Cypro = amazing but...

Dr. B

Worth mentioning that I read a couple of times about Cushing syndrome (too much ACTH from the pituitary causes too much Cortisol) in horses being treated with a a so called a so D2 agonist (Pergolide) and Cyproheptadine.

I find that combination quite interesting.
It is quite interesting how they refer to it in veterinary use as anti serotonin syndrome rather the preferred term of some, an anti-histamine, which I think it is a underwhelming term for Cyproheptadine.
if it causes weight gain why would it be used for cushings, is the D2 agonist then responsible for causing the weight loss and negating any weight gain from the cyproheptadine

Gustav3Y

We could speculate a lot I guess.

Cyproheptadine is there exclusively to work as an anti serotonin and anti-pituitary (ACTH) and Pergolide (or often Bromocriptine) to counter act the D2 inhibition of Cyproheptadine, while at the same time Cypro might block the agonist effects that these drugs also have on Serotonin seceptors.

Beastmode

Def could use more sleep. I'll work on that.

Also, whatever cypro does to my body I'm def doing the opposite of and deficient in some sorta hormones because all the negative anxiety mood everything goes away...I dont think im depressed haha

Do whatever you can to master this part. Sleep has the biggest payoff, yet can be a journey to really get dialed in. It makes EVERYTHING else better and also makes your system more sensitive to what it needs. I was resting well already, but the past month I'm in by before 9 every night.

There's been some good threads on here about improving sleep.

OP
M

Meathead

What time of day do you take the cypro? Thanks
I take it 2 hours before bed 1 tiny drop and the next day I feel incredible. It's a drug for anorexic patients so it def helps you gain weight, which I always had a problem with, but now Im gaining too much haha. And its def anabolic. I'm actually filling out my legs and chest when I lift just have to watch out for everything else because the belly fats up. I am going to purchase VIt D today to see if that helps it. I didn't take any last night since I took 1 drop the past 3 days so that should help control the hunger.

Edit: I totally forgot I had Calcirol (Vit D) I just used some on my arms. Let's see if it helps!!

OP
M

Meathead

Do whatever you can to master this part. Sleep has the biggest payoff, yet can be a journey to really get dialed in. It makes EVERYTHING else better and also makes your system more sensitive to what it needs. I was resting well already, but the past month I'm in by before 9 every night.

There's been some good threads on here about improving sleep.
I should use my red light more that used to help me but I haven't used it in over a year..

xeliex

Forum Supporter
We used it in the hospital with malnourished patients. At least in part, it seems to work by stimulating their appetite.

PaRa

metergoline is better than cypro regarding hunger

metergoline makes me way less hungry and less salt needed according to taste

I felt Ketotifen to be more gentle and sleep promoter than cypro even in lower doses. But the anti-serotinin effect were weaker.

Waynish

More solid rather than liquid calories, more exercise, better rest, and I would try reducing the caffeine intake you said you love. Is Cypro right before bed?

Ignoramus

I became addicted to the wonderful sleeps that cypro gave me (I have struggled with sleep all of my life), and also noticed that it made me feel 'enlightened' the day after use. I'm an artist, and my work became very good and I was consequently enjoying a lot of money and success for the first few months on this drug. However after a few months things started to go downhill. I noticed that I had been gaining a lot of weight during this time, but I was too happy to care until it became a serious issue.

I think my insulin became messed up from this drug, and now I can't sleep through the night without eating sooo much every few hours. The main reason I quit though were the mental effects; I became extremely unmotivated and uncaring, unsexual. I think my ex broke up with me due to these personality changes. It also made some of my teeth hurt, as others have said. I'm off it now, but only now after like 4 months is my motivation returning to what it was pre-cypro... I would definitely just use this drug in the short term!

And I only used a small dose too (1/4 of a Periactin pill in the evenings).

Attachments

• cypro.jpg
    cypro.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 149

Dr. B

I became addicted to the wonderful sleeps that cypro gave me (I have struggled with sleep all of my life), and also noticed that it made me feel 'enlightened' the day after use. I'm an artist, and my work became very good and I was consequently enjoying a lot of money and success for the first few months on this drug. However after a few months things started to go downhill. I noticed that I had been gaining a lot of weight during this time, but I was too happy to care until it became a serious issue.

I think my insulin became messed up from this drug, and now I can't sleep through the night without eating sooo much every few hours. The main reason I quit though were the mental effects; I became extremely unmotivated and uncaring, unsexual. I think my ex broke up with me due to these personality changes. It also made some of my teeth hurt, as others have said. I'm off it now, but only now after like 4 months is my motivation returning to what it was pre-cypro... I would definitely just use this drug in the short term!

it does look like weight gain without muscle gain, how much did you gain? did your temps go down, what mechanism do you think causes the weight gain

Ignoramus

it does look like weight gain without muscle gain, how much did you gain? did your temps go down, what mechanism do you think causes the weight gain
The 'before' here was actually a few months into cypro already; the total weight gain was probably 40-50lbs in like 8 months. I didn't work out during this time and it does all seem to be fat. I don't think I ate significantly more than usual (like 2000-2500 cals at 200lbs). I would even have these weird reoccurring dreams about my belly 'inflating' during the night...

I don't track temps, but I don't remember ever feeling cold on cypro. I guess the histamine drop is the issue. I think I'm an under-methylator too, so I may be accustomed to running off of more histamine than others (but idk). I'm used to feeling extremely motivated but 'bad'/unhappy in general, and cypro made me feel the opposite of that, for better or worse.

Mauritio

The main reason I quit though were the mental effects; I became extremely unmotivated and uncaring, unsexual. I
Sounds like D2-antagonism .
Did you loose the weight after you stopped taking cyproheptadine?

Dr. B

The 'before' here was actually a few months into cypro already; the total weight gain was probably 40-50lbs in like 8 months. I didn't work out during this time and it does all seem to be fat. I don't think I ate significantly more than usual (like 2000-2500 cals at 200lbs). I would even have these weird reoccurring dreams about my belly 'inflating' during the night...

I don't track temps, but I don't remember ever feeling cold on cypro. I guess the histamine drop is the issue. I think I'm an under-methylator too, so I may be accustomed to running off of more histamine than others (but idk). I'm used to feeling extremely motivated but 'bad'/unhappy in general, and cypro made me feel the opposite of that, for better or worse.
did you do cheatdays/refeed days with high calories or 2000 everyday? thats a low caloric intake for being at 200 pounds, how tall are you
histamine lowering can cause weight gain?

Ignoramus

Sounds like D2-antagonism .
Did you loose the weight after you stopped taking cyproheptadine?
I'm feeling more normal now - something like 4 months post-cypro. I am losing weight but it takes effort. Before I used to be able to lose weight more easily, I think. I'm down maybe 10 or 15 lbs. I am relieved to be feeling better mentally, because it was quite disturbing to be so uncaring. I lost a lot of money (I run my own business and I basically stopped working for ages) and I just didn't care at all.

Last edited:

Ignoramus

did you do cheatdays/refeed days with high calories or 2000 everyday? thats a low caloric intake for being at 200 pounds, how tall are you
histamine lowering can cause weight gain?
I'm 5'10". Yeah I guess I'm hypothyroid; that doesn't seem too little to me (but more like 2500 not 2000).

I don't know anything about hormones. They say that histamine is involved in appetite. I don't think I ate so much more on cypro, but maybe I did without realising. I think that the feeling of being alert/wired/driven is implicated in weight loss; on cypro I felt like a hazy blob; I had a 'fat personality'. I also slept for several hours more each day, which maybe conserved more energy.

Another weird thing I noticed is that my face became more neotenous on cypro. I couldn't really tell because I had a beard while using it, but after shaving my chin looked sooo weird and small, even in comparison to photos taken not long ago. My theory is that it made breathing more easy for me (usually I have some night apnea and difficulty with nasal breathing while sleeping - cypro completely fixed this while I was using it), which meant that I didn't need to push my jaws forward so much nor keep facial tension to aid breathing as I normally would. Now that I've been off of it for a while my face looks more masculine again. I had a lot of breathing issues coming off of it, I think because of the atrophied jaw muscles/tongue - I've had to relearn how I used to breathe.

Last edited:

redsun

Loss of motivation/drive, hypersomnia (sleeping too much), reduced insulin sensitivity and weight gain, reduced libido, teeth problems... I would definitely say chronic histamine antagonism was the major player in the manifestation of these problems.

Also its possible weight gain made your face more neotenous due to extra fat softening the face. But you likely also had less androgens since histamine will generally raise androgens through H1 and H2 receptors. Which indirectly contributes to your problems as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals