Cypro LOW symptoms for days afterwards

teds

Forum Supporter
Hello all,

Can anyone talk to me about mentally and physically depressed symptoms after taking cypro? I generally take 1mg a few times a year-maybe up to 5x for a really deep sleep. Last few times I’ve taken it, it has taken me DAYS to get over. I took 1mg 43h ago and I’m still feeling so so heavy and almost depressed. Like I’m considering “taking a mental day tomorrow” which is just v v unusual for me. What’s happening here? Is my liver not processing it well? Have I taken my serotonin too low?? Advice and help understanding would be greatly appreciated. 🙏🏻

Morgan

I have some personal experience with cyproheptadine, and it's mostly positive outside of some minor weight gain(even that may be positive). It can slightly flat line my mood, yet not as dramatic as what methylene blue can do to me; I usually take it when I'm experiencing a build up of anxiety, insomnia, or allergies. Whenever I have it I follow up with plenty of coffee and a B vitamin supplement, as well as plenty of calories(makes me insatiably hungry anyways). I suspect it may be down-regulating dopamine as well, hence the sensation of feeling "low". So, I would try upping your caffeine intake if you can, having some eggs if you tolerate them, and maybe taking some extra thiamine.

Cyproheptadine Nutrient Depletion?
Early to Bed, Late to Rise: The Magic of Cyproheptadine | Rowesk
^ I would of course ignore their recommendations on serotonin.

AlaskaJono

Hello all,

Can anyone talk to me about mentally and physically depressed symptoms after taking cypro? I generally take 1mg a few times a year-maybe up to 5x for a really deep sleep. Last few times I’ve taken it, it has taken me DAYS to get over. I took 1mg 43h ago and I’m still feeling so so heavy and almost depressed. Like I’m considering “taking a mental day tomorrow” which is just v v unusual for me. What’s happening here? Is my liver not processing it well? Have I taken my serotonin too low?? Advice and help understanding would be greatly appreciated. 🙏🏻
I also have been careful until 6 months ago with taking cypro mainly for deep sleep effect. Never did I take over 1/2 pill. (My wife takes 1/8 to 1/6 pill at 4mg. ) I always felt slow the next day, and extra coffee can help. I have taken it for 'bad gut' reaction to shitty oil in food at a restaurant. So now I rarely eat out. Maybe as Morgan stated some extra calories, and a brownie! Anyhow, 6 months ago I had what I thought was a severe allergy to some tree pollen at a property we were caretaking for 3 weeks. It was daytime and I took a whole pill. No sleepiness and definitely a reduction of sniffles/Headache/phlegm production/coughing etc.. After taking about 3 pills a day (4mg) for a week, It seemed like the negative effects of just taking a 1/2 pill at night is lessened the next day.

If you can process a few alcohol drinks, or a big serving of ice cream (or other fatty delicious food- smoked salmon), then your liver is probably ok. If not, then yes you may need some liver nutrients/herbs etc..

Years ago on this forum there was talk of this 'high dosing' with cypro for a few days and then go back to your usual small dosage at your own pace. Seems that it was true, for me anyway. See how you go.

JamesGatz

It is not because your "serotonin is too low" - not possible

It crashes your dopamine and choline which in turn will cause your androgens to crash

If you do take it - I think you should be getting a lot of choline in to bring your dopamine/androgens back up however even when I did this I still didn't tolerate cypro because its pretty strong

redsun

Hello all,

Its a very strong depressant to the nervous system. It mainly blocks histamine, acetylcholine, serotonin receptors. Blocking serotonin generally is good for mood but it wont matter when you block histamine and acetylcholine which cypro does very well. This in turn reduces glutamate and dopamine as these neurotransmitters promote their release. Your ability to mentally function and maintain a good mood is going to be severely reduced because of this. This will affect motor function as well that's why you feel heavy.

OP
teds

teds

Forum Supporter
It is not because your "serotonin is too low" - not possible

It crashes your dopamine and choline which in turn will cause your androgens to crash

If you do take it - I think you should be getting a lot of choline in to bring your dopamine/androgens back up however even when I did this I still didn't tolerate cypro because its pretty strong
Oh that’s interesting. I was literally at the gym trying to lift and was so frustrated and low/tired/heavy.. so the androgen crash makes sense.
Yeah I didn’t really think I could lower my serotonin too much ..

Last edited:
OP
teds

teds

Forum Supporter
I have some personal experience with cyproheptadine, and it's mostly positive outside of some minor weight gain(even that may be positive). It can slightly flat line my mood, yet not as dramatic as what methylene blue can do to me; I usually take it when I'm experiencing a build up of anxiety, insomnia, or allergies. Whenever I have it I follow up with plenty of coffee and a B vitamin supplement, as well as plenty of calories(makes me insatiably hungry anyways). I suspect it may be down-regulating dopamine as well, hence the sensation of feeling "low". So, I would try upping your caffeine intake if you can, having some eggs if you tolerate them, and maybe taking some extra thiamine.

Cyproheptadine Nutrient Depletion?
Early to Bed, Late to Rise: The Magic of Cyproheptadine | Rowesk
^ I would of course ignore their recommendations on serotonin.
Thanks yeah I got some advice elsewhere that b vits may need to be more so I got them in. I’ve never felt confident to do the high dose since I’m so dopey the following day on just 1mg. But yeah I’ve seen the comments about high dosing and the effects becoming attenuated. Not sure I need it that often to try this method though.. thanks :)

OP
teds

teds

Forum Supporter
Its a very strong depressant to the nervous system. It mainly blocks histamine, acetylcholine, serotonin receptors. Blocking serotonin generally is good for mood but it wont matter when you block histamine and acetylcholine which cypro does very well. This in turn reduces glutamate and dopamine as these neurotransmitters promote their release. Your ability to mentally function and maintain a good mood is going to be severely reduced because of this. This will affect motor function as well that's why you feel heavy.
Thanks- yeah I guess I was worried that this was two days later and still feeling the effects v heavily. But yes it’s definitely a cns depressor!

InChristAlone

We can't really say it's a super strong CNS depressant, those who overdose seem to experience more of the anticholinergic side effects such as overheating and tachycardia rather than the depressant actions like the barbiturates, morphine and antipsychotics. I tend to think using small doses seem to be more powerfully sedative than higher doses, I am not sure why. It does lower cortisol so if you usually are operating in some state of adrenal burnout then it could reveal how badly that is going. And sometimes that is a good thing as a kind of reset to let you know you need to slow down in life, take more breaks, meditate more, feed yourself well, deal with any toxic things in your life etc. I think most people nowadays are operating on a lot of cortisol, and then later on in life are at risk of stroke and heart attacks. Not that you are, just a general consensus of how the world is going. I just went through a hurricane and had a tooth removed so cypro is feeling like a downer as I recover from the stress. It is not always this depressing, it is just a sign for me that I need to rest.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
If I have St. John’s wort running in my system, and then take cypro, I basically get zero sedative effects.
SJW is not an SSRI btw.
This combo makes me HYPER PRODUCTIVE and clear headed. I still have to wait 4 days until the libido and feel good refreshing feelings (oxytocin?) comes back.

Appetite gets high.

Digestion improves

I do not notice the massive anti cholinergic effects if I just eat a few eggs.

I do feel like my cardio is WAY worse though.

I usually take metformin the day after too.