Cured from lactose intolerance

Starship

It took me 2 months to completely cure my mild to medium lactose intolerance. I was only buying the same brand of skim milk from the same place. Milk used to give me bad bloating, discomfort and a lot of gas. I didn't start drinking small amounts, but I kept drinking half a gallon a day and I was suffering for 1st month. Don't ask me why I kept drinking that much, I don't know. Lactose intolerance was progressively getting better. Today, I quickly drank half a gallon of milk to check for intolerance and then I had another quart couple hours later. I don't even have gas anymore. Absolutely zero symptoms of lactose intolerance at this point. I'm cured.

@Starship That's great, have also heard others titrate milk consumption with same result :):, it's great when you feel normal.

PolishSun

I am happy that it worked for someone, but I know a person, who tried the same way for a few months, ad after severe diarrhea for a few months, he got very malnourished and sick.

MidBicep

It took me 2 months to completely cure my mild to medium lactose intolerance. I was only buying the same brand of skim milk from the same place. Milk used to give me bad bloating, discomfort and a lot of gas. I didn't start drinking small amounts, but I kept drinking half a gallon a day and I was suffering for 1st month. Don't ask me why I kept drinking that much, I don't know. Lactose intolerance was progressively getting better. Today, I quickly drank half a gallon of milk to check for intolerance and then I had another quart couple hours later. I don't even have gas anymore. Absolutely zero symptoms of lactose intolerance at this point. I'm cured.
I'm in almost the same boat. I drink 2 litres a day as well, but I find that if I drink it without sugar and/or don't let enough time pass since the last time I drank it I will get diarrhea. However, it seems in the last couple days that I've started added some foods back in, oranges or orange juice seem to help with avoiding diarrhea (possibly the fiber? I was 0 fiber before) and yesterday I tried well cooked peel white potatoes mashed with the milk, and even though I didn't get any diarrhea at all, I was bloated all day and felt like crap, so no more potatoes.

Perry Staltic

I don't even have gas anymore. Absolutely zero symptoms of lactose intolerance at this point. I'm cured.

Yay! Gut issues are horrible. Sounds like a gradual change to your gut microbiome happened. I've started experimenting with non-D-lactate (predominantly) producing probiotics and lactobacillus bulgaricus and streptococcus thermophilus (yogurt starter). Homemade yogurt is easy to make and delicious. I stay away from l. acidophilus because it produces mostly D-lactate.

The two main bacteria that are the basis of probiotic yogurts are the strains Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus bulgaricus. Of these two Lactobacillus bulgaricus had the most beneficial affect on lactose intolerance.

Streptococcus thermophilus is another strain that has also been identified as helping to breakdown lactose
. So, the next time your in the supermarket looking for the best probiotics for lactose intolerance symptoms make sure your check the label for these two strains.

Unknownuser

Now that you mention. I did not have lactose intolerance 2 years ago. But because of the fodmap diet I switched to lactose free milk and yoghurt. Now I cant have normal milk anymore. I get horrible gas. I think same goes for the gluten free fraction. Body stops producing enzymes to digest these.

OP
Starship

Starship

I am happy that it worked for someone, but I know a person, who tried the same way for a few months, ad after severe diarrhea for a few months, he got very malnourished and sick.
I didn't have diarrhea to begin with, so my intolerance wasn't that severe

Greg

Im happy for you. It may be however also due to adaptation of gut microbiota, not necessarily the lactase is doing the work

Greg

A problem in this method may be being subject to much endotoxin during the "adaptation period"

Dennis

Given that getting rid of lactose intolerance appears to be extremely difficult ( even I tried) for most people, why should we continue to believe that it is possible? Is it because Ray said so? Listening to Ray's interviews I got to admit that I often have a hard time understanding the clear takeaway. Milk digestibility is one of them. From what I remember he says that ultimately everyone will become tolerant to milk if they drink it frequently enough.

If fully understand when he says that context is everything, but in this case it shouldn't be so complicated, should it?

Last edited:

Apple

Why to not replace milk with the equivalent amount of cheese ? Concetrated sourse of proteins and calcium, less water and less volume, kind of predigested with bacteria, tolerable by most people...why does ray peat want for people to go through all the agony of adapting to digest milk ? (only humans drink milk of other animals, after all milk did not make maasai people immortal)

MidBicep

Given that getting rid of lactose intolerance appears to be extremely difficult to get rid off ( even I tried) for most people, why should we continue to believe that it is possible? Is it because Ray said so? Listening to Ray's interviews I got to admit that I often have a hard time understanding the clear takeaway. Milk digestibility is one of them. From what I remember he says that ultimately everyone will become tolerant to milk if they drink it frequently enough.

If fully understand when he says that context is everything, but in this case it shouldn't be so complicated, should it?
My approach is that whenever you introduce a new food to your diet there will be a period of time until everything runs smoothly, but if it's a good food your body will send you signals to keep on eating that food. For me, milk warms me up, has cleared my acne, has improved my BO, has improved my mood, has improved my sleep and has probably given other benefits as well. Even the digestion part is not a black and white situation in my opinion. Over my journey I've seen improvements regarding frequency, gas, bloating, diarrhea and all that stuff.
Why to not replace milk with the equivalent amount of cheese ? Concetrated sourse of proteins and calcium, less water and less volume, kind of predigested with bacteria, tolerable by most people...why does ray peat want for people to go through all the agony of adapting to digest milk ? (only humans drink milk of other animals, after all milk did not make maasai people immortal)
For me it's macros. Cheese has no sugars and doesn't warm me up like milk. Also milk is a 'vessel' to add more sucrose and coffee to my day, since I hate just coffee with sugar and I'd rather drink it black than just adding sugar. Finally, I live in the city and I'd rather not drink too much tap water, so I have to get my liquids in some way.

OP
Starship

Starship

Given that getting rid of lactose intolerance appears to be extremely difficult to get rid off ( even I tried) for most people, why should we continue to believe that it is possible? Is it because Ray said so? Listening to Ray's interviews I got to admit that I often have a hard time understanding the clear takeaway. Milk digestibility is one of them. From what I remember he says that ultimately everyone will become tolerant to milk if they drink it frequently enough.

I don't know, but it worked for me without too much issues. Though, I was very good at digesting milk before I stopped drinking it for about 18 months and I didn't have severe symptoms of lactose intolerance such as diarrhea.

Greg

According to a summary of studies posted here Can Lactose Intolerant Individuals Adapt to Enjoy Milk or Dairy Foods?
the adaptation to lactose is through change in colonic bacteria, and lactase secretion doesn't change.
The other possibility may be that adequate lactase secretion is prevented by some damage to the small intestine (due to food, parasites). Once this damage is removed, lactase secretion may resume. However, in this case, it is addressing the problem and not increasing lactose consumption that will help.

P

Peatness

Has anyone notice that lactase tables acts like a calcium channel blocker? When I take one my scalps starts releasing, the same happens in my spine. It feels exactly like when I take cyproheptadine which is also a mild calcium channel blocker. I have been drinking milk for 4 years yet I believe I am still lactose intolerant