Cypro & Lowered Pulse

Snowdrop

I used Cyproheptadine for one week. My morning pulse rate after 2 days on 0.5mg decreased from my usual 60 - 65 bpm to 40 bpm!!! It has taken a further 10 days to get it back to 56 bpm.

Can anyone explain the mechanism behind this, please & thank you???

DaveFoster

Thank God, I was hoping it would have this effect. Now I can use it to lower my 180/110 BP and 140 pulse.

You need to raise parasympathetic metabolism.

Take smaller amounts of cyproheptadine to relax you, and then add in thyroid and progesterone until you get warm and hungry.

OP
Snowdrop

Snowdrop

@ecstatichamster my temperatures remained the same. I haven't tried the Cypro again since. Hopefully next time I won't have the severe pulse drop.

@DaveFoster I was taking Cynoplus and progest-e with the Cypro. My appetite did increase. I ate more but maybe not enough?

Perhaps I need to establish a better functioning thyroid first?

Thank you both for your input :happy:

DaveFoster

Peat mentions this in one of his articles: Thyroid: Therapies, Confusion, and Fraud

"An effective way to use supplements is to take a combination T4-T3 dose, e.g., 40 mcg of T4 and 10 mcg of T3 once a day, and to use a few mcg of T3 at other times in the day. Keeping a 14-day chart of pulse rate and temperature allows you to see whether the dose is producing the desired response. If the figures aren't increasing at all after a few days, the dose can be increased, until a gradual daily increment can be seen, moving toward the goal at the rate of about 1/14 per day "

Preventing and treating cancer with progesterone.

"After eating breakfast, the cortisol (and adrenalin, if it stayed high despite the increased cortisol) will start returning to a more normal, lower level, as the blood sugar is sustained by food, instead of by the stress hormones. In some hypothyroid people, this is a good time to measure the temperature and pulse rate. In a normal person, both temperature and pulse rate rise after breakfast, but in very hypothyroid people either, or both, might fall.

Some hypothyroid people have a very slow pulse, apparently because they aren't compensating with a large production of adrenalin. When they eat, the liver's increased production of T3 is likely to increase both their temperature and their pulse rate.

By watching the temperature and pulse rate at different times of day, especially before and after meals, it's possible to separate some of the effects of stress from the thyroid-dependent, relatively “basal” metabolic rate. When beginning to take a thyroid supplement, it's important to keep a chart of these measurements for at least two weeks, since that's roughly the half-life of thyroxine in the body. When the body has accumulated a steady level of the hormones, and begun to function more fully, the factors such as adrenaline that have been chronically distorted to compensate for hypothyroidism will have begun to normalize, and the early effects of the supplementary thyroid will in many cases seem to disappear, with heart rate and temperature declining. The daily dose of thyroid often has to be increased several times, as the state of stress and the adrenaline and cortisol production decrease."

scarlettsmum

Does this mean then that if my temp and pulse were to drop after breakfast, cypro is likely to have the same pulse lowering effect? Or does this happen to everybody on cypro universally? Thanks!