Cyproheptadine 3mg: Blood Sugar Problems; Feel Like A Zombie

aquaman

I've been taking 1mg of cypro 3-4 nights a week, which helps with sleep and general wellbeing/feeling.

Not had any issues with weight gain or crazy appetite, in fact been losing about 0.5-1 pound per week for about 10 weeks.

Last night, decided to take 3mg to see the effect: I took it earlier in the day, around 6pm, to offset the effect of the raised dose.

I have previously noticed that 1mg will make my fasting blood glucose slightly higher, around 5.8/100 in the morning.

This morning, i feel like all my muscles are super heavy and sluggish, and I am extremely tired and zombie-like. My fasting BG was also 6.8/122 which is diabetic level! Without cypro, it's generally 5.2-5.4 (94-97)

So I will be keeping to 0.5mg or 1mg from now on, and probably only once or twice per week.

Will also test out Metergoline soon to see if it's better/different.

OP
A

aquaman

Update today: no cyproheptadine, Fasting blood glucose 5.5 / 99 this morning. Maybe this is why people put on weight with Cypro, blood sugar dysregulation?

LUH 3417

It makes me feel very hypoglycemic. It gives good anti serotonin effects but some nights I shoot out of bed barely conscious looking for anything to eat.

matisvijs

2 things might be going on if one doesn't respond well to cypro:
1. You could be low/slightly low thyroid and might actually need the extra cortisol to function. Since it artificially lowers cortisol production and if you're not producing enough cellular energy from T3, one might be left into 'no man's land' with no means of producing enough energy. Cortisol is also needed for blood sugar regulation, so forcefully messing with that might explain the ups and downs in blood glucose.
2. It lowers histamine too much or you already have a low histamine status - this is the most likely scenario in situations where it makes one feel groggy/sleepy but unable to actually fall asleep - you're sleepy but can't fall asleep at the same time.

If you're losing weight, then you're ingesting less calories than you need. That is a bad idea when using something like cyproheptadine. When you lose weight, you need to increase the amount of fat in the blood, and the easiest way to to that is calling upon stress hormones. If the stress hormones are blocked AND you are on a caloric deficit, then your body has to tone down on the glucose oxidation, and rely more on fat oxidation. More fat in the blood= more insulin resistance.

OP
A

aquaman

1. You could be low/slightly low thyroid and might actually need the extra cortisol to function. Since it artificially lowers cortisol production and if you're not producing enough cellular energy from T3, one might be left into 'no man's land' with no means of producing enough energy. Cortisol is also needed for blood sugar regulation, so forcefully messing with that might explain the ups and downs in blood glucose.
2. It lowers histamine too much or you already have a low histamine status - this is the most likely scenario in situations where it makes one feel groggy/sleepy but unable to actually fall asleep - you're sleepy but can't fall asleep at the same time.

In general I respond well to it, just I think 1mg is the sweet spot for me. Been taking it for 10 weeks.

Point of the post was to show people you don’t need to take higher doses of substances for good effects!

matisvijs

In general I respond well to it, just I think 1mg is the sweet spot for me. Been taking it for 10 weeks.

Point of the post was to show people you don’t need to take higher doses of substances for good effects!

Yeah, agreed, my post was mainly 'in general' what the most common reasons could be.

OP
A

aquaman

If you're losing weight, then you're ingesting less calories than you need. That is a bad idea when using something like cyproheptadine. When you lose weight, you need to increase the amount of fat in the blood, and the easiest way to to that is calling upon stress hormones. If the stress hormones are blocked AND you are on a caloric deficit, then your body has to tone down on the glucose oxidation, and rely more on fat oxidation. More fat in the blood= more insulin resistance.

No, my insulin / Blood glucose response has been excellent over the weight loss period, and my calories are UP.

Been eating more, smaller meals, with fruit and starch and protein at every meal with small(er) quantities of fat, around 50-60g per day when I plan the meals, most fat in evening. Also been having at least one huge meal per week at a restaurant.

The cypro seems to mildly affect blood glucose at 1mg (although only have a few data points on this), but sleep is better and serotonin/prolactin symptoms are reduced, so I will stick with it. A bit of aspirin/niacinamide/pyrucet in the morning with heavy starch and fruit meals fixes any blood glucose issue.

brix

I've been taking 1mg of cypro 3-4 nights a week, which helps with sleep and general wellbeing/feeling.

Not had any issues with weight gain or crazy appetite, in fact been losing about 0.5-1 pound per week for about 10 weeks.

Last night, decided to take 3mg to see the effect: I took it earlier in the day, around 6pm, to offset the effect of the raised dose.

I have previously noticed that 1mg will make my fasting blood glucose slightly higher, around 5.8/100 in the morning.

This morning, i feel like all my muscles are super heavy and sluggish, and I am extremely tired and zombie-like. My fasting BG was also 6.8/122 which is diabetic level! Without cypro, it's generally 5.2-5.4 (94-97)

So I will be keeping to 0.5mg or 1mg from now on, and probably only once or twice per week.

Will also test out Metergoline soon to see if it's better/different.

How did the Metergoline test go? Interested in trying that out in lieu of cypro.

Oraganic4me

I had all the symptoms you mentioned but not with cypro ... I have been taking right before bed the 10mg famotadine and in the beginning I was fine... but recently (3 weeks use). Feeling tired but can’t fall asleep... and feeling slight shaking like I’m hungry. I just stay in bed until those feelings subside.
The upside is I am a worry wart by nature and I am not dwelling on anything. That’s really strange for me but I like that .. also , I sometimes talk too much.. keeping quiet now with famotadine..
I don’t know .. maybe taking it early in evening maybe better ... I’ll try that

Back
Top Bottom