Cypro And Alcohol

scarlettsmum

for those on cypro, do you drink alcohol ? I take 1mg and sometimes I fancy some wine or gin and tonic, but not sure if this is advisable. I know that the amount I take is minuscule but still I'm wondering if it interacts in some way.

raypeatclips

I try not to take doses when I know I will be drinking later. Had a few beers while on 0.5-1mg cypro and noticed no negative effects really, maybe a bit more sluggish than expected.

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut There are probably not many people that have done as much research specifically into cypro as you have. Are you aware of any issues of drinking alcohol while taking cyproheptadine?

Thank you.

Cypro has a very rare liver side effect - i.e. elevation of liver enzymes. However, the incidence is less than 1/10,000 and given that cypro is often given to treat alcoholic who often have liver damage (and nobody has had serious issues from that treatment) I think it is probably OK. But something to keep in mind. Other than that, cypro decreases alcohol preference and may make drinking less enjoyable. For some people that would be a bane and for others bounty.

raypeatclips

Cypro has a very rare liver side effect - i.e. elevation of liver enzymes. However, the incidence is less than 1/10,000 and given that cypro is often given to treat alcoholic who often have liver damage (and nobody has had serious issues from that treatment) I think it is probably OK. But something to keep in mind. Other than that, cypro decreases alcohol preference and may make drinking less enjoyable. For some people that would be a bane and for others bounty.

Thank you for the reply. If I recall you said the liver enzymes elevation occurs in high doses, around 16mg, if it is going to occur?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thank you for the reply. If I recall you said the liver enzymes elevation occurs in high doses, around 16mg, if it is going to occur?

Those were the case studies I have seen. Given how rare it is, there are no systematic studies (to my knowledge) that have look at this side effect in a large group of people besides the original clinical trials when the drug was developed in the 1960s.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals