Currently available sources of Liquid Vitamin D3?

loess

So the vitamin D3 supplement that I've been taking are liquid drops in a gum arabic base and emulsified in sesame oil. Now that I'm experimenting with Peating, I'd like to move away from the potential allergen effects of the gum arabic and the PUFA in the sesame oil. What's out there these days in a liquid form that's good and safe? Carlson has discontinued the D3 drops that were carried by fractionated coconut oil, and have replaced them with a product that utilizes MCT sourced from coconut and palm. That's all well and good but I'm a bit uneasy about it because of the PUFA in palm oil.

The only other product I can find is the Thorne D3 liquid drops which are in "a base of medium chain triglyceride oil, preserved with mixed tocopherols." Unsure if that MCT oil is free of palm or other PUFA...perhaps I will contact them to get an answer. I do wish there was a higher concentrated version available since winter is coming, but I suppose it's not that big of a deal to just up the dosage on this one.

I might go for the Thorne K2/D3 drops instead because I need to get a K2 supplement anyway. I use to take Green Pastures High Vitamin Butter Oil for K2, but I'm pretty certain that it's high in PUFA (arachidonic acid specifically). Now, with winter coming around soon coupled with the fact that I don't get nearly enough sunlight as it is, I'd like to shoot for a D3 dose somewhere in the neighborhood of 6,000-10,000 IU per day. From what I understand it's pretty safe to take a lot of D3. Does the same hold true for K2? In other words can you take "too much" K2? If I went with that strategy using the K2/D3 drops I'd also be getting somewhere between 1400-2200mcg of K2 on a daily basis in addition to the D3.

Man, maybe I should just find a way to hang out in a tanning bed every so often...

Gabriel

MCT oil is by definition free of PUFAs (there are no medium chain PUFAs).

OP
loess

loess

Ah, I see! I was making a mountain out of a naked molehill. I'll get the Carlson D3 since it's more concentrated, a bit cheaper and available locally @ Whole Foods.

4peatssake

loess said:
Ah, I see! I was making a mountain out of a naked molehill. I'll get the Carlson D3 since it's more concentrated, a bit cheaper and available locally @ Whole Foods.
Both Carlson and Thorne's liquid Vitamin D are listed as positives on Dan's Toxinless Website. There are a couple of others as well.

Toxinless: Vitamin D supplements with the fewest additives

OP
loess

loess

@4peatssake - I found Dan's website a few days ago but somehow I had missed the page with the big list of supplements/vitamins and their individual subpages on there. Thanks mucho for the link!

And of course, many thanks to Dan for bringing together such a wide array of valuable info! Sifting through the ingredients on the back of bottles, boxes, packages and canisters while grocery shopping can make one's head spin as it is, so it is immensely helpful to have your website as a reference when selecting between supplements and foods full of potentially troublesome excipients.

G

gummybear

What's the best one vitamin d? Healthy origins from iherb seems to be the cheapest? Maybe the dose is too high?

Dan W

Did you specifically need a capsule, gummybear? The Life Enhancement brand isn't quite as expensive as it seems, I calculate it being 16 cents per 4000 IU vs Healthy Origins at 9 cents.

I actually buy the Carlson liquid for its 5 cent dose. The liquid isn't as bad to work with as you might think: there's a built-in "slow-drop" cap, and it doesn't really taste like anything.