Crying Child

Luna

Which scenario would you choose?
a) remove the cause of crying.
b) dehydrate child so that there are not enough water to form tears.
c) say to the child "I will give you a candy, if you stop crying.".
d) say to the child "I will punish you now, if you keep crying.".

tara

Depending on context (eg whether they are crying about something that is over or current, or something harmful or necessary, or whether I/s/he have time available or not), a), e) or f).
e) listen to and/or hold child till they have cried enough "ooh that knee looks sore", then help them find sth else to do/talk/think about.
f) get on with what I'm doing and let them get on with what they are doing "sorry you're not enjoying that x, but you are going to have to do it anyway".

DankMemes

Not a parent, but I've got 5 younger siblings.

I agree with Tara. If a child is throwing a tantrum or misbehaving, then giving them attention by doing either C or D may reinforce that behaviour

If they are hurt or upset, the I'd choose A.

DaveFoster

G) Hang crib on a tree like certain Native Americans until crying ceases.

In all seriousness, tara is more understanding.

OP
Luna

Luna

To summarize strategies:
a) Remove the cause of the problem.
b) Deplete the set of molecules causing the symptoms.
c) Provide a set of molecules to alleviate the symptoms.
d) Provide a set of molecules to decimate the symptoms.
e) Talk about the symptoms until the symptoms subsides.
f) Sorry you have a problem or a symptom, can't help you with that.
g) Place the problem on hold and ignore it.

Tarmander

Crying itself is not a problem, everyone does it to release a certain type of energy. Eventually there will be no more crying to be done. I would say all your options are good depending on the context with the exception of dehydration. Damaging the health of your child with restriction or drugs is a bad fix for behaviors. Works now, problems later.

OP
Luna

Luna

Does PUFA, belong to strategy a), b), c)... g)?

marsaday

You sound like a robot and so i assume the child is looking for empathy which you are not providing. You must engage with your child and talk to it (even if they are not speaking yet). Always have eye contact and talk in a measured voice, even if the crying is annoying. Cuddles and touch are important.

Do not punish, bribery is a useful tool, or other positive distraction. Try get into the childs world. They want everything now and only think of themselves. If they are upsetting you, tell them they are upsetting you. Try and engage with them on that one to one level. You will develop a stronger bond, but it is hard work.

I speak as a dad of a 2 1/2 y/o and she has breakdowns and tantrums every few days.

OP
Luna

Luna

replacing the word child with yourself
replacing the word crying with inflammatory response:

Why would anyone ingest supplements or drugs, that they may habituate to, need additional strengths, or more of the materials, as in c), d).
Why would anyone deplete PUFAs? as in b).

Why not address the cause of the problem? as in a).

Ignoring, and talking to the inflammatory response, with bandages and or talk, as in e), f), g), h) does not get anywhere.

M

marikay

You sound like a robot and so i assume the child is looking for empathy which you are not providing. You must engage with your child and talk to it (even if they are not speaking yet). Always have eye contact and talk in a measured voice, even if the crying is annoying. Cuddles and touch are important.

Do not punish, bribery is a useful tool, or other positive distraction. Try get into the childs world. They want everything now and only think of themselves. If they are upsetting you, tell them they are upsetting you. Try and engage with them on that one to one level. You will develop a stronger bond, but it is hard work.

I speak as a dad of a 2 1/2 y/o and she has breakdowns and tantrums every few days.

+1

Simonsays

Home

Not everything is related to diet. Try empathy!

:goodpost

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals