Crippling! Brain Fog

Obi-wan

I take artemisinin after every meal and it has stopped my brain fog. I also drink coffee in the morning and afternoon. I mostly had brain fog after lunch

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Well here's to day 1 dairy free. I'll see what happens. Feel like absolute crap, so anything is an upgrade from this.

Things that have helped me to reduce brain fog: strong lemonade, apple cider vinegar with sugar and water, strong coffee, cold showers, jumping jacks, l-lysine, selenium, molybdenum, forcing a daily routine (wake up same time, eat same time, sleep same time etc), also having real verbal conversation can be very helpful - I have found that going a really long time without talking very much tends to dampen my energy.

I had terrible brain fog and it was so annoying can totally relate to you on that. It’s like being in a room trying to talk to someone and having no more value than a doorknob because you can’t think or even maintain a conversation. Hang in there.

What I found helped my brain fog and reverse it in my system was increasing dopamine through lisuride / ltyrosine which I think I had a direct connection with high prolactin which I think was connected to my kidneys. My brain fog was still pretty rough until recent and I began to drink more water and also got ahold of some penecillin, the penecillin would zap the brain fog to a degree and I would notice short bursts of well being and I knew I was on to something. The penecillin was able to knock it down pretty well, and this allowed for further knocking out by MB, and thyroid and it has really cleared up since then. I need to get more to take it out further as I believe my system is inflamed more than anything and that helps to lower this. The water helps a lot too since I consume so much sugar.

Lurker

I read on here that brain fog can be ammonia problems. Ceylon cinnamon seems to have helped clear my head. I just add to the morning coffee a couple of days per week. Activated charcoal and progesterone (start low) seemed to generally help most people as well. All that may not resolve the underlying problem but might give you enough relief that you can then figure it all out.

trew

I had terrible brain fog and it was so annoying can totally relate to you on that. It’s like being in a room trying to talk to someone and having no more value than a doorknob because you can’t think or even maintain a conversation. Hang in there.

What I found helped my brain fog and reverse it in my system was increasing dopamine through lisuride / ltyrosine which I think I had a direct connection with high prolactin which I think was connected to my kidneys. My brain fog was still pretty rough until recent and I began to drink more water and also got ahold of some penecillin, the penecillin would zap the brain fog to a degree and I would notice short bursts of well being and I knew I was on to something. The penecillin was able to knock it down pretty well, and this allowed for further knocking out by MB, and thyroid and it has really cleared up since then. I need to get more to take it out further as I believe my system is inflamed more than anything and that helps to lower this. The water helps a lot too since I consume so much sugar.

which penicillin?

Ulysses

The thing that helped me most with brain fog was quitting coffee and caffeine altogether. I understand that many people are able to tolerate it without any problems, but I am not one of them, and maybe you aren’t, either. I understand the prevailing theory on this forum is that caffeine intolerance is merely hypothyroidism and associated liver dysfunction, and I think this is usually the case, but I’m not convinced that it’s always the case; after doing some reading elsewhere I think may have had a cerebral caffeine allergy. Anyways, try it and see what happens. My withdrawals lasted a couple of weeks and I began feeling normal again after about a month.

sam7

For the diet angle:
You can clean your bowels with laxatives and fast for a few days afterwards. If your symptoms were originating from food intolerances, SIBO or something related you should experience a significant relieve which should continue even for some days after stopping the fast.

Hi Atman, if clearing the bowels and fasting does provide significant improvement what does that mean? And what do you think should be done afterwards?
I've personally felt better from fasting but that's kind of a 'big no no' in the Peat dietary view of metabolism etc. and to be honest it kinda sucks having no energy and been hungry.

tara

Hi Atman, if clearing the bowels and fasting does provide significant improvement what does that mean?
I'm not Atman, but I would guess at least 3 possibilities for what it means:
1. Clearing the bowel could much reduce the burden of endotoxin from bacteria in the gut. There are other ways to reduce endotoxin while still getting nourished, and they may be worth investigating. Eg, maintaining good transit speed, considering which foods overfeed or discourage troublesome bacteria (raw carrot salad or cooked bamboo shoots or mushrooms are recommended by Peat), maybe stronger tactics if there is a strong need.
2. Stress hormones from hunger can have some effects that can make one feel good in some ways. Probably not something to push too far.
3. Possibly just resting the digestive system, and that autophagy mechanism, may be helpful occasionally in some contexts, but I'm not sure how you tell which contexts.

Barbarossa

Hi, have you ever been tested for PHEOCHROMOCYTOMA/ paraganglioma , I have read your threads and Your symptoms seems to be like Pheochromocytoma paraganglioma...

jet9

Are you able to work?

I have brain fog, but I'm able to control it by keeping saturated fat under 15g per day. But eating this way makes me underweight. It's tough.
PhilParma, do you still have success with keeping sat fats low? Lately I seem to get brain fog when I eat more than moderate amount of sat fats. It was never an issue before though.

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States
PhilParma, do you still have success with keeping sat fats low? Lately I seem to get brain fog when I eat more than moderate amount of sat fats. It was never an issue before though.

How you react to fats has a lot to do with your current bodyfat%

I have an easy time holding weight constant at over 60-70% cals fat when I'm below 12 but if (God forhid im ever this fat again) I'm over 20 that will make me balloon. Still, keep in mind that there are few pure sources of sat fats in nature and that accumulation of PUFA through very high fat consumption may be the real issue

PhilParma

My brain fog is mostly gone. I just kept slamming carbs, keeping fat low, but slowly increasing it. I don't limit saturated fat anymore. I guess I just needed to become more insulin sensitive. I probably did quite a bit of damage to myself in my paleo days, hopefully I've reversed some of it.

GutFeeling

For me brain fog is mainly caused by deficiency of B vitamins and zinc, and anxiety and lack of carbs and protein to a lesser degree.

Peat mentioned thiamine being pretty good for brain function.