Crohn's Disease

LucH

"Marshall has noted that any intracellular
bacteria capable of producing a substance that blocks the VDR would have an effective strategy for disabling the immune system.
Yes, some bacteria are able to desactivate immune reaction of VDR. Not all bacteria. Often when microbiome is unbalanced ...

Amazoniac

Patients that have auto-immune diseases tend to have high 1,25D:

View attachment 16046

Not sure having low 25D in your blood means that you should supplement.
Even though I tend to agree that it's a reason to be wary (4food, 2018), not sure if having high killcitriol in the blood means that you shouldn't supplement either. What guarantees that increasing killcidiol will also result in a similar elevation of killcitriol? And if this happens, can it be beneficial? Why is the body not degrading it? It seems that higher is desirable and perhaps what's required the person to do is to back it up (instead of removing like you know who does).

It may very well turn into an excuse to go hippie and not do anything about it since it's always where it's supposed to be. I mean, how low it has to be for someone to intervene?

Killcidiol is less active as genomic activator but circulates at much greater amounts that this aspect makes up for it. It wouldn't make sense to metabolize it further, but maybe it's not intentional. It's something else to consider.

On the other hand, what's the explanation for it to remain at a certain level despite abundant sun exposure? There's now the justification of low cholesterol levels on skin, this may be true, but how often it occurs? A daily synthesis would require only 100 mcg for example, and what's the content of atherosclerol in the upper layers of the skin?

If it's low on purpose, it's quite counterproductive to push it higher because even if the hyperkillcemia is only transient, as soon as run out of other nutrients that are important for immunity, you'll be in trouble. What's the point of having a higher level of this crap if you can't do anything with it because it depleted magnesium, ascourgic acid, taurine, and so on?

But there's the following publication..

- Vitamin D metabolites are lower with active Crohn’s disease and spontaneously recover with development of remission

upload_2019-12-23_19-57-11.png

"When assessing the metabolism of vitamin D3 levels of 24,25(OH)2D3 were significantly lower in participants with active disease. This was contrary to our original hypothesis which proposed that active inflammation would lead to catabolism of 25(OH)D3, resulting in increased concentrations of 24,25(OH)2D3. One explanation could be that in the setting of active inflammation there is relative 25(OH)D3 deficiency which leads to reduced catabolism to maintain levels of circulating 25(OH)D3, and the metabolically active 1,25(OH)2D3, which were not different between the groups in our study. When disease activity improved, levels of 24,25(OH)2D3 returned to levels that were similar to those seen in patients who remained with inactive disease throughout the study period."

"Participants who achieved clinical remission during the study period experienced a spontaneous and significant increase in 25(OH)D3 levels to a level considered in the sufficient range, even after controlling for baseline levels, sunlight and dietary intake. This is consistent with a study of 37 patients with CD, where an early increase in serum 25(OH) D3 was observed in those responding to tumour necrosis factor (TNF) inhibitors. This is an important observation, as it supports the concept of 25(OH)D3 being a negative acute-phase reactant rather than a driver of disease activity. Indeed, studies have suggested that vitamin D sufficiency improves the likelihood of achieving remission in CD with TNF inhibitors.[24] While this may be possible, it is also possible that those patients with higher 25(OH)D3 levels have less inflammatory burden and thus, are more likely to respond to biological therapy and by treating the underlying inflammation, 25(OH)D3 concentrations are able to spontaneously recover. Another potential mechanism for the improved 25(OH)D3 concentrations is that in the setting of intestinal inflammation, there may be partial vitamin D malabsorption which is corrected with improvement of underlying inflammation. Certainly, in our cohort of patients with active CD, 59% had ileal inflammation (Montreal L3) and resolution of this inflammation may have contributed to the findings seen in this study."​

It suggests conservation and why do this if it had in excess? Values should've been at least equal or higher for disposal.

It's not to deny an infectious origin, but that it will increase your need for nutrition, which can play a rôle in resolution. Until you have a better idea of what you're dealing with and provided that it's not an emergency, I think that it's better to avoid random antibiotic drug use because it's not risk-free.

Mhtro

Hey man, I also have Chrons.

I got diagnosed at the end of this summer (Around August 2019) and lately, I've been having some weird side effects when taking mesalazine, my lips swole up is the one I have noticed, did you ever experience that?

I also wanted to add that I ordered some probiotic's and I am gonna order some enzyme supplements, I am going to order some boron supplements so hopefully, I get better.

Do you by any chance have any specific diet recommendations? I have asked plenty of doctors and almost none give me any special diet advice, they only say "if you know something messes you up don't eat it".

I know this was your question thread but I am fairly new to this and would love some help : )

LLight

Even though I tend to agree that it's a reason to be wary (4food, 2018), not sure if having high killcitriol in the blood means that you shouldn't supplement either. What guarantees that increasing killcidiol will also result in a similar elevation of killcitriol? And if this happens, can it be beneficial? Why is the body not degrading it? It seems that higher is desirable and perhaps what's required the person to do is to back it up (instead of removing like you know who does).

It may very well turn into an excuse to go hippie and not do anything about it since it's always where it's supposed to be. I mean, how low it has to be for someone to intervene?

Killcidiol is less active as genomic activator but circulates at much greater amounts that this aspect makes up for it. It wouldn't make sense to metabolize it further, but maybe it's not intentional. It's something else to consider.

On the other hand, what's the explanation for it to remain at a certain level despite abundant sun exposure? There's now the justification of low cholesterol levels on skin, this may be true, but how often it occurs? A daily synthesis would require only 100 mcg for example, and what's the content of atherosclerol in the upper layers of the skin?

If it's low on purpose, it's quite counterproductive to push it higher because even if the hyperkillcemia is only transient, as soon as run out of other nutrients that are important for immunity, you'll be in trouble. What's the point of having a higher level of this crap if you can't do anything with it because it depleted magnesium, ascourgic acid, taurine, and so on?

But there's the following publication..

- Vitamin D metabolites are lower with active Crohn’s disease and spontaneously recover with development of remission

"When assessing the metabolism of vitamin D3 levels of 24,25(OH)2D3 were significantly lower in participants with active disease. This was contrary to our original hypothesis which proposed that active inflammation would lead to catabolism of 25(OH)D3, resulting in increased concentrations of 24,25(OH)2D3. One explanation could be that in the setting of active inflammation there is relative 25(OH)D3 deficiency which leads to reduced catabolism to maintain levels of circulating 25(OH)D3, and the metabolically active 1,25(OH)2D3, which were not different between the groups in our study. When disease activity improved, levels of 24,25(OH)2D3 returned to levels that were similar to those seen in patients who remained with inactive disease throughout the study period."

"Participants who achieved clinical remission during the study period experienced a spontaneous and significant increase in 25(OH)D3 levels to a level considered in the sufficient range, even after controlling for baseline levels, sunlight and dietary intake. This is consistent with a study of 37 patients with CD, where an early increase in serum 25(OH) D3 was observed in those responding to tumour necrosis factor (TNF) inhibitors. This is an important observation, as it supports the concept of 25(OH)D3 being a negative acute-phase reactant rather than a driver of disease activity. Indeed, studies have suggested that vitamin D sufficiency improves the likelihood of achieving remission in CD with TNF inhibitors.[24] While this may be possible, it is also possible that those patients with higher 25(OH)D3 levels have less inflammatory burden and thus, are more likely to respond to biological therapy and by treating the underlying inflammation, 25(OH)D3 concentrations are able to spontaneously recover. Another potential mechanism for the improved 25(OH)D3 concentrations is that in the setting of intestinal inflammation, there may be partial vitamin D malabsorption which is corrected with improvement of underlying inflammation. Certainly, in our cohort of patients with active CD, 59% had ileal inflammation (Montreal L3) and resolution of this inflammation may have contributed to the findings seen in this study."​

It suggests conservation and why do this if it had in excess? Values should've been at least equal or higher for disposal.

It's not to deny an infectious origin, but that it will increase your need for nutrition, which can play a rôle in resolution. Until you have a better idea of what you're dealing with and provided that it's not an emergency, I think that it's better to avoid random antibiotic drug use because it's not risk-free.

Disclaimer: I "follow" the line of thought of Trevor Marshall, at least his pathogenesis which I find interesting. It seems like his protocol allowed some people to heal (Coimbra too, you will say). I won't do justice to his explanations so if you would like to hear his arguments (provided you do not know them yet), his theory about vitamin D is here.

For him, autoimmune diseases are caused by bacteria (there are a lot of studies correlating them) and 25D seems to be anti-inflammatory. And he wants inflammation/innate immune system activation to kill them. For him, the symptoms of the disease (or when it is active) is when the immune system is actually fighting the pathogens. So immune suppression does not cure the disease, it just delay the unavoidable moment you will have to deal with them.

I know it's just an hypothesis and that it's a bit against mainstream medicine ;), but the guy doesn't seem like a quack and knows some things about vitamin D.

Last edited:
Hi,
If you suspect bacterial overgrowth (besides IBS), I won't take nutrients that feed them:
No supplement with B3, nor any B complex, nor zinc nor iron ...
Only through foodstuff. Once a week is ok for supplementing B complex.
Bring some retinol (egg yolk and and chicken liver) twice a week and some vitamin D to improve bacterial defense. More often if through au supplement like Estroban (interaction with liposoluble vitamins).

Vitamins A and D are needed for:
- Antimicrobial peptides (AMPs). AMPs are small proteins that can disrupt microbial membranes, interfere with metabolism, and damage cell components.
- Lysozymes. Lysozymes are enzymes that damage bacterial cell walls by breaking down bonds in bacterial sugars (LPS membranes).
I would add some iodine from algues. 225 mg daily. Wait before adapting upwards twice (2-4 weeks).
- Iodine, the most effective halide for immune killing. When immune cells employ phagocytosis against infections, they strip iodine from thyroid hormone.
PS: Some selenium (from shrimps, white fish and red meat) is necessary before adapting iodine content for thyroid. Thyroid needs Mg Zn I Se.

Quality information LucH, thanks.

My girlfriend's mother has been living with gradually escalating Crohn's for +/-15 years. Now she just had a stroke. We may lose her this Christmas.

OP
gately

gately

Hey man, I also have Chrons.

I got diagnosed at the end of this summer (Around August 2019) and lately, I've been having some weird side effects when taking mesalazine, my lips swole up is the one I have noticed, did you ever experience that?

I also wanted to add that I ordered some probiotic's and I am gonna order some enzyme supplements, I am going to order some boron supplements so hopefully, I get better.

Do you by any chance have any specific diet recommendations? I have asked plenty of doctors and almost none give me any special diet advice, they only say "if you know something messes you up don't eat it".

I know this was your question thread but I am fairly new to this and would love some help : )

Wolfgang Lutz took his Crohn’s patients off starches (except for small amounts of potato or white rice) and kept their total carbohydrate content below 72 grams. It had like a 90% success rate. Buy his book Life Without Bread.

The Specific Carbohydrate Diet (I would buy the book: breaking the vicious cycle) allows for basically zero starch, but allows as much ripe fruit (cooked at first) as you want, and seems to also have a high success rate.

Somewhere between those two diets seems to induce remission for MOST people. I myself have zero crohn’s symptoms on fruit juice and meat. And I’m still tinkering to find a long term sustainable diet since I get too weird and wired on high fruit consumption. I do pretty well on the SCD, not perfect, but I have a very complicated case due to other health issues.

I find Pancreatin 8X very helpful with my meals. Maybe others would find benefit there.

My advice: do the specific carbohydrate diet EXACTLY as described in the book. Treat that book like your Bible for a month, and be strict. If that doesn’t work, stick to the same diet, but lower your total daily carbs below 72 grams for a few months and see if that resolves it.

Food allergy / sensitivity testing through Immuno Labs in Florida is not a bad idea for anyone with a health issue.

Jini Patel’s approach of using an elemental diet to induce remission, then treating it like an infection with Wild Oregano Oil seems to help some people. You can look her up, though I personally did not benefit from her approach.

If none of those approaches work then, from what I’ve seen, you’re the minority. At that point maybe looking into more extreme measures like the already mentioned Coimbra Protocol, Autoimmune focused Carnivore Diets / see Paleomedicina Clinic in Hungary, Jean Seignalet‘s diet, Klein’s fruitarian based diet for healing IBD, stuff like that.

If you lean more towards a Colitis situation, basically none of these suggestions are what I would do, btw. This advice is specifically for Crohn’s. For Colitis I think the most important thing is a whole food diet with fermented vegetables with meals and maybe raw dairy. With Crohn’s I personally think fermented foods are more of a potential hazard, though your own mileage may vary. A central difference between the two disease states is that someone with small intestinal injury can not tolerate whole grains like brown rice whereas someone with Colitis might actually find something like Brown Rice very healing, especially if they consumed it with some pickled veggies.

