Cyanide In Sprouted Sorghum

Mossy

After being pleasantly surprised at discovering that Dr. Peat seems to be pro sprouted grains, I've purchased a decent amount of sprouted sorghum (yup, for the DHT), only to now discover there is a concern of cyanide being produced as a result of the sprouting process.

I've searched these forums, but have stumbled upon only one mention of it, and that was a suggestion to google it. I thought I'd post this to see if anyone has any additional insight/experience that could help.

It seems that the cyanide content is dependent on the growing process, if I'm understanding this abstract correctly -- though, they do mention a "fatal dose" within this abstract:
Cyanide Content of Sorghum Sprouts

I did locate another abstract that seems to downplay the concern and note that, "Apparently, prior mechanical elimination of roots and shoots coupled with a heat or hot water treatment during processing is adequate for detoxifying sorghum-based food and beverage products.":
Cyanide Profile of Component Parts of Sorghum Sprouts

OP
Mossy

Mossy

Also, it would interesting to know if any company offers nixtamalized sorghum, as I see it's mentioned as possible via another thread:

"This process, originating in Mexico, is famously known to remove up to 97-100% of aflatoxins from mycotoxin contaminated corn.[2] The term can also refer to the removal via an alkali process of the pericarp from other grains such as sorghum.":
Wikipedia

DHT

i thought the cyanide and glycosides in the sorghum are the main reason why they re pro DHT maybe because they stimulate the thyroid to grow

OP
Mossy

Mossy

i thought the cyanide and glycosides in the sorghum are the main reason why they re pro DHT maybe because they stimulate the thyroid to grow
Hmm. Interesting. Do you remember where you have read this? I would imagine, though, should there be a tolerable amount of cyanide that the body can take, there must also be a level in which it turns dangerous/fatal.

I did just remember reading that apple seeds have cyanide in them. We obviously consume those safely.

After being pleasantly surprised at discovering that Dr. Peat seems to be pro sprouted grains

Its not that he's pro, it's that someone just asked him about them once and he explained why they are probably better than non-sprouted. He said "sprouts are basically good nutrition like leaves.." but he doesn't personally consumed sprouted grains and rarely consumes leaves and only mentioned that he makes a concentrated magnesium broth from greens.

I think spouted grains are a great source of sugar, fiber and some nutrients.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

Its not that he's pro, it's that someone just asked him about them once and he explained why they are probably better than non-sprouted. He said "sprouts are basically good nutrition like leaves.." but he doesn't personally consumed sprouted grains and rarely consumes leaves and only mentioned that he makes a concentrated magnesium broth from greens.

I think spouted grains are a great source of sugar, fiber and some nutrients.

I did consider the use of "pro", hence my use of "seems to be", considering the only position of Ray's that I'm aware of is the one you noted, "sprouts are basically good nutrition like leaves.". I would classify that as being pro -- it's definitely not anti. From my own perspective, by saying pro, that still doesn't mean a large consumption of them. Daily, this is the only grain that I consume, and 45 grams at a time, which equates to .7 grams of PUFA. My day's consumption is still under 4g PUFA per 2000 kcal.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

@CLASH
I didn't want to completely derail that Cause of Baldness thread with too many segues, so I'm asking this question here. If you think this discussion is relevant enough, and contributes to the gut issue related to balding, I'll add it back there. Sometimes there's a fine line between the differences and cross-relevancy of threads.

I wanted to add that I have been eating sprouted sorghum for about the last five days. Do you have any thoughts about the cyanide issue with the sprouted version of sorghum, and this being a contributor to my bad allergic reaction?

I know you get busy with all your posting, so don't worry if you don't have the time to address this issue; but, I thought I'd pick your brain on it if you had the time.

P.S. I don't think it's the sprouted sorghum, based upon my bad experience with that particular brand of hydrolyzed collagen, but I don't want to completely count it out. Plus, this is one of the worst reactions I've had in a long time. I don't recall the collagen being this bad; but, maybe it's just been a while and I didn't remember. Like I said in the other thread, too many variables!

jitsmonkey

you probably inhaled more cyanide driving behind that dump truck you drove behind yesterday than in your next 100 batches of sorghum.
"life is problematic" - RP

if you want to sprout and eat your sorghum have at it.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

you probably inhaled more cyanide driving behind that dump truck you drove behind yesterday than in your next 100 batches of sorghum.
"life is problematic" - RP

if you want to sprout and eat your sorghum have at it.
:lol: Haha, that's good, man.

I do like that Peat quote you use -- I saw it on your other post. I do totally get your common sense perspective and appreciate it on a forum that can get heavily technical. I am of both schools -- I like to research and do my due diligence, as much as possible; and, I like to jump in and just try things.

jitsmonkey

:lol: Haha, that's good, man.

I do like that Peat quote you use -- I saw it on your other post. I do totally get your common sense perspective and appreciate it on a forum that can get heavily technical. I am of both schools -- I like to research and do my due diligence, as much as possible; and, I like to jump in and just try things.

lol I've had enough arguments and debates over the years in person and online and just decided they rarely produced a net gain for me.
So by all means on critical items I'll get granular for sure.
Many of the things I've "embraced" I've already gone granular on and just don't need the banter to determine my thought position.

how much sorghum are you going to eat? Seriously?
You've been inhaling car exhaust since the day you were born.
I'm sure if you find sprouted sorghum offers you something of value it will outweigh any miniscule add to your overall cyanide load.

I apologize if my comment came off as belittling your desire to know.
I was really just trying to say in the big picture of things its probably not something you need to labor over and it was a vote to enjoy your sorghum.
(unless you want to labor AND enjoy your sorghum of course ;-)

Last edited:
OP
Mossy

Mossy

lol I've had enough arguments and debates over the years in person and online and just decided they rarely produced a net gain for me.
So by all means on critical items I'll get granular for sure.
Many of the things I've "embraced" I've already gone granular on and just don't need the banter to determine my thought position.

how much sorghum are you going to eat? Seriously?
You've been inhaling car exhaust since the day you were born.
I'm sure if you find sprouted sorghum offers you something of value it will outweigh any miniscule add to your overall cyanide load.

I apologize if my comment came off as belittling your desire to know.
I was really just trying to say in the big picture of things its probably not something you need to labor over and it was a vote to enjoy your sorghum.
(unless you want to labor AND enjoy your sorghum of course ;-)
No worries at all. I totally got it.

Normally, I wouldn't have thought much about it. I wasn't even aware of the issue -- which is only in sprouted sorghum, not non-sprouted. I had already purchased a large quantity of it and was searching on line how to cook it, when many, if not most, of the sites had warnings against using it. I then found links to a study noting a "fatal dose":

"The consumption of sorghum sprouts or products made from them may be hazardous. The average amount (61.3 mg) of HCN obtained in our laboratory from sprouts grown from 100g of seed exceeds the average fatal dose for an adult."

But, it's fair to say, you never see headlines of death by sprouted sorghum. But, if not death, I wonder if it could be taxing on the system, especially one already compromised.

jitsmonkey

No worries at all. I totally got it.

Normally, I wouldn't have thought much about it. I wasn't even aware of the issue -- which is only in sprouted sorghum, not non-sprouted. I had already purchased a large quantity of it and was searching on line how to cook it, when many, if not most, of the sites had warnings against using it. I then found links to a study noting a "fatal dose":

"The consumption of sorghum sprouts or products made from them may be hazardous. The average amount (61.3 mg) of HCN obtained in our laboratory from sprouts grown from 100g of seed exceeds the average fatal dose for an adult."

But, it's fair to say, you never see headlines of death by sprouted sorghum. But, if not death, I wonder if it could be taxing on the system, especially one already compromised.

I'd imagine inhalation vs ingestion poses a different dynamic as well.

CLASH

Sprouting is better than not. Fermenting is also good as is soaking. Turns starch into amylose and gets rid of inhibitors. I prefer honey and fruit juice for my monosaccharides, theyre easier to use and i think less risk for encouragement of negative species of you have an issue already. Variety is helpful sometimes tho.

Grains where always traditionally sprouted and prepared in specific ways. Modern society lost this along the way and is now suffering for it. Weston A price (the book and some of the articles) are good resources on this if you choose to use grains. As for the cynanide if you turn blue, you'll have your answer

OP
Mossy

Mossy

I'd imagine inhalation vs ingestion poses a different dynamic as well.
Ok, so you're thinking digestion of cyanide, in food form, is less dangerous than inhalation of it. I've heard the thought (on this forum, I think) that the cyanide itself, within sprouted sorghum, is part of its effective/beneficial nature.

So, for now, until there is something concrete out there, I can put this to rest: there is no definitive answer on it.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

Sprouting is better than not. Fermenting is also good as is soaking. Turns starch into amylose and gets rid of inhibitors. I prefer honey and fruit juice for my monosaccharides, theyre easier to use and i think less risk for encouragement of negative species of you have an issue already. Variety is helpful sometimes tho.

Grains where always traditionally sprouted and prepared in specific ways. Modern society lost this along the way and is now suffering for it. Weston A price (the book and some of the articles) are good resources on this if you choose to use grains. As for the cynanide if you turn blue, you'll have your answer
Yeah, that was my understanding as well: when in doubt, sprout!

Seems the scientific/official verdict on this will only come about as demand calls for it, by way of concerned consumers. So, for now, me and the 15 other fringe consumers of it will play the sprouted sorghum roulette game -- the one who turns the truest blue, wins! :yipes:barf

Appreciate the input.

jitsmonkey

Yeah, that was my understanding as well: when in doubt, sprout!

Seems the scientific/official verdict on this will only come about as demand calls for it, by way of concerned consumers. So, for now, me and the 15 other fringe consumers of it will play the sprouted sorghum roulette game -- the one who turns the truest blue, wins! :yipes:barf

Appreciate the input.

If I were to venture into the sprouting and eating of sorghum I would track pulse and temp pre and post
that would tell me pretty much everything I needed to know.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

If I were to venture into the sprouting and eating of sorghum I would track pulse and temp pre and post
that would tell me pretty much everything I needed to know.
Good idea :lightbulb:. I'll do that.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

So here it is over 6 years later and we never see headlines of sprouted sorghum eaters becoming ill or dying. Like with most things, there must be more to the story of sprouted sorghum. Many people from more traditional cultures are no doubt still eating it. As well, I see that sprouted sorghum is touted as a great, and profitable, grain and is being used to produce ready-to-eat foods, such as tortilla chips:

Dipping Into Sprouted Sorghum - National Sorghum Producers.

I bring this up because I have some more sorghum grain and am considering sprouting it for the potential added nutritional benefits. #Insert jokes about the benefit of dying from cyanide poisoning here#.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals