Curcumin NO Scavenger

jjhotcakes

I believe that Peat is not in favor of polyphenols in general, and I think I've read some unfavorable comments from Peat regarding curcumin, though I don't have the references on hand. Still, curcumin, particularly in the form of turmeric, has a long history of medicinal use as an anti-inflammatory, and recent research has suggested that it may have anti-cancer effects. Anyway, I came across this abstract that claims that curcumin demonstrates NO scavenging effects. That could explain some of it's potential benefits, and it would explain those benefits from a Peat perspective.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract

mas

I think BLACK CUMIN aka Nigella Sativa would be in this category. I got the oil and the only downside is that it tastes terrible!!

KMUD Nitric Oxide 2014

HD: Recently people are talking about an Asian herb, I think one of the names is Black cumin, but it contains thymol quinone. And the quinones are, I think, the essential; model of the protective pro-oxidant stabilising chemical, and thymol quinone is considered to be a very powerful anti-inflammatory. And I suspect that it will turn out to be acting against excess nitric oxide.

HD: It's a free radical quencher again isn't it, the quinones?

RP: Yeah, that's just one of their many...they seem to activate the right kind of oxidation whilst quenching the bad kind.

Dean

Actually turmeric root seems to be turning up in grocery stores now. A lot of Peat's concerns about spices seem to be more about the processing methods. DIY, I say. Say goodbye to your white kitchen counters though. I saw vendors at markets in Cambodia pounding the roots into powder. Messy business.

ddjd

I think BLACK CUMIN aka Nigella Sativa would be in this category. I got the oil and the only downside is that it tastes terrible!!

KMUD Nitric Oxide 2014

HD: Recently people are talking about an Asian herb, I think one of the names is Black cumin, but it contains thymol quinone. And the quinones are, I think, the essential; model of the protective pro-oxidant stabilising chemical, and thymol quinone is considered to be a very powerful anti-inflammatory. And I suspect that it will turn out to be acting against excess nitric oxide.

HD: It's a free radical quencher again isn't it, the quinones?

RP: Yeah, that's just one of their many...they seem to activate the right kind of oxidation whilst quenching the bad kind.
High in PUFA

Obi-wan

curcumin/turmeric gave me an upset stomach and headache. As soon as I stopped taking it the symptoms stopped. I think @Travis said it does not digest well

mmb82

Anyway, I came across this abstract that claims that curcumin demonstrates NO scavenging effects. That could explain some of it's potential benefits, and it would explain those benefits from a Peat perspective.

Turmeric/curcumin has been shown to chelate iron and, I may be wrong, but iron overload affects NO levels. By that logic, the removal of excess iron would be a "more encompassing" explanation of the benefits of curcumin that are in line with Peat's views. At minimum, the iron chelation aspect is another benefit of using curcumin.

curcumin/turmeric gave me an upset stomach and headache. As soon as I stopped taking it the symptoms stopped. I think @Travis said it does not digest well

In addition to black pepper (mentioned by lisaferraro), turmeric absorption is also enhanced by: a) fat and b) foods with quercetin...red onions and coffee are two I can think of off the top of my head.
Applying turmeric/curcumin topically is also an option for those who don't digest it well, but I can imagine it stains any and everything it touches with yellow.

Travis

It's actually absorbed in very low amounts; it is notorious for this effect, even to the point of chemical modifications being made to counteract it. After ingesting gram amounts, plasma concentrations are usually undetectable (and are to be found in nanomolar concentrations even when they are). But as noted above, piperine has been shown to increase absorption by inhibiting enzymes that'd otherwise tend to exclude it (from circulation).

'A major component of the Piper species id the alkaloid piperine (l-piperoylpiprtidine), which had been reported to enhance the bioavailability of drugs by inhibition of glucuronidation in the liver and small intestine (9).' ―Shoba

'Based on these data and expected tissue concentrations of inhibitors, we predict that an orally administered curcuminoid/piperine combination is most likely to inhibit CYP3A, CYP2C9, UGT, and SULT metabolism within the intestinal mucosa.' Volak

piperine2.png piperine.png click to embiggen

'Piperine, found in the extract of black pepper, enhances the relative oral bioavailability of curcuminoids by as much as 20-fold in healthy human volunteers (Shoba et al., 1998).' Volak

piperidine.png

'Serum levels’ of curcumin when given alone were either very low or undetectable at most time points in most subjects, explaining he almost flat serum concentration curve (Fig. 2). However, when piperine was added the serum concentrations of curcumin were significantly increased at the time points up to 0.75h;' ―Shoba
It sounds as if piperidine could transiently decrease steroid elimination, but the effects should taper-off rather quickly— within an hour. But since the black pepper spice is very common among Westerners, one should be aware of its ability of inhibit cytochrome 3A4 in particular— that is, at mega-doses (Volak, 2008).

Last edited:
B

Braveheart

with a teaspoon of coconut oil in my raw milk coffee for breakfast...along w 1 egg and 1oz raw cheese and black pepper...no problem w curc/tum...think it needs a little fat for digestion

Last edited by a moderator:

Obi-wan

I'm scared off for now

akgrrrl

I have posted this before but it seems a reprise here could be timely.
Warming, soothing, delicious..
Boiling water poured over a spoon of honey, big spoon of coconut cream (replete with oil on top, Aunt Patties is the one I use), coupla drops black pepper oil, and one spoon this dry mix: equal parts blended turmeric powder, organic dried ginger powder, Ceylon cinnamon.