I don’t suggest probiotic pills. I think they are dangerous. Either make the SCD yogurt or eat fermented veggies (at your own risk).

A classic Peat style diet with Milk and OJ and lots of sugar would be be disastrous for most people with Crohn’s, so be weary of a lot of the advice given here. Everyone means well but not everyone knows how best to treat a disease like Crohn’s.

That said: there’s a tremendous amount of interesting conjectural advice in this thread alone to which I am grateful for. Treat it as a food for thought. But if you’re suffering with Crohn’s disease right now, I would ignore most of what’s been said: Do the SCD and then try Lutz’ approach.

I don’t think most supplements are helpful.

Try Pancreatin 8X with meals which might help a bit. Ox Bile might help a bit (be careful with this.) Rosita Cod Liver Oil in winter time is (maybe) a good idea, but probably not year round.

good luck.

Amazoniac

It's concerning that the metabolite mentioned before was lower when it was expected to be higher if the body wanted to dispose it, especially since killcitriol was elevated:
- Crohn's Disease
- Vitamin D Metabolism (Homo sapiens) - WikiPathways

On the possibility of not being intentional:
- Magnesium and metabolism of vitamin D -- Magnesium, vitamin D status and mortality: results from US National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2001 to 2006 and NHANES
- Domino effect of hypomagnesemia on the innate immunity of Crohn’s disease patients

However:
- Vitamin D status, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3, and the immune system

- Metabolic bone disease is present at diagnosis in patients with inflammatory bowel disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Osteoporosis

- Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

"If your vitamin D was very low for a long time, I think your parathyroid glands probably enlarged, and might take some time to normalize under the influence of a generous amount of vitamin D and calcium."​

- Inflammatory bowel disease: Beyond the boundaries of the bowel

There are adverse consequences reported from the use of olmesartan, but I have never looked into to know if there's something to them.

- Gastrointestinal Disorder Associated with Olmesartan Mimics Autoimmune Enteropathy
- Autoimmune-like chronic hepatitis induced by olmesartan

Kingpinguin

I have active Crohn's in my small intestine. My symptoms are pain, fever, and inflammation (I can literally feel a tennis ball sized pocket of inflammation in my gut sometimes, it comes and goes.) I don't get diareaha, and actually get constipation occasionally. I have tried A LOT of supplements and diets to try and achieve remission. Not a lot has helped.

Recently, I tried eating a diet of mostly meat (scrambled eggs with butter, bacon, steak, lamb) and fruit juice (100% pineapple and grape juice.) By the end of the day I was in far less pain usual. And I woke up the next morning in almost ZERO pain. It was remarkable. The problem was this: By the end of the first day, my feet were frozen and I was experiencing some mild panic. My sleep was horrible and nightmare filled. And I woke up having a panic attack and thinking I was going nuts.

Through experimenting so far I've found that consuming too much fruit juice throughout the day will replicate those symptoms.

I don't handle any starches well. White rice is perfect on my gut but gives me a weird adrenaline and insomnia type feeling, potatoes (cooked any way) eventually give me some kind of cumulative adrenaline feeling after a while (nightshade issues, I suspect) and don't work for my gut anyway. I recently tried toasted bread after being off it for a while and it made me ANRGY, like throwing ***t around the house angry (endotoxin? yeast allergy? who knows.)

Warm goat milk, flavored with some chocolate syrup really helps me sleep, but I haven't ascertained whether it wrecks my gut yet.

I tried a Carnivore style diet (mostly ribeye steaks) and while it did help my gut (not as quickly as the pineapple juice + meat, oddly enough) I felt awful after two weeks: dry skin, zero libido, chest pains.

My next idea is to try the meat and fruit diet but with whole fruits instead of fruit juice, but honestly I suspect the same issues. I think too much fructose is hard on me for some reason.

Open to hearing any and all ideas on resolving Crohn's disease. Thanks!

Vitamin D deficiency associated with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis: a meta-analysis of 55 observational studies | Journal of Translational Medicine | Full Text

LLight

There are adverse consequences reported from the use of olmesartan, but I have never looked into to know if there's something to them.

If Olmesartan does what Trevor Marshall claims, it could be immunopathologies. According to him, symptoms of auto-immune/inflammatory diseases correspond to period of immune system activation.

LLight

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4355235/

"NFAT5 expression is reduced in patients with inflammatory bowel disease

To determine whether the link between reduced NFAT5 expression and autoimmunity might be generalizable to other immune-mediated diseases, we examined NFAT5 mRNA expression in intestinal tissue biopsies from patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC), which together comprise IBD, are believed to result from an aberrant immune response to commensal gut microbes, leading to chronic intestinal inflammation. Compared to healthy controls, we observed that NFAT5 mRNA expression was significantly reduced in patients with active UC and CD (Fig. 7), raising the possibility that NFAT5 and other components of the osmoadaptation pathway may be dysregulated in IBD."

Some pathogens seem to be able to deactivate NFAT5: Cleavage of osmosensitive transcriptional factor NFAT5 by Coxsackieviral protease 2A promotes viral replication
"Bioinformatic prediction and verification of the predicted site by site-directed mutagenesis experiments determined that the NFAT5 protein was cleaved by CVB3 protease 2A at Glycine 503. Such cleavage led to the inactivation of NFAT5, and the 70-kDa N-terminal cleavage product (p70-NFAT5) exerted a dominant negative effect on the full-length NFAT5 protein. We further showed that elevated expression of NFAT5 to counteract viral protease cleavage, especially overexpression of a non-cleavable mutant of NFAT5, significantly inhibited CVB3 replication."

In my opinion: this reinforce the fact that Crohn's is due to pathogens surviving in your cells. They deactivate NFAT5 which downregulate your immune system.
You want to enforce NFAT5 activation. I think this could be possible by dry fasting and boron supplementation. It is rather independent from vitamin D.

Nemo

Haidut's just posted about Vit D for treating Crohn's: Vitamin D – the new antibiotic against skin and gut infections – To Extract Knowledge from Matter

Among other critical points, says a number of studies show Crohn's "has a very high-likelihood of being caused by the bacteria Mycobacterium paratuberculosis. In fact, studies have raised questions whether specific/exclusive diagnosis of either CD or tuberculosis are not in fact the same disease, thus calling for the treatment of CD as an infectious rather than as an 'autoimmune” condition.'"

Inaut

I think Georgi said something like 2-5000iu orally and the same amount topically applied to the belly.

LLight

Haidut's just posted about Vit D for treating Crohn's: Vitamin D – the new antibiotic against skin and gut infections – To Extract Knowledge from Matter

Among other critical points, says a number of studies show Crohn's "has a very high-likelihood of being caused by the bacteria Mycobacterium paratuberculosis. In fact, studies have raised questions whether specific/exclusive diagnosis of either CD or tuberculosis are not in fact the same disease, thus calling for the treatment of CD as an infectious rather than as an 'autoimmune” condition.'"

From the study he cites:
"However, in mouse CAMP transgenic macrophages, TLR activation in the presence of 25(OH)D3 did not induce expression of either CAMP or CYP27B1 as would normally occur in human macrophages, reinforcing important species differences in the actions of vitamin D. Transgenic mice did show increased resistance to colonization by Salmonella typhimurium in the gut. Furthermore, the human CAMP gene restored wound healing in the skin of Camp KO mice. Topical application of 1,25(OH)2vitamin D3 to the skin of CAMP transgenic mice induced CAMP expression and increased killing of Staphylococcus aureus in a wound infection model."

So it's the active form of vitamin D which activate the VDR and induce CAMP production, not vitamin D as the metabolite we produce from vitamin D3 supplements?

They state that "25(OH)D3 did not induce expression of either CAMP or CYP27B1 as would normally occur in human macrophages" but is it proven that the 25(OH)D3 is supposed to promote CAMP?

For example, from Cutting Edge: 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 Is a Direct Inducer of Antimicrobial Peptide Gene Expression

"1,25(OH)2D3 signals through the vitamin D receptor, a ligand-stimulated transcription factor that recognizes specific DNA sequences called vitamin D response elements. In this study, we show that 1,25(OH)2D3 is a direct regulator of antimicrobial innate immune responses."

If the 25(OH)D3 form (the one we obtain when we supplement) does not activate the VDR but bind to the receptor, supplementation could be counterproductive?

By the way, NFAT5, the transcription factor that can be lacking in Crohn's gut cells, is also involved in CAMP production:
"Prior knockdown of NFAT5 expression strongly repressed basal and hyperosmolality-induced CAMP expression (Figure 2B, C), indicating that CAMP expression is controlled by osmolality via a NFAT5-dependent mechanism."
Osmolality controls the expression of cathelicidin antimicrobial peptide in human macrophages

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but helpful. I found out that D3 taken on an empty stomach powerfully kills bacteria including H. Pylori.

Xemnoraq

I have active Crohn's in my small intestine. My symptoms are pain, fever, and inflammation (I can literally feel a tennis ball sized pocket of inflammation in my gut sometimes, it comes and goes.) I don't get diareaha, and actually get constipation occasionally. I have tried A LOT of supplements and diets to try and achieve remission. Not a lot has helped.

Recently, I tried eating a diet of mostly meat (scrambled eggs with butter, bacon, steak, lamb) and fruit juice (100% pineapple and grape juice.) By the end of the day I was in far less pain usual. And I woke up the next morning in almost ZERO pain. It was remarkable. The problem was this: By the end of the first day, my feet were frozen and I was experiencing some mild panic. My sleep was horrible and nightmare filled. And I woke up having a panic attack and thinking I was going nuts.

Through experimenting so far I've found that consuming too much fruit juice throughout the day will replicate those symptoms.

I don't handle any starches well. White rice is perfect on my gut but gives me a weird adrenaline and insomnia type feeling, potatoes (cooked any way) eventually give me some kind of cumulative adrenaline feeling after a while (nightshade issues, I suspect) and don't work for my gut anyway. I recently tried toasted bread after being off it for a while and it made me ANRGY, like throwing ***t around the house angry (endotoxin? yeast allergy? who knows.)

Warm goat milk, flavored with some chocolate syrup really helps me sleep, but I haven't ascertained whether it wrecks my gut yet.

I tried a Carnivore style diet (mostly ribeye steaks) and while it did help my gut (not as quickly as the pineapple juice + meat, oddly enough) I felt awful after two weeks: dry skin, zero libido, chest pains.

My next idea is to try the meat and fruit diet but with whole fruits instead of fruit juice, but honestly I suspect the same issues. I think too much fructose is hard on me for some reason.

Open to hearing any and all ideas on resolving Crohn's disease. Thanks!

Hi im not sure if i have crohns disease it was never confirmed but everything you mentioned and more lines up with my issues, terrible sleep, nightmares etc, cold extremeities, morning pains in the gut no diarrhea but constant constipation, a swollon spot inside around pancreas area that feels like a budlge, sometimes constant anxiety and fatigue, mental symptoms are the worst, and really bad aggresive reactions to food,

For me i have found that a predominantly liquid diet works well,

I do OJ everyday
Skim milk loaded with white sugar (to replace lost calories) and keep stress low

Sometimes very low fat cheese butnnot alot,

Soups made with low fiber veggies or gelatin,
Sometimes mangos with sugar on them

And supplements that work wonders are emodin, progesterone and dhea especially,

And i find the raw carrot works wonders,

As well as a tablespoon of coconut oil works amazing,

Ultimately for me i find doing anything that blocks cortisol and stress heals my gut issues, it got so bad in the past it felt like my whole gut and body was hardening and calcifying with fibrosis, since then ive learnt alot, i keep PUFA basically at zero personally just to not make matters worse, but i found a predominately liquid diet with some solid food like fruit or cheese and an insoluble fiber like carrot very helpful!

rob

Hi im not sure if i have crohns disease it was never confirmed but everything you mentioned and more lines up with my issues, terrible sleep, nightmares etc, cold extremeities, morning pains in the gut no diarrhea but constant constipation, a swollon spot inside around pancreas area that feels like a budlge, sometimes constant anxiety and fatigue, mental symptoms are the worst, and really bad aggresive reactions to food,

For me i have found that a predominantly liquid diet works well,

I do OJ everyday
Skim milk loaded with white sugar (to replace lost calories) and keep stress low

Sometimes very low fat cheese butnnot alot,

Soups made with low fiber veggies or gelatin,
Sometimes mangos with sugar on them

And supplements that work wonders are emodin, progesterone and dhea especially,

And i find the raw carrot works wonders,

As well as a tablespoon of coconut oil works amazing,

Ultimately for me i find doing anything that blocks cortisol and stress heals my gut issues, it got so bad in the past it felt like my whole gut and body was hardening and calcifying with fibrosis, since then ive learnt alot, i keep PUFA basically at zero personally just to not make matters worse, but i found a predominately liquid diet with some solid food like fruit or cheese and an insoluble fiber like carrot very helpful!

