Cucumber salad, etc

BingDing

Wimpy by the last few recipes, but...

My mom made a couple peaty things.

Sliced cucumbers with diluted vinegar and sugar. Even as a kid I thought the sugar was weird, but it's a tasty summer side dish.

Potato pancakes. I'd be surprised if Jenn hasn't already posted this, just mashed potatoes formed into cakes and fried in coconut oil.

I've been seduced into milk with black cherry juice, it's better than candy. No Vit C in the juice, though.

Milk with honey and pear juice is pretty tasty, if you can take pear juice.

I tried milk and OJ with chocolate ice cream, can't really recommend it. Chocolate and orange are classic flavors together, but this didn't work.

narouz

All those seeds in the cukes, tho... :?
I'm not goin' all holier than thou, tho...I just ate one. :cry:

OP
BingDing

BingDing

It's funny you mention that, narouz. I have always peeled them and cut them longwise and scooped the seeds out. Just seems right. We don't eat that part of a cantaloupe, either. ;)

narouz

BingDing said:
It's funny you mention that, narouz. I have always peeled them and cut them longwise and scooped the seeds out. Just seems right. We don't eat that part of a cantaloupe, either. ;)

Damn you're good. :lol:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
BingDing said:
Yeah, me too. I was born and raised in the same region of the country that you have listed as your locale. I wonder if that is unique to the area?

pboy

lol, cantaloupe or cucumber?!?!? I think its wise to remove the seeds from both! I like to scoop the seeds out of the cantaloupe and also remove the pectin like fibers just under it...I guess people might interpret that (narouz) as holier than thou, but when they are having gas or irritation and you aren't...well, they might change their perspective if they knew. I think Peat mentioned that if you don't chew the seeds of fruits they'll harmlessly pass through...but it seems weird to me to swallow whole seeds...lol, not weird mentally, it makes sense, but the mouthfeel throws me off.
I used to juice fruits and veggies as a job in the past...and id see all the pulp material I was throwing away...and its kind of funny, cause...it shows basically what your gut would extract from the food and what would be left for potential fermentation...and its kind of scary once you realize...its like whoa...id only eat maybe 1 or 2 at the most, yet the juice requires 8-10 fruits or whatever it may be. Ive seen footage of gorillas in nature peeling and kind of just sucking the nectar out of succulent stems, so I wonder if its actually normal in nature to kind of discard fibers when possible. People would ask me why I always buy juice and never eat the fruit, assuming the fiber was benefical for the colon or whatever theve heard...and id just respond with, it either ends up in the compost here now or in the septic tank, and I don't wanna be carrying it around all day if I don't have to

OP
BingDing

BingDing

Blossom said:
BingDing said:
Yeah, me too. I was born and raised in the same region of the country that you have listed as your locale. I wonder if that is unique to the area?

Prolly not, Blossom. I grew up as an Army brat, just moved to TN cause there is no state income tax; a nice boost in take home pay since I work at home.

My mom was born and raised in NYC and had the misfortune of marrying a guy from downstate Illinois. Yeesh. She liked sugar on her cantaloupe and he liked salt on his. They had screaming arguments about which was "right".

It's funny to think back about it. If ever a divorce was appropriate, that marriage was it. But they stuck it out to the bitter end.