curds and whey

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by CountryDame, Apr 5, 2013.

1. CountryDame

CountryDame New Member

I found Dr. Peat when I became curious about Dr John Lee's mentor, whom he described as "some kind of genius."

I have my own goat milk, and have stopped making yogurt. Now I am using Fromase a microbial coagulant that separates the milk into curds and whey. When I drain the whey I am disposing of the tryptophan and the lactose. I'm not able to digest much lactose without gastric trouble. I tested the pH of the freshly drawn millk and the curds after draining: both readings were 6.2 pH. So I don't think there is Lactic acid being produced, but how can I tell for sure?

I have lipomas: fatty deposits under the skin in various places and it seems to me that lipase and lipolysis should be helpful??

2. Birdie

Birdie Member

That's a great way to come into studying Peat!!

I can tell you that for regular cottage cheese that you buy in the market, Ray advises rinsing it to remove the lactic acid. I keep rinsing until the water runs almost clear. It takes a while. I don't really know the answer to your questions but maybe that helps. It does sound like you should email Peat! Good questions for him.

3. Jenn

Jenn Member

If you are making a quick (fresh) cheese, there isn't going to be much lactic acid yet. lactic acid build up as it ages.