Interesting you got positive results from DHEA as it's an interesting one for IBD (Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) restrains intestinal inflammation by rendering leukocytes hyporesponsive and balancing colitogenic inflammatory responses - ScienceDirect). Might be impacted by previous steroid use but Crohn's sufferers do seem to have low DHEA-S levels, see: Association of humoral markers of inflammation and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate or cortisol serum levels in patients with chronic inflammatory bowel disease - ScienceDirect.

And there was this study, albeit small, that looked very promising for DHEA treatment: Error - Cookies Turned Off

The OP might wan to consider a hormone panel or, at least, a test for DHEA-S:cortisol.

Xemnoraq

Wolfgang Lutz took his Crohn’s patients off starches (except for small amounts of potato or white rice) and kept their total carbohydrate content below 72 grams. It had like a 90% success rate. Buy his book Life Without Bread.

The Specific Carbohydrate Diet (I would buy the book: breaking the vicious cycle) allows for basically zero starch, but allows as much ripe fruit (cooked at first) as you want, and seems to also have a high success rate.

Somewhere between those two diets seems to induce remission for MOST people. I myself have zero crohn’s symptoms on fruit juice and meat. And I’m still tinkering to find a long term sustainable diet since I get too weird and wired on high fruit consumption. I do pretty well on the SCD, not perfect, but I have a very complicated case due to other health issues.

I find Pancreatin 8X very helpful with my meals. Maybe others would find benefit there.

My advice: do the specific carbohydrate diet EXACTLY as described in the book. Treat that book like your Bible for a month, and be strict. If that doesn’t work, stick to the same diet, but lower your total daily carbs below 72 grams for a few months and see if that resolves it.

Food allergy / sensitivity testing through Immuno Labs in Florida is not a bad idea for anyone with a health issue.

Jini Patel’s approach of using an elemental diet to induce remission, then treating it like an infection with Wild Oregano Oil seems to help some people. You can look her up, though I personally did not benefit from her approach.

If none of those approaches work then, from what I’ve seen, you’re the minority. At that point maybe looking into more extreme measures like the already mentioned Coimbra Protocol, Autoimmune focused Carnivore Diets / see Paleomedicina Clinic in Hungary, Jean Seignalet‘s diet, Klein’s fruitarian based diet for healing IBD, stuff like that.

If you lean more towards a Colitis situation, basically none of these suggestions are what I would do, btw. This advice is specifically for Crohn’s. For Colitis I think the most important thing is a whole food diet with fermented vegetables with meals and maybe raw dairy. With Crohn’s I personally think fermented foods are more of a potential hazard, though your own mileage may vary. A central difference between the two disease states is that someone with small intestinal injury can not tolerate whole grains like brown rice whereas someone with Colitis might actually find something like Brown Rice very healing, especially if they consumed it with some pickled veggies.

I don’t suggest probiotic pills. I think they are dangerous. Either make the SCD yogurt or eat fermented veggies (at your own risk).

A classic Peat style diet with Milk and OJ and lots of sugar would be be disastrous for most people with Crohn’s, so be weary of a lot of the advice given here. Everyone means well but not everyone knows how best to treat a disease like Crohn’s.

That said: there’s a tremendous amount of interesting conjectural advice in this thread alone to which I am grateful for. Treat it as a food for thought. But if you’re suffering with Crohn’s disease right now, I would ignore most of what’s been said: Do the SCD and then try Lutz’ approach.

I don’t think most supplements are helpful.

Try Pancreatin 8X with meals which might help a bit. Ox Bile might help a bit (be careful with this.) Rosita Cod Liver Oil in winter time is (maybe) a good idea, but probably not year round.

good luck.
Why would milk with sugar and OJ be disastrous for crohns disease? Thats basically the only things i consume because its all my body can tolerate, in fact i get way less gut inflammation with those things.

The sugar would be great for keeping cortisol and free fatty acids down, theyre both liquid foods so bacteria doesnt have much opportunity to feed on them due to fast transit time and no fiber, they all have protective minerals and vitamins in them, so why would those be bad? I would think for crohns the worst things would be highly fiberous hard to digest foods like vegetables and grains, and fruit thats not perfectly ripened

japanesedude

I have found 10000IU oral Vitamin D as an immidiate help for severe gut problem. if gut flare up is stopped ,5000IU daily would be enough.
Vitamin D definately helps gut problem and Vitamin E does an opposite.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals