Crown Prince Smoked Oysters. Worth To Order?

Uselis

There've been thread about but answers were mixed up. Some said cans contained some toxic metals, others were of opinion that smoked oysters doesn't offer much nutrition wise. Thread kind of old so decided create new one.

I am from Europe so shipping will cost 7 euro. Naturally I'd like to order a lot to cover shipping costs.

Any long term experiences?

Energizer

Short answer: Yes.

I have been eating them off and on for years. They are from managed fisheries in South Korea. I don't think they are necessarily ideal, but they are convenient. The smoking seems to make them less slimy. If I stop eating them for a while I don't feel as good. I don't think the heavy metals are much of a concern, the copper should block iron absorption, coffee with them should help inhibit iron absorption further. The smoking might destroy some nutrients, but they still seem to have enough nutrients anyway so it doesn't really matter.

OP
U

Uselis

Short answer: Yes.

I have been eating them off and on for years. They are from managed fisheries in South Korea. I don't think they are necessarily ideal, but they are convenient. The smoking seems to make them less slimy. If I stop eating them for a while I don't feel as good. I don't think the heavy metals are much of a concern, the copper should block iron absorption, coffee with them should help inhibit iron absorption further. The smoking might destroy some nutrients, but they still seem to have enough nutrients anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Thanks!

How many of those you eat a day?

Maljam

Do you have oysters in grocery store close by for cheaper? If so, I would just go for those instead cost wise.

Energizer

Thanks!

How many of those you eat a day?

I just have one can a week, sometimes two. But someone might crave / need more.

Do you have oysters in grocery store close by for cheaper? If so, I would just go for those instead cost wise.

Yes, some grocery stores stock Crown Prince, but usually they seem to only carry a few cans at a time from what I have seen. If you go to the grocery store often and they carry it, maybe it would be cheaper that way, I'm not sure.

Maljam

I just have one can a week, sometimes two. But someone might crave / need more.

Yes, some grocery stores stock Crown Prince, but usually they seem to only carry a few cans at a time from what I have seen. If you go to the grocery store often and they carry it, maybe it would be cheaper that way, I'm not sure.

Sorry, I was meaning I think non crown prince would be fine. For the frequency people should be eating them, and all the oil goes in the bin anyway, the amount left on the oysters is negligible, I would pick a cheaper brand at a supermarket than pay for 7 euro shipping.

OP
U

Uselis

Sorry, I was meaning I think non crown prince would be fine. For the frequency people should be eating them, and all the oil goes in the bin anyway, the amount left on the oysters is negligible, I would pick a cheaper brand at a supermarket than pay for 7 euro shipping.

Unfortunately no oysters where I live. Plenty of mussels but if I'd be oyster fanatic I'd have to travel 100km and pay like 5efor couple of them.

Maljam

Unfortunately no oysters where I live. Plenty of mussels but if I'd be oyster fanatic I'd have to travel 100km and pay like 5efor couple of them.

Got you. Well there are plenty of people that are healthy that never eat oysters, don't think your health relies on them, although they can be useful and I'm not saying don't eat them.

Energizer

Indeed quite a pitiful amount of copper, if someone was just eating mussels and no oysters were available they'd probably have to get their copper through just liver

Last edited:

LA

Are you looking at the "Naturally Smoked Oysters in Pure Olive Oil" or another product? I cannot remember the exact wording on the Crown Prince Smoked Oysters I used to purchase back in the 1980s. I enjoyed them; no problem. HOWEVER, on 4/15/2019 we ordered a can online as part of a larger order. We could not finish the can. They tasted terrible. I cannot recommend them. We did not complain to the seller nor the manufacturer, the date of expiration was fine, there were no dents in the can. We will *never* order them again. Try shopping at a local market. Some Olive Oil is bad so that may have been the problem.

Jessie

Yeah, they're packed in olive oil instead of vegetable oil. So when you drain them they should have only have trace amounts of PUFA in them. I get the ones by Pacific Pearl, they're smoked oysters packed in water, no oil at all.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals