Cynoplus vs Synthroid + T3

Katty

Is there any reason that Cynoplus is generally recommended as opposed to synthroid plus cytomel (T3)?

jaguar43

either one is fine.

aguilaroja

Katty said:
...any reason that Cynoplus is generally recommended as opposed to synthroid plus cytomel (T3)?

I think Cynoplus (4 to 1 ratio of T4 to T3) is good enough for many at the start , with the convenience of including both T4 & T3 and relatively low cost. The 4 to 1 ratio is also the ratio in the dessicated "natural" thyroid (Armour, etc.) that Broda Barnes and other pioneers used.

The advantage of separate T4 (levothyroxine/Synthroid ) & T3 (liothyronine/Cytomel/Cynomel) is that the T4 to T3 ratio can be more easily adjusted. Dr. Peat has mentioned that the ratio in the brain is more like 3 to 1, T4 to T3, for instance.

There are some non-Peat sites/advocates who tout much higher portions of T4 to T3, or adjust T4 & T3 primarily based on blood test results. I think it is unwise to adjust thyroid dosing without regard to signs and symptoms.

Mittir

aguilaroja said:
4 & T3 and relatively low cost. The 4 to 1 ratio is also the ratio in the dessicated "natural" thyroid (Armour, etc.) that Broda Barnes and other pioneers used.

The advantage of separate T4 (levothyroxine/Synthroid ) & T3 (liothyronine/Cytomel/Cynomel) is that the T4 to T3 ratio can be more easily adjusted. Dr. Peat has mentioned that the ratio in the brain is more like 3 to 1, T4 to T3, for instance.

I remember RP mentioning in several interviews, first interview with Rainmaking is one those
interviews, that brain tries to maintain 1:1 ratio of T4:T3 even when blood has much higher ratio of T4. I think for male it is much easier to cope with 4:1 ratio. I have seen here in several female member's postings that they do well on lower ratio of T4:T3. Since T3 has short half life it is more reasonable to take cynoplus at bed time and during day time a small dose of T3 or cynoplus with meals. Adjusting thyroid supplement involves a lot of trial and error. RP mentioned that T4:T3 ratio between 4:1 to 2:1 are fine.

aguilaroja

Dr. Peat's newsletter on thyroid (one of numerous issues that mention thyroid prominently) covers these points with some background. While Dr. Peat's views evolve, the article seems mainly representative of current views.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/thyroid.shtml

The article deserves full reading. Keep in mind that while Dr. Peat has a general outlook, in discussing individual situations, he sees a wide metabolic context and seems to steer away from inflexible recipes. Some excerpts are pasted below:

"The brain concentrates T3 from the serum, and may have a concentration 6 times higher than the serum (Goumaz, et al., 1987), and it can achieve a higher concentration of T3 than T4. It takes up and concentrates T3, while tending to expel T4. Reverse T3 (rT3) doesn't have much ability to enter the brain, but increased T4 can cause it to be produced in the brain. These observations suggest to me that the blood's T3:T4 ratio would be very "brain favorable" if it approached more closely to the ratio formed in the thyroid gland, and secreted into the blood. Although most synthetic combination thyroid products now use a ratio of four T4 to one T3, many people feel that their memory and thinking are clearer when they take a ratio of about three to one...."

"An effective way to use supplements is to take a combination T4-T3 dose, e.g., 40 mcg of T4 and 10 mcg of T3 once a day, and to use a few mcg of T3 at other times in the day. Keeping a 14-day chart of pulse rate and temperature allows you to see whether the dose is producing the desired response. If the figures aren't increasing at all after a few days, the dose can be increased, until a gradual daily increment can be seen, moving toward the goal at the rate of about 1/14 per day."

OP
K

Katty

Thanks Mittir and aguilaroja! I read the article and it is helpful. I just received some lab results, and I posted those in the "Ask for help" section just to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Mjeffersondc

Dr. Peat's newsletter on thyroid (one of numerous issues that mention thyroid prominently) covers these points with some background. While Dr. Peat's views evolve, the article seems mainly representative of current views.

Thyroid: Therapies, Confusion, and Fraud

The article deserves full reading. Keep in mind that while Dr. Peat has a general outlook, in discussing individual situations, he sees a wide metabolic context and seems to steer away from inflexible recipes. Some excerpts are pasted below:

"The brain concentrates T3 from the serum, and may have a concentration 6 times higher than the serum (Goumaz, et al., 1987), and it can achieve a higher concentration of T3 than T4. It takes up and concentrates T3, while tending to expel T4. Reverse T3 (rT3) doesn't have much ability to enter the brain, but increased T4 can cause it to be produced in the brain. These observations suggest to me that the blood's T3:T4 ratio would be very "brain favorable" if it approached more closely to the ratio formed in the thyroid gland, and secreted into the blood. Although most synthetic combination thyroid products now use a ratio of four T4 to one T3, many people feel that their memory and thinking are clearer when they take a ratio of about three to one...."

"An effective way to use supplements is to take a combination T4-T3 dose, e.g., 40 mcg of T4 and 10 mcg of T3 once a day, and to use a few mcg of T3 at other times in the day. Keeping a 14-day chart of pulse rate and temperature allows you to see whether the dose is producing the desired response. If the figures aren't increasing at all after a few days, the dose can be increased, until a gradual daily increment can be seen, moving toward the goal at the rate of about 1/14 per day."
I see Armour has a 4 to 1 ratio of T4 to T3, but where can you get non prescription T4 if I am adjusting both levels myself?