Cymbalta

messtafarian

[ moderator edit: posts moved from Methylene Blue ]

You know, overall I am confused about this supplement. If it is an MAOI then it has to be preserving serotonin, which is one root of evil in Peatworld.

I am deeply contemplating a prescription I was just given for Cymbalta from a neurologist, which I don't want to take, because of the serotonin. I don't mind preserving norephinephrine, but I am leery of serotonin from this drug, and from MB.

Any thoughts about that?

narouz

messtafarian said:
You know, overall I am confused about this supplement. If it is an MAOI then it has to be preserving serotonin, which is one root of evil in Peatworld.

I am deeply contemplating a prescription I was just given for Cymbalta from a neurologist, which I don't want to take, because of the serotonin. I don't mind preserving norephinephrine, but I am leery of serotonin from this drug, and from MB.

Any thoughts about that?

Cymbalta...
isn't it also useful in other seemingly unrelated and maybe surprising areas?

With MB.
I can't remember: is it an SSRE ?

OP
M

messtafarian

I don't know that much about it. I was just handed this thing because it was supposed to help with anxiety and neuropathic pain since the neurologist I saw thinks I've become batty over my neck pain and symptoms and he is frankly not wrong. It's an SNRI -- inhibits uptake of serotonin and norepinephrine. I think it's sometimes used for ADD.

MB is a reversible MAOI and also conserves serotonin.

narouz

messtafarian said:
I don't know that much about it. I was just handed this thing because it was supposed to help with anxiety and neuropathic pain since the neurologist I saw thinks I've become batty over my neck pain and symptoms and he is frankly not wrong. It's an SNRI -- inhibits uptake of serotonin and norepinephrine. I think it's sometimes used for ADD.

MB is a reversible MAOI and also conserves serotonin.

Generally, from a Peat point of view,
the less serotonin the better.
If a drug is classified as an SNRI,
that means serotonin reuptake is being inhibited.

I think that's (again, generally) a bad thing from a Peat pov.

You saying it "conserves" serotonin.
I think it means that you experience more serotonin effects.
If you got too much serotonin, you want an SRRE or SNRE...a serotonin-reuptake Enhancer...right?

OP
M

messtafarian

Right. Actually a monoamine oxydase inhibitor inhibits the peptide that breaks down all the brain chemicals including serotonin, but I think that's why Peat says he thinks the "earlier" psychotropics are better.

Still, serotonin is serotonin.

OP
M

messtafarian

I don't want to take it. I look at it every day on my kitchen counter though. I'm getting desperate. Cymbalta is supposed to calm social anxiety and and anxiety in general, as well as help with neuropathy.

I don't really have neuropathy. I have something really a bit worse, shakiness and arm weakness from what I really thought was a broken neck for a couple of weeks. Also a frozen shoulder; the whole muscular system going up to my jaw is nearly always in spasm because of this and pulling my jaw down.

And I am anxious now because I had the scare of a lifetime, I kid you not. But since this whole thing has brought up both an "instinct to hibernate" and " learned helplessness" I doubt I need any more serotonin. Seriously doubt that.

Tianeptine...nope, off to research.

Greg says

Messtafarian, I have been using Tianeptine for the past 18 months with periodic breaks. For me it excels with learned helplessness and anxiety and all the other symptoms high serotonin creates. A great substance with, for me at least, zero side effects. I use about 30 mg twice a day.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
messtafarian, I dunno. I wish I knew. Gonna give it a break and then maybe try nanogram doses. Maybe micrograms is too much I dunno. Blurred vision is one of the side effects listed.

I will add that cyproheptadine gives me restless leg syndrome. I am such a mess. :lol:

OP
M

messtafarian

It occurred to me right around the time I realized I was absolutely freaking out that I had to dial back on the supps and stop adding stuff. Regardless of all his suggestions Peat seems to believe that healthy people shouldn't need too much of anything more than a good diet; diseases get gentle support from one or two things. Now when I get my little symptoms the first thing I do is tell my nervous system: "It's OK."
You're not a mess. You are just you :).

Watchful

I went to an endocrinologist today.

My pregnenolone level is <5 on a scale of 13 to 208.

I am 30 years old. He wrote me a prescription for Cymbalta.

He said I should not take pregnenolone. I am going to get a second opinion.

How much pregnenolone do you all recommend I take per day?

answersfound

Pregnenolone supplementation is highly individual. people over 30 produce 30-50 mg per day. I try to be very cautious with pregnenolone because if you take too much it is not fun. I would experiment but I would not advise going over 100. From my experience you will need more pregnenolone if you are using t3 also. My endo told me not to take pregnenolone but the benefits, when used correctly were so profound I couldn't afford to stop using it.

tara

:welcome Watchful

You might get more ideas with a bit more context, if you want to tell more.
Eg. What problems are you trying to solve?
Other lab results? Not that I'm expert in reading them, but there are some pattern I or others might pick up. I'd be curious, for instance, about cholesterol and thyroid numbers?
Current diet and brief history?
Any idea yourself about what has caused current issues/low pregnenolone?

Watchful said:
I went to an endocrinologist today.

He wrote me a prescription for Cymbalta.

Yes it seems this is the average endocrinologist visit :roll:

Peata

Yeah, an endo put me on Cymbalta too, years ago. I couldn't tolerate even one pill of it.

marcar72

Doctor's can't make money off of pregnenolone, but if they can get you on Cymbalta they make money. The system is gamed and most people on this forum don't give doctors the benefit of doubt.

Don't take a natural occuring hormone that you're extremely short of but take some man made crap drug instead? That just don't sound like sound advice no matter how you look at it.

I too would like to know "If it isn't Adrenal Fatigue, what the hell is it then??" Supposedly Adrenal Fatigue has been discredited but I seemed to experience it very acutely during the last half of 2014 due to black mold poisoning along with various other stressors in life.

I moved in October to get away from the black mold and started taking pregnenolone in December at 50 mg/day. It definately helps with stress for me... :2cents

I think Cymbalta would do well on the streets and campuses, it's basically a binge drinking aid.

marcar72

Such_Saturation said:
I think Cymbalta would do well on the streets and campuses, it's basically a binge drinking aid.

Cocaine is probably safer for such an endeavor... :2cents

marcar72 said:
Such_Saturation said:

Cocaine is probably safer for such an endeavor... :2cents

But who knows, the law might be more lenient... or perhaps the drug cartel drug company might bail you out in exchange for a few testimonials here and there... I don't know of the DEA drug cartel offering any such services.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals