Cynomel T3

iLoveSugar

I have been taking this for about 3 months, roughly 25-30 mcg a day. How comes I haven't noticed anything? I'm clearly hypo, with low temps, and freezing cold feet. My thyroid labs look good though. I just havent noticed any benefit.

jyb

Some people react to dessicated rather than synthetic. It's also possible that your dosage is not right. With those pills its easy to take too much at a time, as its hard to cut say a pill into 8-16 pieces.

If after 6-12 months of a good pro-thyroid diet you still have no effect from thyroid, it is possible that you need more than just thyroid supplements. I'm in that case. But if you noticed that it does kill your TSH, then it may be wise to keep taking them even if that alone is not enough bring you out of hypothyroidism, because it is theoretically sound to have low TSH (according to RP). As for other thyroid labs - those are basically junk, as its possible to have "good" lab works yet severe hypothyroidism.

My impression is that those who are just transiently hypothyroid (due to some stress event, age,...) probably can get out of hypothyroid with just better diet and thyroid pills. But for lifelong issues, it will take more and RP articles provide you with many additional tools to try out. There are also a few "thyroid resistance" threads on this forum.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

What is desicated? Armour? I've tried nature Throid also. What else is needed on your end? I've also tried HC with no success.

jyb

iLoveSugar said:
What is desicated? Armour? I've tried nature Throid also. What else is needed on your end? I've also tried HC with no success.

Dessicated thyroid as opposed to synthetic thyroid pills (like cynomel/plus). RP seems to use the latter, but some forum members here swear by dessicated, for example "thiroyd". Armour has bad reputation here.

What's HC? I've tried quite a few things and I know what works for me and what doesn't - it will be up to you to experiment over the year, one by one making sure that you test each suggestion carefully so as not to discard something that was actually key, including diet.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I've been experimenting for a few years, with no success, hence the reason for my questions. HC is hydrocortisone, in smaller doses, to help try and pick me up. I've been heavy Peating for the past 2 years, continuing to alter.

jyb

iLoveSugar said:
I've been experimenting for a few years, with no success, hence the reason for my questions. HC is hydrocortisone, in smaller doses, to help try and pick me up. I've been heavy Peating for the past 2 years, continuing to alter.

Sorry, I thought you were beginning because you mentioned you were only 3 months in thyroid. By other suggestions, I mean the other hormones (progesterone, pregnelonone), a long term diet (gelatin, coconut oil), and the specials (cascara, potato protein liquid, aspirin).

OP
I

iLoveSugar

jyb said:
iLoveSugar said:

Sorry, I thought you were beginning because you mentioned you were only 3 months in thyroid. By other suggestions, I mean the other hormones (progesterone, pregnelonone), a long term diet (gelatin, coconut oil), and the specials (cascara, potato protein liquid, aspirin).

Apologize for not clarifying. I have been incorporating all of that above, but I by no means probably do things right. I just recently started again with pregnenolone, roughly 75 mg per day, recommended by RP. I'm also taking little drops of Progest E occasionally, although I haven't felt anything. I'm a bit of a wimp to up the dose. I'm still dealing with CFS, EBV, etc, but I truly believe the heart of my issues lye in my gut. I suffer very badly there. Terrible time digesting food, crampy stomach, constipated, slow transit, etc. I've done a million and one things with my stomach, and it's easily my largest issue. I have a chronic stiff neck, and I imagine it would be helped by clearing up my digestion. Agh... continue to plug away.

jyb

Cascara works good for me, I take almost 1/2 teaspoon daily when I do the carrot salad with vinegar and coconut oil. The one I use is prenium (from Italy), though I'm not sure if that's essential. The bitterness is extreme.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I've been taking about 1 tsp daily, but it's from a co-op in Ohio. At first, it worked very good, but after 3-4 days, it just became ineffective. I'm not sure if you can spill the beans with your source, but I would love to know where to order some, to give another brand a try.

I had a similar experience initially with cynomel: no effect despite 30mcg/day. I wrote Peat and he suggested ensuring adequate selenium. After taking LEF's Super Selenium Complex @ 200mcg/day my pulse elevated overnight. Especially since you mentioned digestive trouble I think this could be the missing factor.

Bowel movements become far more frequent once the thyroid picks up. Magnesium citrate helps considerably in getting things moving. Also consider that the body's requirement for Mg goes up as thyroid function improves.

Mittir

unexamined_whimsy said:
. Also consider that the body's requirement for Mg goes up as thyroid function improves.

There is a RP email in email depository section where he mentioned that requirement for magnesium decreases
with increasing thyroid function as cell is able to retain magnesium more efficiently.

Mittir said:
unexamined_whimsy said:
. Also consider that the body's requirement for Mg goes up as thyroid function improves.

There is a RP email in email depository section where he mentioned that requirement for magnesium decreases
with increasing thyroid function as cell is able to retain magnesium more efficiently.

The lord spake: Increased thyroid action does at first increase the need for magnesium. - RP

I think the nuance here is that the deficiency of Mg due to hypothyroidism must first be overcome, thus creating the extra requirement.

mariange

unexamined_whimsy said:
I had a similar experience initially with cynomel: no effect despite 30mcg/day. I wrote Peat and he suggested ensuring adequate selenium. After taking LEF's Super Selenium Complex @ 200mcg/day my pulse elevated overnight. Especially since you mentioned digestive trouble I think this could be the missing factor.

I was just about to push the button to order some LEF Super Selenium but noticed it also contains Vitamin E. Were you able to confirm that the E is not from soy?

Appreciate the recommendation!

Mariange

OP
I

iLoveSugar

unexamined_whimsy said:

Bowel movements become far more frequent once the thyroid picks up. Magnesium citrate helps considerably in getting things moving. Also consider that the body's requirement for Mg goes up as thyroid function improves.

What's the likliness of being deficient in selenium when I eat quite a bit of beef and eggs?

aquaman

iLoveSugar said:
I have been taking this for about 3 months, roughly 25-30 mcg a day. How comes I haven't noticed anything? I'm clearly hypo, with low temps, and freezing cold feet. My thyroid labs look good though. I just havent noticed any benefit.

Recovering with T3 is a really useful book - I bought it 3 months ago when I found out about T3/ Peat etc.. but only started reading it last week. It's very detailed and I learnt a lot. I'll try to write a summary of what I've read so far and post it, but you know... tempus fugit.

aquaman

jyb said:
Cascara works good for me, I take almost 1/2 teaspoon daily when I do the carrot salad with vinegar and coconut oil. The one I use is prenium (from Italy)

I find the powder taken can be quite harsh on the stomach - try making tea out of it instead, not drinking the powder at bottom of cup. This is what Josh Rubin recommended, and it works well for me

OP
I

iLoveSugar

aquaman said:
iLoveSugar said:

Recovering with T3 is a really useful book - I bought it 3 months ago when I found out about T3/ Peat etc.. but only started reading it last week. It's very detailed and I learnt a lot. I'll try to write a summary of what I've read so far and post it, but you know... tempus fugit.

I did briefly read over some of the articles about it sometime ago. I think it encourages taking larger doses of T3 though, starting before you wake up, circadian rhythm. Its definitely anti-RP as it encourages taking large doses, versus smaller doses, and the larger doses seem to elevated liver enzymes. Am I right?

SAFarmer

iLoveSugar said:
I did briefly read over some of the articles about it sometime ago. I think it encourages taking larger doses of T3 though, starting before you wake up, circadian rhythm. Its definitely anti-RP as it encourages taking large doses, versus smaller doses, and the larger doses seem to elevated liver enzymes. Am I right?

Hi, I don't know why you say taking higher dosages of T3 is "anti-RP. I have read most of what dr. Ray Peat has written in his articles, interviews and email communications with others, and don't come to your conclusion. He just said that taking smaller dosages at a time more regularly, seems to work better for him or that he thinks it doesn't interfere with the normal regularly processes in the body.

The book mentioned here is based on the work and teachings of dr John Lowe who treated thousands of people with Thyroid, both dessiccated and synthetic, T4 and T3, both alone or in combinations. He has said many times that in a third of his patients he found that they need much higher dosages of only T3 to work for them and relieve their symptoms. He did not find that T3 taken all at once in high dosages of up to 150 mcg give problems provided those people did not have heart problems to begin with, then they had to start with low dosages and up it gradually. Ray Peat is just being very conservative and cautious as always.

Mittir

Ray Peat said:
The body produces about 4 mcg of T3 per hour, so taking more than that can interfere with regulatory processes

Source :http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011/12/29/ray-peats-brain-building-a-foundation-for-better-understandi.html

SAFarmer

Mittir said:
Ray Peat said:
The body produces about 4 mcg of T3 per hour, so taking more than that can interfere with regulatory processes

Source :http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011/12/29/ray-peats-brain-building-a-foundation-for-better-understandi.html

the word "can" is not the same as "will" or "do" ...

if by your quote you want to imply that Ray Peat says to limit T3 to 4 mcg / hour ?