Curing laryngophageal (silent) reflux

revenant

Maybe someone will end up on the forums through Google, I know I was googling this stuff every night for hours... Just wanted to post this here in case someone is thinking that LPR cannot be fixed without surgery. I also don't think protein-pump inhibitors are a good idea; they might give temporary relief but will probably lead to more serious problems in the long run.

I suffered from LPR for over a year. I think it started when I changed from a decade-long low-carb diet to one with resistant starch, since that was supposed to be the next great health miracle. It wasn't; it just gave me SIBO symptoms and made me gain more weight, along with other issues.

My symptoms were a burning sensation in the throat, redness in the back of the throat, postnasal drip, an acidic feel in my mouth all the time, chronic cough and a feeling of a "lump" in my throat, especially when lying on my back.

There are some good articles about LPR online, such as this one: The LPR Cure: Everything I've Learned - Chris Aram

I tried a ton of stuff to fix it, but the ones that made a difference were:

- Drinking and gargling with baking soda to neutralize pepsin
- Sleeping on your left side to block pepsin from travelling up the throat at night
- Taking a melatonin supplement at night (not Peaty and not sure why it works but seemed to help)
- Gaviscon (contains sodium alginate which forms a protective layer above the stomach)
- Avoiding resistant starch and eating Peaty

I used to love all kinds of sour drinks but had to give them up for a year. A gin & tonic would make me feel horrible, for example, as did IPA beers. I still drank coffee and orange juice, however.

While abroad, I had another episode of burning throat and went to the pharmacy to buy anti-acids or something. Due to a bit of a language barrier, however, the woman at the counter gave me a product called Iberogast, which is a blend of essential oils basically. I took 10 drops of it and within 20 minutes I started feeling horrible. I had a fever for two days and felt like I was sh***ing out my insides. I was sure the pharmacist had misunderstood my issue and given me the wrong product and I didn't touch the stuff again for a long time.

It was only long afterwards that I realized what I had experienced was most likely a Herxheimer reaction from bacterial die-off, and that something had been wrong with my gut and this stuff basically flushed it out. It also seemed to relieve the LPR issues (though I didn't realize it at the time), which made me think there's a connection between SIBO and LPR. I never had the same reaction from Iberogast again, but I did try oregano oil and it produced a milder version of the same thing. I would feel terrible for 6-12 hours and then I'd feel much better. I still use oregano oil occasionally, along with activated charchoal when I feel gastric upset. Another product to try is N-Acetyl-Cysteine, a biofilm disruptor, which can be handy with getting rid of bad bacteria.

TL;DR: Try the usual stuff (baking soda, sleeping on your left side, melatonin, gaviscon, avoiding sour things) but also try to clean your gut from bad bacteria. It's probably all connected. Hope this helps.

Don

Thanks for the info. Did you ever look at the fast track diet ? Its basically semi lowish carb diet in that certain foods (even peaty ones) have more fibre the bacteria love and this creates gas that pushes valves open releasing acid and pepsin to the throat. It for sure helps my symptoms but not a miracle cure for me.

Elliebean

Thanks for the info. Did you ever look at the fast track diet ? Its basically semi lowish carb diet in that certain foods (even peaty ones) have more fibre the bacteria love and this creates gas that pushes valves open releasing acid and pepsin to the throat. It for sure helps my symptoms but not a miracle cure for me.
While I haven’t cured my LPR completely I have improved it dramatically by following a low acid diet. As a result I no longer lose my voice, have to keep clearing my throat, get earache, an intermittent tickly cough and a yucky taste in my mouth.

Don

While I haven’t cured my LPR completely I have improved it dramatically by following a low acid diet. As a result I no longer lose my voice, have to keep clearing my throat, get earache, an intermittent tickly cough and a yucky taste in my mouth.
thats awesome news ! ill maybe give it a try again.

Elliebean

thats awesome news ! ill maybe give it a try again.
It didn’t happen overnight. I had to stick with it for a few months and I was very strict to begin with. I’m a little more relaxed now, although I still avoid high acid foods like citrus and vinegar. I hope it works for you!

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
I cured my LPR by getting rid of my H Pylori. I tested negative for H Pylori on 4 tests- endoscopy, blood test, breath test and a common stool test and then tested positive on the GI Map stool test.

Don

It didn’t happen overnight. I had to stick with it for a few months and I was very strict to begin with. I’m a little more relaxed now, although I still avoid high acid foods like citrus and vinegar. I hope it works for you!
can you kindly give me some of the foods you DONT eat while peating that works for you ? thanks.

KCM

so you inject yourself with this ?

There's an oral solution from BioPrime that claim to have a "liquid stable BPC" but I haven't extensively researched the difference between that and SubQ injection. Definitely worth a shot if it'll get rid of LPR. I know your post lists out some symptoms but could you list all of them? I definitely suspect I have SIBO (I have LIBO confirmed through GI map) and my main symptom seems to be LPR/Heartburn/belching/Shortness of breath. Chest burning/tightness happens from inflammation of constantly releasing gas and spitting acid up in the process. I don't actually know how gas is released exactly - does it come into the esophagus from the stomach and then get pressurised out? or does it get squeezed all the way from the stomach to the mouth? I definitely feel like my symptoms flare around certain foods like steak, Really not sure what to do about it. I tried zinc carnosine but I mistakenly took it with my meals and not before so I don't know if any healing went on. I stopped because my zinc was out of range on a blood test.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals