalmAmygdala

Greetings Lokzo, I read many of your posts here and they are really helpful. I’ve recently contracted a moderate case of serotonin syndrome from excessive doses of semax. It was horrible, felt like I gained 40 lbs and my explosiveness in the gym and in my runs was greatly reduced. I noticed today after dosing 1mg of cyproheptadine on my wrist and 4 drops of t3 on my scrotum I felt a little better. I’m gonna try a 3 week cycle of 1mg every night then lower to 0.5mg the 3rd week to decrease the rebound. Also taking serotonin antagonists supplements like shilajit, magnesium, l glycine, zinc, creatine, tribulus Terrestris, Tongkat. I’ll tell you guys how it goes.
How would Semax give you serotonin syndrome?

I also get a nasty serotonin rebound from cypro

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom